Talking Pictures is the greatest TV channel in history.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Had a quick swatch of the TPTV schedule for this week. As mentioned in the Horror thread, a bit annoyed I missed Quatermass and the Pit. I see, however, on Saturday, there's a film called Child's Play (1972) directed by Sidney Lumet. I don't know this one, but the fact it's Lumet means I'm tempted to watch. @Devon Malcolm Do you know if it's any good?

It's one of the few Lumets I haven't seen so I'm recording it.

• Paid Members

Never really watched a film on there, but I love the archive footage they show. Plus, wasn't that the channel that was showing One Step Beyond a little while back? 

Just reading the OP. Who or what is D Mal? Term I've never heard before. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/28/2020 at 10:23 AM, Magnum Milano said:

They showed Hard Times (1975) with Charles Bronson last night.  I literally only found out a matter of minutes before it started otherwise I would've posted in this thread.  Ever since someone (I forget who) mentioned Talking Pictures aired 'The Driver' a few weeks back I've been trying to keep more of an eye on the schedule hoping that they'll repeat it.

I went on a Walter Hill trip a few months back and this, along with The Driver, were the two films that I couldn't source.  Charles Bronson plays a drifter called Chaney who ends up aligning himself with gambler/hustler Speed, played by James Coburn, who becomes his promoter in organizing bare knuckle street fights.  I won't say any more on the plot as to avoid spoilers but this was a fantastic film, while the two main leads were tremendous, as was Strother Martin and like a lot of Walter Hill films there is a quality soundtrack.  Absolutely worth watching next time it gets an airing.

Not seen that for ages. Late BBC mid afternoon replacement, one year.

At least 2 Street Fighter 2 stages are inspired by it https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2018/03/evidence-street-fighter-ii-2-ripped-off-70s-charles-bronson-movie

• Paid Members

It was a great channel a few years ago when I was pimping it then. TPTV seemed to have access to all those 70s softcore films with Robin Askwith. I wish they offered an online service. I'd happily subscribe.

"Restless Natives" is a great film. Big Country done the soundtrack.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

On 10/21/2021 at 7:34 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

God I love this channel. They're unearthing brilliant, unseen stuff like this even more frequently than ever. If you like Bill Forsyth's stuff then you'll definitely like this.

This film is absolutely outstanding. The final job is an amazing bit of work. Great soundtrack too. 

I've watched a couple of really good films from the 1950s on there the past few days, both clocking in at around the hour mark (hour twenty with ads) which suits me just fine.

First was called The Embezzler from 1954. A bank clerk is given only a couple of years to live due to a dodgy heart so decides to embezzle money from his employee and spend his final years away from his nagging and in the sun... although ends up in Eastbourne where he is soon recognized.

The other is called Small Hotel from 1957.  Gordon Harker plays a veteran waiter who has been working at the hotel for 40 years and in that time he has learned scams like how to maximise tips, persuade guests to choose more expensive dining options etc.  Top brass want to move him and his young female apprentice on though and replace him with an attractive younger waitress.  This one was a real joy and had several laugh out loud moments in it.  I know when watching films from this period it is highly unlikely many, if any, of the actors will still be alive, but I was gutted to find out Janet Munro passed away at the age of just 38.  She was Harker's character's apprentice, being shown the ropes, the tricks, and they made a great duo and she had wonderful comedic moments.

Oh, and I watched Mona Lisa on there when it premiered. Such an excellent film and Bob Hoskins and Cathy Tyson both turn in incredible performances.  Was gutted for George at the end.  Never knew that Cathy Tyson was previously married to Craig Charles, although did know that Kate Hardie is the daughter of Bill Oddie.  Also stars Zoe Nathenson who was someone, who after seeing her in Those Glory Glory Days looked to have the world at her feet but never really did anything after this.  

Edited by Magnum Milano
Added Mona Lisa

• Paid Members
On 10/21/2021 at 7:34 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

God I love this channel. They're unearthing brilliant, unseen stuff like this even more frequently than ever. If you like Bill Forsyth's stuff then you'll definitely like this.

Saw this at Withington Cine City when it came out.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The hits just keep coming as well.

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing, will get that recorded tonight. Love me some Newman and I haven't seen The Hustler in quite a while. 

• Paid Members

They also show the Look At Life series (basically ITV's version of Pathe news reels) and recently had one with a couple of minutes of a Tibor Szakacs match at the Royal Albert Hall that appears to be the earliest known colour footage of British wrestling.

Unfortunately ITV, who are very lax on World of Sport clips on YouTube, take Look At Life down almost instantly.