Out of place wrestlers

• Paid Members

What about The Sandman on Raw in two-thousand and something? Only lasted a few months, but it was bizarre. In fact, looking at Wikipedia, he teamed with Hacksaw Jim Duggan at some point! Fin Martin must have been loving that. 

• Paid Members

Nowhere near as ‘sore thumb’ as most of the mentions here but I always found Jake The Snake in WCW in 1992 really weird.

And Michael Hayes teaming with the Hardys smack bang in the middle of the WWF’s Attitude Era in 1999. 

8 hours ago, DCW said:

Perfect coming back in 2002 and ending up slumming it on Heat with the likes of Tommy Dreamer was weird and kinda sad.

He was a weird fit for Heat.  But I thought he fit in nicely into a roster that included Angle, Benoit, Eddie, Lesnar etc.  His legit athlete look and style were fine for that post-Attitude roster.

Unfortunately, they dropped him down the order so quickly it feels like we missed out on a lot of potentially great top card feuds.  I know they only signed him for fuck the XWF but still... coming off the Rumble final four he looked great.

5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Bob Backlund was probably the first one I ever noticed. In retrospect, he wasn't even that old, but he just felt like such a colourless old man from this bygone age in amongst the cast of strange and larger than life gimmicks. 

Yeah, I totally agree with you. Backlund's crazy old man character just seemed out of place.

That said, I did like the later run that he did with Darren Young,  although that seemed to go nowhere.

3 hours ago, Statto said:

He did have a titantron where he snorted the a-shaped road in his logo out of his nose like an angry cartoon character snorts steam, though:

Fucking hell, didn't put much effort into that did they.

Davey and Neidhart in 98 WCW is always near the top of this list. I'm rewatching early 98 WCW at the moment, and its so fucking weird. You have a star-studded top of the card with Hogan making himself the centrepiece and you kind of want him out the way a bit, surrounded by Savage, Bret, Flair, Sting, Hall, Nash, Luger, etc...you have an incredible lineup of midcard talent like Benoit, Jericho, Rey, Guerrero, Juvi, Psychosis, Booker getting hot, DDP and Raven having a good feud, Goldberg ruling the world for five minutes. Its the makings of a truly brilliant promotion. And then you have all these guys come out where you think...what the fuck are you doing here? Wayne Bloom? Chris Adams? Rick Martel is back? Marty Jannetty? Bulldog and Anvil as a nothing happening tag team? MIKE ENOS? There was a WCW magazine around this time that had a big article on the newcomers to the promotion, and it was running through this lot, and left you thinking...why were any of these people hired? The answer is to do jobs and they wanted people for Thunder, fine. But half the promotion was suddenly overran with people you were never going to care about, and its one match after the other, here comes another guy it felt like you hadn't thought about for ten years. The Bulldog/Hennig feud of the spring of 98 is really miserable stuff.

Also on this note, when Goldust first came back in 2002 for the feud with Van Dam, he felt like such an outdated relic. But bless him, Dustin found a way to be awesome as soon as they started the deal with him and Booker. 

In addition, you forget Boss Man came back at the end of 01 to work with Austin. After the Invasion and all those new guys at their disposal, that was an odd one considering the talent they were pissing away on the regular.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Moderators

Mike Enos was great though. Really really fucking great. Definitely one of the most underrated on the roster at the time. Him vs Benoit was magic every time and a super solid hand whenever he appeared. 

Nearly every ECW original who cropped up in WWE after One Night Stand. Like someone said, Sandman being one, but Balls Mahoney, The FBI, Roadkill etc. are other examples. Even the BWO had a stint, didn't they? Just odd having them involved with WWE at that time 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Nearly every ECW original who cropped up in WWE after One Night Stand. Like someone said, Sandman being one, but Balls Mahoney, The FBI, Roadkill etc. are other examples. Even the BWO had a stint, didn't they? Just odd having them involved with WWE at that time 

It's pretty cool that there's a feud, PPV match etc between John Cena and Sabu but it is weird as well. 

It’s not always people being a relic that makes them out of place either, Dean Malenko never really fit in the WWF, they kept trying but it was never quite right. Until he got all Bond Sexy of course.

And there’s your Kurrgans, Alberts and Lars Sullivans who would have been great if they were around to face Hogan in the 80s.

Recently, Cody in New Japan just didn’t work, his skills didn’t suit it and made him look bland as fuck.

I really think that Sandman in WWE was actually pretty good, I mean, he’s incredibly limited (Shit) but he’s kind of lovable and he always got over.

Id have loved Perfect to get a big run in 2002 but I reckon the rumble was all he had left sadly.

• Moderators

I remember how hot the crowd were for the Sandman possibly being Vince's son during the elimination game when hornswoggle was revealed. 

Sandman as Vince's son is the greatest missed opportunity in wrestling ever. I think you sunned it up perfectly. He's just lovable somehow. 

Edited by PowerButchi

Could have had Vince teaching him how to be rich, bringing him to the gym, getting him on the nicorette patches and all that craic. Much better than the original idea of Ken fucking Kennedy, thankfully he ballsed that up nicely by himself and that pharmacy scandal.

Helps that Sandman has charisma for days. Also helps that he couldn't wrestle beyond his character because he was shit. Takes a great understanding of character to not show wrestling skills beyond it but he doesn't need that. 

Finlay felt really strange when he first came back to the 'E. Started to make sense after a while but was odd at first, as was Dave Taylor. 

The whole of TNA's history is full of oddities but seeing Ricky Steamboat involved with that first PPV still feels strange.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, DCW said:

Could have had Vince teaching him how to be rich, bringing him to the gym, getting him on the nicorette patches and all that craic.

Ha. Like an updated version of Steven Regal refining the country bumpkin Bobby Eaton into Earl Robert when they became the Blue Bloods.