WWE Crown Jewel 2019

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Thinking about Brock/Cain and the finish for Fury/Strowman - I wonder how much of the way Brock/Cain was booked is because the Saudis couldn't get UFC, and so wanted something that resembled UFC enough to fill that gap. Maybe it was presented locally as if it was a legit rematch.

With the Fury/Strowman finish - I kind of like that WWE realise that they're running these shows to an audience who haven't been jaded by 30+ years of TV wrestling, so can get away with finishes that wouldn't get over elsewhere. If the audience haven't learned that a count out or a DQ is a "lesser" finish than a pinfall or submission, then it casts that result in a different light.

• Paid Members

Sounds like the Valasquez match was so short because his knee's more fucked than they realised.

I don't think the Fury finish really came off as a cheap/fluke/screwjob countout. It was a pretty decisive knockout that just happened to be outside the ring. (Completely different setting and context, but in the old British wrestling, a countout was treated exactly the same as a knockout, though that was largely because you didn't have brawling outside the ring, so a countout was usually from somebody being hit so hard they fell out the ring.)

• Paid Members

I feel like I was watching a different show than a lot of other people in this thread. I thought it was just as much of a Saudi Shit Show as usual. Maybe it was the terrible audio sync issues with the network that meant I heard everything 10-15 seconds before I saw it, but this show seemed like garbage to me. 

• Paid Members

In my dreams that's how the first Brock/Cain fight would have went, so delighted Brock finally got to show the world he's still the hardest man to drink Coors Light. It's a shame this didn't happen 4 or 5 years ago because the MMA crowd would be having a right old cry about it. Oh well.

The match itself was a hunk of shite, but I figured they realised they needed to get Cain out there quick. Either they realise he's awful or that knee is useless - so much so a nutter like Cain can't work around it; a man that was training with a back so bad, his legs would go numb after 20 minutes of work.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You watch AEW!

Yes, and it's my biggest criticism of their style, and of modern wrestling in general - the rot set in with WWE long before AEW ever came about, so anything that deviates from that sense of what constitutes an "epic" in a post-Undertaker vs. Triple H self-indulgent finisher-fest world is fine with me. Variety is good.

I wasn’t expecting much from Brock/Cain, but I was expecting more than that. Didn’t have an issue with them playing it as an MMA match, that’s the history of the two guys so you’ve got to play to that strength, but I was expecting more than 2 minutes.

Skipped the Tag Team World Cup because I wasn’t interested in it. I could’ve sworn they announced it a 19 Team Gauntlet Match and though to myself “fuck that!”. Even at 9 teams, it got skipped.

Fury/Strowman was as good as it was ever going to be, but Fury did OK and it could’ve been far worse.

I wouldn’t mind the red lighting if done in short bursts and there was a kayfabe reason for it, seen as The Fiend can does other wacky & spooky shit. Instead it happens with no explanation and at times makes things difficult to see. Suprised they put the belt on Wyatt and no idea where they go with things, but hopefully fucks off for a while, I’m sick of the rat-faced knacker

I only remember it being used in one match, which was the Mankind match at Survivor Series. They didn’t do it for his next match (Vader at In Your House Feb 98), but I don’t know if they did it on House Shows between then

It ran for a while when he come and squash jobbers and do beat downs on main guys, but like I say I only remember it being used for one actual match

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

Personally think the red light nonesense for The Fiend's matches are making them unwatchable.

100% agree. I was really struggling to see certain parts of the match and almost gave up. They need to nip it in the bud, Can't be good for the audience in the arena and looks awful on TV. If they want to use it for his entrance I can live with that. But the lights to come on when he blows out the lantern.

He is the best thing they have at the moment. I give it 2 months before it's ruined.

• Paid Members

The Kane wasn't anywhere near as irritating. More like a heat lamp you have for a tortoise. This one makes everything red and then to top it off, it's a falls count anywhere match so when they wander away from the ring, you can't see a thing. Idiots.

image.png.1d79af561cff7e51941526eba92e82a9.png

image.png.83719f733d8ab0fb2440f83ede7dc077.png