Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

There's a vaccination centre right by my house and when the vaccines were first rolled out and through the summer, it was busy but nowhere near as busy as it was today when I went to get my 3rd. Anecdotal, but seems people are really up for avoiding another lockdown of some kind through getting a booster.

3 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's like a Christmas rush. 

Good point.

Johnson is addressing the nation at 8pm tonight. Given he will not be implementing new restrictions (reportedly), it seems the only reason he's not just doing a news conference is to avoid the obvious questions from journalists.

• Paid Members

I reckon it's to double down on that party that wasn't a party definitely not having been a party now that he's been photographed there. I'd give it at least another week before he decides to announce another lockdown. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

9 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I reckon it's to double down on that party that wasn't a party definitely not having been a party now that he's been photographed there. I'd give it at least another week before he decides to announce another lockdown. 

I reckon he'll also say something along the lines of "in order to avoid any further restrictions, especially restrictions around social contact, you must all now go get your booster". We don't have much lead time for that, though, if the reports earlier this week about the government advisors saying we'd need more stringent national measures on or before 18th December were correct.

Edited by 69MeDon

Everyone having had a booster by the end of this month doesn't seem feasible to me but I'm not in logistics. 23 million people in two and a bit weeks? Especially given, it's going to be Christmas. People will be travelling, people will be off work etc.

Edited by 69MeDon

1 hour ago, 69MeDon said:

Everyone having had a booster by the end of this month doesn't seem feasible to me but I'm not in logistics. 23 million people in two and a bit weeks? 

If its possible to give 23m people their booster within two and a bit weeks then why didn't they do that to begin with when the boosters were first introduced?

42 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The daily average to hit the government target was 500,000 doses a day. The current average is under 400,000. So how is this going to be achieved?

It's an impossible target, setting up the "alas" press conference on Xmas eve and another set of punitive-but-dilatory measures.