Out of place wrestlers

Dusty Rhodes wrestling in TNA was really odd considering he'd been retired for ages by that point I thought.  Although looking it up now he never really retired until he went to WWE as a creative.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Callum1993 said:

If I remember rightly he had a few matches in WWE after that as well. I recall a bull rope match with Randy Orton at some point. 

Good memory. Dunno if says more about them or me but I can vividly remember him wrestling on the last WCW PPV, in ECW and in TNA but absolutely nothing from WWE.

6 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Good memory. Dunno if says more about them or me but I can vividly remember him wrestling on the last WCW PPV, in ECW and in TNA but absolutely nothing from WWE.

Wasn't there a Dusty, Golddust and Stardust vs. The Shield match?

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Sheffbag said:

Was watching some vintage memphis last night from 89 and it reminded me that Doug Gilbert got a shot in the Rumble one year didn't he? Was it 95/6?

'96. There were some odd ones in that Rumble - as well as Gilbert, Takao Omori was in there, Dory Funk, and the Samoan Squat/Swat/can't remember Team.

I've been binging on 90s AJPW during lockdown as its pure comfort food for me. A few bizarre appearances worth noting such as:

Suspenders and enormous chest era Tommy Dreamer vs Akira Taue. A baffling match I previously thought would only occur in Fire Pro (specifically Fire Pro being played by a deranged perv.)

Big Boss Man. Obviously an absolutely tremendous big man worker in the late 80s/early 90s but you just dont expect to see a big fat guy dressed up as a rozzer taking huge bumps for Kobashi.

• Paid Members

Ultimo Dragon was a weird one.

I was a fan from his WCW days but in WWE he was just a guy in a mask who wasn't Rey Mysterio. I remember there being rumours that they were going to unmask him, turn him heel and repackage him as "Asai", but it never happened. It was really odd seeing him in the piss break matches.

Thinking about it, the entire WWF light-heavyweight division was out of place for years. Kaientai, for example, got brought in to work with Taka, but then he joined them, and they had no one to work with. They were just comically tiny jobbers for years until Taka and Funaki started doing the voiceover gimmick.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Big Boss Man. Obviously an absolutely tremendous big man worker in the late 80s/early 90s but you just dont expect to see a big fat guy dressed up as a rozzer taking huge bumps for Kobashi.

I had no idea Boss Man faced Kobashi, that sounds great!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator