Out of place wrestlers

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

The Dudleys looked every bit as out of place as Public Enemy for a little while with that dodgy gear and the stuttering gimmick. They got over so bloody quickly though. It felt like one minute they were sinking, the next they were stars. You could do that in that era. Rikishi went from Poundland Yokozuna to mega-over babyface in about 6 weeks.

I was thinking about Rikishi the other day. It's weird that a fat Samoan man in a thong, who's act was rubbing his ass in other men's faces, and danced a little, managed to not be a complete comedy act and have a certain amount of credibility. He was very over for a spell. It's an act I suspect would be ridiculed and made fun of for years if around now. 

Imo Rikishi was a very sound wrestler, probably underrated in that regard, and deserved the longevity he had. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

The Blue Meanie in WWF was a signing that was just crazy, really. One note comedy act, a look that would probably make Vince vomit on the hour and had zero leverage with any other promotion. Its like Russo just went "he's shit, let's bring him in."

I wonder how much of that kind of thing was both WWF and WCW seeing that ECW was getting a ton of buzz, but not really understanding why. Without knowing exactly which bits were getting over, maybe they were just throwing shit at the wall and hoping they'd find the magic combination of ECW talent and ideas they needed.

Either that or Vince wanted to laugh at the fat bloke dancing.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
On 4/8/2020 at 2:23 PM, Merzbow said:

Sabu felt so out of place wherever he went outside of ECW, his stints in WWE, WCW and TNA were all so strange.

Absolutely bewildering to this day that he had a main event feud with John Cena. How the fuck did that happen.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:13 PM, LEGIT said:

I was thinking about Rikishi the other day. It's weird that a fat Samoan man in a thong, who's act was rubbing his ass in other men's faces, and danced a little, managed to not be a complete comedy act and have a certain amount of credibility. He was very over for a spell. It's an act I suspect would be ridiculed and made fun of for years if around now. 

Imo Rikishi was a very sound wrestler, probably underrated in that regard, and deserved the longevity he had. 

I remember that Smackdown episode where Howard Finkel messed up that “Random drawing” Triple H had to determine who would challenge for his title and accidentally picked Rikishi.

And like you say, despite being a largely comedy act, there was a genuine aura of “oh shit, here we go”

Edited by Wrasslin

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Wrasslin said:

I remember that Smackdown episode where Howard Finkel messed up that “Random drawing” Triple H had to determine who would challenge for his title and accidentally picked Rikishi.

And like you say, despite being a largely comedy act, there was a genuine aura of “oh shit, here we go”

He wasn't a comedy act then, I don't think. He was a big, dangerous guy who danced. There's a fine line that makes a massive difference. Once he turned heel and then back again, it was never the same. Then, he was a comedy act.

Kish was incredible in 2000. I popped huge when he won the IC belt. Took that ridiculous dive off a cage too. And that pop when he got picked out as HHH's challenger. He was tremendous. 

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

He wasn't a comedy act then, I don't think. He was a big, dangerous guy who danced. There's a fine line that makes a massive difference. Once he turned heel and then back again, it was never the same. Then, he was a comedy act.

Kish was incredible in 2000. I popped huge when he won the IC belt. Took that ridiculous dive off a cage too. And that pop when he got picked out as HHH's challenger. He was tremendous. 

I thought they'd were gonna do a similar thing with Brodus Clay, make him a face that like to have fun but can be a monster when he needs too, I think only hint of that was he stood up to Big Show when Show was ripping through lower card guys.

Kish was great, shame they turned him back face after the drive by stuff could've been a good upper heel threat before getting to Trips etc