Out of place wrestlers

Nobody really struck me as a shiter when I was a kid apart from Nikolai Volkoff. Mans in Royal Rumble 92 and even though you've got Slaughter's wig and Ric Flair's overall look confusing me about how old he was, Nikolai just looks fucking weird and ancient among them all. Lasts about a minute too. Looked it up though and he only made 3 appearances that year losing to Hercules and getting thrun out two rumbles.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Haystacks turned up just in time for the UK broadcast of Nitro starting. Which had to have something to do with it surely?

I dunno. Nitro was hardly ever promoted in the UK. And when it went to 2 in the states we still only had the one hour which would often leave out regal. 

Don't know my point here 

• Paid Members

Abdullah the Butcher in WCW. He was too extreme for the big 2 feds IMO, and his run there just seemed diluted.

Another for me was Ahmed Johnson’s run in WCW as Big T? Whatever his name was I just remember that PPV match where him and Booker were fighting over the letter T, and he was massive, as in let himself go. He wasn’t a great worker at the best of times. With the added timber, even worse. And whilst many jumped shipped and did alright, he just sank.

Not a wrestler but I always felt Jim Ross when he debuted in WWF seemed out of place. For some reason I used to hate JR during 1993. I didn't like him coming in and taking over Wrestling Challenge and some of the the ppv's. I always wanted Vince or Monsoon to commentate at Wrestlemania 9. He just didnt fit to me. He grew on me abit a few years down the line around 1995 though

Edited by MEGABUCKS

On 3/28/2020 at 8:13 PM, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

That would have been epic

I think so.
Savage hadn't been a heel for three years and apart from the Crush feud he had been largely reduced to a commentator role - they could have had Vince keep mentioning on commentary how Bret was the best and Savage taking greater umbrage with it over time and I honestly think it could have decent business for that time.

Shame Vince had all but given up on Savage by that point.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I think so.
Savage hadn't been a heel for three years and apart from the Crush feud he had been largely reduced to a commentator role - they could have had Vince keep mentioning on commentary how Bret was the best and Savage taking greater umbrage with it over time and I honestly think it could have decent business for that time.

Shame Vince had all but given up on Savage by that point.

Rarely a truer word spoken.

Savage was incredible. The bits and pieces he did from early 1993 right through to the match with Crush at Mania 10 and beyond were always tremendous. He still looked great, talked brilliantly and worked good. The madness (pun intended) of phasing him out while Backlund was still working full time, Lawler was working constantly and Piper was dipping in and out against the pretence of "new generation" is understated. Lawler was brilliant but Savage should have been working for years just below the main event, occasionally dipping in when needed. He could have gone heel but he could easily have worked face/face with Bret for Mania 9, had a great series to elevate HBK, helped Razor and Diesel and numerous others. He was still tremendous. WCW proved it.

His intensity in 93 was increadible (as always to be fair.)

I actually enjoyed his commentary but think I'm in the minority there. An underrated angle had Savage being held back by Vince McMahon while Savage was trying to go for someone, Crush I assume, only for Savage to push McMahon over and get involved in a full on brawl. 

There were some other things in that time, but my memory is a little sketchy. He buried Hogan on commentary in what was a rare shoot promo for the time. He ran into the ring a few times from commentary to even the odds when a face was getting beat up. Stuff like that always is a fun watch and got a big pop. 

He definitely had SO much more to offer WWF. 

I'd love to know what the beef was between Savage and Vince in the end, assuming the Stephanie rumour is bullshit.  Vince forgives everyone, and yet Savage never got any recognition again from WWF/E until he died.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'd love to know what the beef was between Savage and Vince in the end, assuming the Stephanie rumour is bullshit.  Vince forgives everyone, and yet Savage never got any recognition again from WWF/E until he died.

The most convincing story I ever heard was that Vince saw it as a personal betrayal; that him and Savage were genuinely close, and so jumping ship to WCW with nothing more than a last minute phone call and no notice - when one of the things that put Savage in good stead early in his career is that after signing with the WWF he insisted on working his remaining dates in Memphis first, so it was Savage not giving Vince the same courtesy that Vince allowed him to show others.

The other thing that I think people don't consider is that some of the issue might have been at Savage's end - especially after retirement, he seemed perfectly happy to be completely out of the business and out of the picture. Everyone assumes that it was Vince having heat with Randy, it might be that Randy just had no interest doing business.

• Paid Members

Depends how true the Meltzer stories are that Savage had offers from them in 97.  That along with Vince cutting that brilliant, classy goodbye promo. To go from that to him being the one guy they never brought back is very odd.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Probably nothing in this, but a Savage promo for the WWE All Stars video game had been posted in early 2011. Perhaps signs that they were on better terms again (I know 2K produced a lot of segments like this independently). By all accounts they may well have brought him back that year or soon after given the chance, for a HOF induction if nothing else. 

Pretty good promo as well - still an incredible voice even at that age.