General Erection 2019

Gus Mears

Who are you voting for?  

213 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I agree, but he could have done a 30 minute speech and not touched half the shit Johnson has done. And presumably Neil made such a big deal of antisemitism with Corbyn because it was in the headlines that day as the Chief Rabbi had written his piece in the newspaper.

The electorate doesn’t give a fuck about antisemitism yet it seems to be talked about all the time in the media  

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, waters44 said:

The electorate doesn’t give a fuck about antisemitism yet it seems to be talked about all the time in the media  

It's in the media all the time because the mainstream media is overwhelmingly right-leaning, and that's why Neil isn't doing his job properly and why his interviews are blustering shit. Anti-semitism *should* be an issue, but not in conjunction with a man who has campaigned against racism his entire career.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

How much of a difference would a Johnson interview with Brillo actually make?  As has been said continually, vast swathes of Johnsons voter base already know or don't care that he is racist liar and will still vote for his party. I don't think it would make a significant difference anyway, what is changing opinion is Labour on the campaign trail, as AOC said, don't read polls, change them.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

How much of a difference would a Johnson interview with Brillo actually make?  As has been said continually, vast swathes of Johnsons voter base already know or don't care that he is racist liar and will still vote for his party.

I just watched Fahrenheit 11/9 and an analyst on that talked about how many of Trump's voters didn't care if he was a liar, all they cared about was that they felt like he was on their side. Johnson's parroting of Get Brexit Done is comparable - he's appealing to the Leavers and that's really all he needs to do, many don't care if he's a racist and a liar. Neil 'revealing' what we all already know about Johnson is going to make no difference at all. If anything, Johnson has done one useful thing finally in his life and that's anger Andrew Neil.

7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Isn’t Andrew Neil paid by the Brothers Behind the Spectator who Johnson already does stuff far or have I got my tin foil hats crossed?

Yeah he is, have a look at James O'Brien's Twitterwhere he keeps asking Brillo how much they pay him to give Breitbart and Neo Nazis a voice.

20 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I just watched Fahrenheit 11/9 and an analyst on that talked about how many of Trump's voters didn't care if he was a liar, all they cared about was that they felt like he was on their side. Johnson's parroting of Get Brexit Done is comparable - he's appealing to the Leavers and that's really all he needs to do, many don't care if he's a racist and a liar.

Yep, straight from the Steve Bannon playbook.  Sickens me how people with nothing on the lowest rungs of society see Johnson as one of them.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Sickens me how people with nothing on the lowest rungs of society see Johnson as one of them.

I've just watched a report where people in unimaginable desperation are either not sure who they're going to vote for or even say that they like what 'Boris' is saying. I really don't understand how "not the Tories" isn't an automatic answer if you're one of these very unfortunate people. Somebody was so moved by the sight of a woman with 14 pence to her name and a pack of bacon, loaf of bread and two pints of milk to last her and her son a fortnight that she's just set up a crowdfunder for them and people in a similar situation. Even a couple of quid will make a lot of difference to these people.

• Awards Moderator

I've just had a message from my mum asking about the best site to look at for tactical voting. Her constituency has a Tory incumbent and she doesn't much care who gets in, she just wants the Tory out. Going to be an uphill struggle because the Tory is the only one who's got the banners and billboards out, but she's a good mum for trying. Which link should I send her that'll help most?

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Corbyn has just leaked a confidential report which has just proved Johnson's no border in the sea as bullshit, as if that will surprise anyone 

And it probably won't make much difference. They've already got to work closing ranks and rubbishing the stuff he leaked before, putting the whole "It Woz The Russians Wot Done It" taint on them.

• Paid Members

I'd check: https://tacticalvoting.jonworth.eu/

It's just one guy doing it, but he's quite obsessively analysed all the different guides out there on a seat-by-seat basis. The link above will let you find a shareable video that's just him saying which way to vote, or you can check https://tacticalvoting.jonworth.eu/the-original-guide/ for more details about how he came to his conclusion for each seat.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Fuck Andrew Neil. Johnson isn't going to do it and Neil knows that. It's too fucking late. He stuck Corbyn and Swinson out there and yelled over the top of them under the bullshit pretence that Johnson would get the same. He can stuff his Tough Guy (thumbs up) act up his arse.

13 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

How much of a difference would a Johnson interview with Brillo actually make?  As has been said continually, vast swathes of Johnsons voter base already know or don't care that he is racist liar and will still vote for his party. I don't think it would make a significant difference anyway, what is changing opinion is Labour on the campaign trail, as AOC said, don't read polls, change them.

I think this is the best outcome. Johnson looks like the coward he is and Neil gives him a proper rinsing over it rather than being soft as shit when they sit down together.

Not that it matters, of course. None of it does. This is a disheartening campaign.

A brilliant moment in our office at work earlier where a group of five of us were calmly discussing the election, who we were voting for and why with some good, structured arguments from all involved to back up their choices. A sixth bloke who had been sat quietly at his desk stands up and the following ensues:

Bloke: "I'm not voting Tory but I can't vote for Labour because Corbyn is a fucking Marxist."

Me, putting the worm on the fishing hook: "Bloke, what IS a Marxist?"

Bloke: "Well..... it's.. it's errrm...... What do you think about the lib dems wanting another referendum?"

Me: "No, what's a Marxist. You've said that's the reason you won't vote labour, do you know what one is?"

Bloke: No.

And that seems to be a bit of a recurring theme, folk just parroting shit they've been told or just repeating party slogans. We've had another fella in who has said he's voting Conservative and backed this up by just repeating "Well Johnson is Getting Brexit Done isn't he" and "The Lib Dems are ignoring The Will Of The People". Fucks sake.

Rees-Mogg has finally emerged from the shadows in North East Somerset, to make his first - and only - public appearance of the campaign.

What makes this notable is the choice of picture to accompany the headline on my local 'Somerset Live' news website:

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/general-election-2019-jacob-rees-3614056