Talking Pictures is the greatest TV channel in history.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I also see he was the guy who made the 1996 Island of Dr. Moreau

Sort of. He was the guy hired after Richard Stanley was fired, so he was on a bit of a failed and possibly misguided rescue mission. The documentary about the making of that film very much worth watching. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, waters44 said:

I’ve had a look through the next week of listings and I don’t recognise much (which doesn’t mean a lot tbh) however one thing did stick out -

Black Sunday 1977. It sticks out because it’s directed by John Frankenheimer who I’ve heard of, and the cast includes Robert Shaw and Bruce Dern. Has anyone seen it? Any good?

It's really well written, acted and made, but it flopping isn't a huge surprise. Partly to do with the marketing. Massive, if obvious, spoiler below.

Spoiler

So, the whole marketing is about how there's a plot to blow up the Goodyear Blimp at the Superbowl. It's what the poster is, it's what it looks like it's about. And coming after various disaster movies and the like, you're setting up the expectation that the Goodyear Blimp will EXPLODE AT THE SUPERBOWL IN THIS MOVIE. Which it doesn't. You know what films don't have a Blimp blowing up at the Superbowl? Every film. But this is the only one that sets up the expectation of it and doesn't deliver.

Imagine if they killed the Shark from Jaws before it killed anyone, or if the Towering Inferno was about them managing to stop a fire before it got out of control. If this was the film where the Blimp blew up at the Superbowl, it'd still be talked about. Instead, it's yet another film that doesn't have a blimp blowing up at the Superbowl.

Again, it's good. Just that I can see why it didn't do better.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Sort of. He was the guy hired after Richard Stanley was fired, so he was on a bit of a failed and possibly misguided rescue mission. The documentary about the making of that film very much worth watching. 

Yeh, I was told that was worth a watch - think @Chris B recommended it on here too. Thanks.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Yeh, I was told that was worth a watch - think @Chris B recommended it on here too. Thanks.

It's a great documentary, but with a major caveat involving allegations around the main subject which has made it far less appealing for me to rewatch. (As pointed out earlier, he's contesting them and is apparently talking about legal action, so won't go into detail on here).

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

It's a great documentary, but with a major caveat involving allegations around the main subject which has made it far less appealing for me to rewatch. (As pointed out earlier, he's contesting them and is apparently talking about legal action, so won't go into detail on here).

Yeah I enjoyed the documentary, but I would say it’s clear why he had to go. That production was doomed from the start, and having that as your first major production, with that cast, was impossible for someone of his stature.

• Paid Members

Having now read that Frankenheimer worked with Lumet, and that their styles are apparently compared, I think I might do a bit of a Frankenheimer odyssey like I did with Lumet. I've already seen a few more films of his than I had Lumet's when I started that, but it'll be good to re-watch some as well as catching the ones I haven't seen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...