Out of place wrestlers

Bret Hart in WCW never felt right, even when he had the strap. I love the Big Gold Belt, but it literally didn't even look right on him. You could tell Bret's heart was never in it and his head was fucked from Montreal and Owen's passing. Also the booking was crap.

Edited by IronSheik

As a kid just getting in to wrestling, Ric Flair in the WWF seemed like the oddest thing in the world.
Baring in mind, I knew nothing about Flairs career. I just saw this old guy, regular sized, normal physique, in there against all these larger than life characters,
Seriously, first PPV I ever saw was Royal Rumble 1992 and I honestly wondered who the old dude was and why he won.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

As a kid just getting in to wrestling, Ric Flair in the WWF seemed like the oddest thing in the world.
Baring in mind, I knew nothing about Flairs career. I just saw this old guy, regular sized, normal physique, in there against all these larger than life characters,
Seriously, first PPV I ever saw was Royal Rumble 1992 and I honestly wondered who the old dude was and why he won.

I was the same actually. Especially since the "Nature Boy" name makes fuck all sense.

It actually worked for me though because I thought he was a weedy cunt who didn't belong in the WWF, yet he just kept getting really really lucky. I was raging (at Hogan!) when he won the Rumble.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Probably nothing in this, but a Savage promo for the WWE All Stars video game had been posted in early 2011. Perhaps signs that they were on better terms again (I know 2K produced a lot of segments like this independently). By all accounts they may well have brought him back that year or soon after given the chance, for a HOF induction if nothing else. 

Pretty good promo as well - still an incredible voice even at that age. 

I know its the most cliched description associated with Savage, but his intensity really is off the charts, even in promoting a video game.

Something quite jarring about him speaking on top of video of virtual Savage wrestling Sheamus, Morrison, and Kofi, all of whom are still in WWE and whose looks haven't changed very much since that game.  Think how much Savage's look changed in a decade of his career. 

Edited by bbabba

Similar to Bret in the WCW i would go with Vader and to some extent The Steiners in WWF.

Both came in with reputations for overwhelming opponents and headlining but Vince gave Vader to lose to Savio fn Vega and the Steiners trading belts with Money Inc and the Quebecers. Waste of talent. 

I don’t know if it was a case of the Steiners hearts not being in it as they were still taking New Japan dates while in WWF. Supposedly Vince wanted to split them up quite early on too and have Scott be the one to feud with Yokozuna rather than Lugar.

Speaking of which, Lex Lugar in the WWF has got to be one of the biggest flops/wasted opportunities ever hasn’t it? I didn’t watch WCW as a kid, I never saw it until Nitro came on TNT after Cartoon Network. But I knew of WCW and knew that Lugar was one of their biggest stars, so the WWF luring him away must mean he’s worth something surely. Narcissis was OK, simple enough bad guy stuff, then out of nowhere he’s Mr USA and celebrating a count out win.

”Yay! I won!”- ”But you didn’t win the belt Lex”- ”yeah, but I won!”- “no you didn’t, your not the champ”

From that point on, total loser and watching the rest of his WWF run after that is a harrowing experience. Losing the popular vote to Bret at the Rumble, allowing a previous enemy to ref his match at Mania (they make a point of “both men agreed to this”), losing to heel Tatanka in 6minutes at Summerslam, pinned by Bundy at Survivor Series, jerking the curtain at Mania in a nothing Tag Team match and his final WWF appearance saw him taking out Sir Mo. Never fit into the fed, should never have left Atlanta

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

10 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

I was the same actually. Especially since the "Nature Boy" name makes fuck all sense.

It actually worked for me though because I thought he was a weedy cunt who didn't belong in the WWF, yet he just kept getting really really lucky. I was raging (at Hogan!) when he won the Rumble.

It was the opposite for me. I didn't really know much about Flair, though I think we had the galoob figures by that point, but I was instantly taken with him. Pretty sure like SBA, I first saw him on Royal Rumble 1992 (I remember renting the 1991 Survivor Series from the video shop but I reckon that would have been later given how long it took for tapes to come out) and immediately bought into him being a shitbag then was just as instantly taken by how tremendous he was and by the time he cut that brilliant promo afterwards, I was on board. In hindsight, I can see how it would have been very weird for anyone familiar with him and they also didn't do a great job with it but I thought he was ace. I was chuffed that Bret beat him though.

1 hour ago, Sheffbag said:

Similar to Bret in the WCW i would go with Vader and to some extent The Steiners in WWF.

Both came in with reputations for overwhelming opponents and headlining but Vince gave Vader to lose to Savio fn Vega and the Steiners trading belts with Money Inc and the Quebecers. Waste of talent. 

Vader I'd agree with. Saw plenty of him in WCW 1993 and even earlier on some tapes when he had the mask with the pyro in it. He was very much a WCW guy. I thought the Steiners were a cracking act though. great theme music, great look and moves. The problem was the people they had to work with. They were secondary to Money Inc initially, then had to go back and forth with them when Money Inc were a massive drag of an act. In hindsight, they should have put the belts on them ASAP, had a solid feud with the Headshrinkers, perhaps used some of the singles guys who weren't doing anything to give them some credible guys to beat while they built their new teams, MOM, Gunns, Well Dunn and Quebecers. Although, fuck me, that's a depressing list of new teams.

• Paid Members

I loved the Steiners vs Headshrinkers at WrestleMania and the Heavenly Bodies match at SummerSlam. And of course the Coliseum Video match with Bret and Owen. Aside from that, yeah there wasn’t much to work with.

I guess they could’ve had a match/matches with Diesel and Shawn, which could’ve been great. But it probably wouldn’t have been a long term thing. Looking back I wish we got a Steiners vs 123 Kid and Marty Jannetty match around that time. That would’ve been fun. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, IronSheik said:

Polka dot Dusty in the WWF.

Having now discovered the mans incredible legacy before his Federation run it makes sense that he never quite got over to the level he should. Plus the fucking polka dots...

Nah, Dusty was great in the WWF. Embraced everything they threw at him, had great fun with the vignettes and got over huge. Was never going to be at the main event level but wouldn't have been elsewhere at that point either. 

Warrior in wcw deserves a mention!

Go and watch the whole 98 thing. He just seems so not 'wcw' and out of place. 

Doesn't help that he was rusty as f**k and wcw didn't 'police' his "ahem" creativity ala wwf. 

Warrior in wcw 98 felt like sting in wwf.  Neither fit outside their own world