Talking Pictures is the greatest TV channel in history.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
On 10/23/2021 at 7:34 AM, bAzTNM#1 said:

I wish they offered an online service. I'd happily subscribe.

My worry is if they did that then they would start to lose focus of what has made them such a success so far - that perhaps they would start catering for a 'bigger' audience to cover those costs and move away from what has brought them such widespread support and admiration. I think a catch-up service would be a better middle ground, especially now they're showing a few more TV series. They tend to repeat their films quite sensibly anyway, so that's not such a concern.

A great knock-on effect is that Great! Movies (that used to be Movies4Men among other things) have started to follow suit with a lot of the kinds of films they show as well, and they've uncovered some little seen gems as well in the last year or so. Their schedules are always worth trawling through too.

• Paid Members

“A fond memory in early lockdown was speaking to Diana every couple of weeks about what films she’d been enjoying on Talking Pictures TV – a channel we both loved,” Wright says. “It’s still tough for me to talk about her without welling up.”

Edgar Wright and Diana Rigg, bonding over this fine channel in his interview with The Independent https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/edgar-wright-interview-last-night-in-soho-b1944720.html 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

For all you classic noir fans, here's an essential.

Funny I just came across that about thirty minutes ago when scouring through TCM, Great! And Talking Pictures. It sounded like my cup of tea, and delighted to see that it's highly recommend. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Couple of decent films that's on Talking Pics over the next couple of weeks that's never been shown elsewhere for ages

Blood and Wine (1996) on Sat 4th Dec   Always thought this was an underrated film with Jack Nicholson and Michael Caine.

Vampire Circus (1971) on Fri 10th Dec  This one was always one of my favourite Hammer Horror films.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Perry said:

Couple of decent films that's on Talking Pics over the next couple of weeks that's never been shown elsewhere for ages

Blood and Wine (1996) on Sat 4th Dec   Always thought this was an underrated film with Jack Nicholson and Michael Caine.

Vampire Circus (1971) on Fri 10th Dec  This one was always one of my favourite Hammer Horror films.

I recorded Vampire Circus off the telly back in August.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I’ve had a look through the next week of listings and I don’t recognise much (which doesn’t mean a lot tbh) however one thing did stick out -

Black Sunday 1977. It sticks out because it’s directed by John Frankenheimer who I’ve heard of, and the cast includes Robert Shaw and Bruce Dern. Has anyone seen it? Any good?

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Black Sunday 1977. It sticks out because it’s directed by John Frankenheimer who I’ve heard of, and the cast includes Robert Shaw and Bruce Dern. Has anyone seen it? Any good?

Absolutely. One of Frankenheimer's best which, considering his body of work, says a lot. 

• Paid Members

Didn't know anything about Frankenheimer, so looked him up, and OK - French Connection II, the original Manchurian CandidateBirdman of Alcatraz, and Ronin? Nice.

I also see he was the guy who made the 1996 Island of Dr. Moreau and Reindeer Games. Everyone has slip-ups.