WWE Crown Jewel 2019

Hannibal Scorch

Meltzer is suggesting its more than just a plane delay. Said "Some notes since nobody can say anything. WWE had a problem in Saudi Arabia..." and that with Smackdown starting in 17 hours and it being a 14 hour flight, the last he heard the talent wasn't going to be allowed to leave for a lot longer than three hours.

I reckon MBS is having a word about the booking.

They could, but there’s also the issue of 60% of an arena of people who have bought a ticket to see them in Buffalo.

There’s plenty of talent who didn’t go to Saudi Arabia surely. They’ll be able to put a show on. Of course, it’ll ruin the draft immediately, but that was inevitable soon anyway.

Enjoyed that about as much as I can enjoy a Saudi show really.

Thought Tyson Fury put in a better shift than expected. Not that he was fantastic but no one expected him to be. Definitely felt like a big time player and the crowd were into him.

Highlight of the show for me was the womens match. I know it's easy to be cynical and say that it doesn't mean shit because they're still going to Saudi and all the problems that go with that. Fair enough. But it clearly meant a lot to a lot of people, and it was a genuinely emotional moment. I like Lacey Evans far more because of it. It's nice to have something real every so often.

Fury carries himself like the man. Looked like he was having a blinder of a time. Can definitely see him popping up more in the future.

From what I've seen, a vast improvement on their previous Saudi shows (not saying much but still) in that I actually gave two shits about stuff

• Paid Members

Seen some clips of Strowman/Fury, with Fury looking a bit naff, and the entire Cain Velasquez vs. Brock Lesnar match.

I don't think there's anyone in American wrestling better at fitting a story into a short sprint of a match than Lesnar. It's not how I'd have booked it, but it's probably, in spite of his loss, the most protected Cain Velasquez could have looked. If the title hadn't been on the line, I'd have had him go over in a match of that length, and had Brock win the rematch, but for whatever reason they felt the need to involve the belt.

It also illustrates what I've long said about Brock - people criticise him for having a "formula", but he's the least formulaic guy in WWE, and genuinely the least predictable. No one else is having mad worked shoot matches, jobbing to Goldberg in seconds in the main event of a pay-per-view, having weapon-filled plunder-fests, plus the kind of matches he had with Bryan, AJ or Balor. You genuinely never quite know what you're getting with him, and that's why he feels so special - it's not just that he's booked stronger, or booked to be more important, or more dominant, he's the only person on the roster who's booked like a real human being, and a real fighter; sometimes he'll lose because of his hubris, but he'll learn from his mistakes, and he'll adapt for his opponent, change up his gameplan based on what didn't work last time, and everything else you don't get from the usual WWE "every match exists in a vacuum" house style.

Now, what I was expecting was that we'd get something akin to how the match went, Brock wouldn't be able to beat Cain that easily, and he would bust out a couple of lucha spots to catch Lesnar off-guard - I figured the involvement of Rey Mysterio was as a precursor to Velasquez doing some of that stuff. So I'm hoping that's how things go with the rematch instead.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

I had fuck all interest in this show until I read the spoilers from the two World title matches and then I had to have a look. Downloaded and skipped through it.

The crowd were great. Their reaction to Roman, to the women (apart from whoever threw the bottle), to Fury, to Mansoor all elevated things a level.

Brock/Cain was a surprise. Unlike Bomber, I haven't got a clue what i was expecting but it was something longer and less one sided than this. The commentary playing out like it was a legit rematch was crazy.

The self high-fiving of everyone in the women's match was sickening. Did Lacey has to wear less make-up and smile throughout as part of the deal? What's that about? Not a knock on their work, they did a good job but the whole thing stunk. The one redeeming feature was the excitement on the faces of the girls in the crowd.

Fury and Strowman wasn't terrible but very clunky in places. Commentary here was good and covered for a lot of Fury's flaws. He carried himself well. Finish was shite.

Couldn't stand to watch the main event. It looked like shit. Massive overkill in that finish. Not sure how those packing boxes exploded either 🤣

Interesting outcome. Guess this was all a boost for Smackdown with two "world" titles on the show for this week. Smart stuff. Half the roster being stuck in Saudi might have ruined it though.