The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Probably the quietest show for a while. I enjoyed all the moving parts for the PPV but I think it was missing the stand out match to get excited about after the Moxley news yesterday. Lots of solid build for Full Gear and Friday night's Rampage but nothing too memorable beyond today.

Tay Conti not been at ringside for Anna Jay's match annoyed me. WCW level selfish babyface stuff. 

Really like FTR with Andrade. The Pinnacle has always been shit so it'd be nice if this is the end of it. Spears as an MJF stooge is better use for him than pretending he's worthy of being in a top faction.

Good serious promo from Punk. Managed to walk the line between real life and story very well.

Lambert being the 5th guy was the most obvious thing ever but the right thing. PVZ stealing the show again though. What a star she is.

JR calling Miro a "Bulgarian Brute" and then shitting himself was hilarious. He'd done so well to avoid referencing "conchairto" too. Great to see The Elite get a kick-in again. Little ratbags. Cole going over John Silver on Friday will be a travesty though. Honestly, if they do that, I'm never watching AEW again until Wednesday. 

• Paid Members

I thought the handling of the Moxley situation was some of the classiest, most mature pro-wrestling TV of all time, but then I clocked this on Twitter, which left me completely deflated. 

On the surface this felt completely uncalled for. Poor lad’s first language isn’t even English! However, if you read the comments Brodie’s widow Amanda is siding with Jericho. Obviously, the last thing anyone ever wants to do is attack a widow, and I imagine everyone in that company is on edge with what’s happened with Moxley, but fucking hell. Whatever is going on just keep it in the DMs. An absolutely awful look.

• Paid Members

It’s not even as if Jericho’s nailing it onscreen, either. This stuff with Lambert works completely in spite of him. All the light homophobia and casual misogyny is the dirt worst. A complete time warp. The sooner the Inner Circle turn on Jericho and send him away to tour with his shit band the better. Rampage’s commentary will be improved tenfold too.

Let’s focus on the positives though. Miro is the best, that was Punk’s best promo in forever, and Adam Page casually letting Omega know he’s got ten days left was fucking incredible. Confident Hangman! Yes!

D1E25BDB-A55D-4C50-827E-8117F3B7907D.thumb.jpeg.6480832a5d566c3ef1a0e7f53e14db26.jpeg

8DE5FA64-A752-47DE-B909-E24225E3C171.jpeg.a57420c62acba003a4dc725612f6d7e5.jpeg

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Supremo said:

On the surface this felt completely uncalled for. Poor lad’s first language isn’t even English! However, if you read the comments Brodie’s widow Amanda is siding with Jericho. Obviously, the last thing anyone ever wants to do is attack a widow, and I imagine everyone in that company is on edge with what’s happened with Moxley, but fucking hell. Whatever is going on just keep it in the DMs. An absolutely awful look.

Jericho made sure everyone who hadn’t seen the initial tweet jumped on Kalisto but it was a really weird response from Amanda. I saw some people say Kalisto was clout chasing. Maybe he was. But he definitely didn’t mean any disrespect making that tweet and accidentally spelling his name wrong. Just happened to be a mistake. The way she defended Miro spelling his ring name as Brody after he passed away has not gone down well either. Like you said, keep it to the DMs. 

2 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Jericho made sure everyone who hadn’t seen the initial tweet jumped on Kalisto but it was a really weird response from Amanda. I saw some people say Kalisto was clout chasing. Maybe he was. But he definitely didn’t mean any disrespect making that tweet and accidentally spelling his name wrong. Just happened to be a mistake. The way she defended Miro spelling his ring name as Brody after he passed away has not gone down well either. Like you said, keep it to the DMs. 

It's just odd isn't it. Unless something specific has gone down between Kalisto and them previously, it does seem really harsh. It's not like every single person paying tribute to Brodie was close to him. I imagine the majority weren't! 

• Paid Members

How does Punk look 7 years younger now, than he did when he left WWE (rhetorical). Happy Punk with the greying beard and just having fun is the most I've ever enjoyed him. I'd be happy for him to just piss about doing what he wants until he finishes up, if I'm honest. He has nothing to prove so doesn't need to be top of the card.

• Paid Members

Has a promotion ever acknowledged someone going to rehab like they did on this show? Much like the Brodie Lee tribute show, this felt like a huge leap for this business. Actual adults dealing with a sensitive subject with class and maturity.

Now watch Jericho start bickering over Moxley on Twitter and ruin that, too.

Jericho donated thousands of dollars to Trump. His wife was also at the Capitol Building insurrection. He’s probably got it in for Mexicans. If that’s the case, he has a nerve seeing as he spent some of his early career in Mexico. I agree, keep it in the DMs.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's just odd isn't it. Unless something specific has gone down between Kalisto and them previously, it does seem really harsh. 

yeah, that was my first assumption, that there must be something underneath it all, not just a kneejerk response to one Tweet. If it were just Jericho, I'd assume he'd been on the sauce, but with Amanda Huber chiming in I assume there was something prior.

As for the "it's his second language" thing, not that it should really matter - misspelling "Jon" as "John" is hardly an uncommon mistake - but isn't Kalisto from Chicago?

Can we chat about something else now? Before this ends up being another page where we try and comprehend the breaking news that Chris Jericho is sometimes an extremely soft dickhead. 

BIG HANDSOME SCARY STUPID SEXY MIRO FOR A START. 

Edited by Chili

43 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

To be completely fair, it's really easy to overreact when emotion is involved. I've certainly been guilty of it in the past. 

Would I be pissed off if someone was to tweet that about one of my friends or relatives, particularly if they weren't close to them? I can't honestly say that I wouldn't be. It may well be irrational of me, but heck, it we're all irrational once in a while. 

It does seem like a well-intentioned tweet though, so I do feel a bit sorry for Kalisto. 

As far as the show goes, the reaction to Cody must have been a bit alarming to them. There were some boos, though less than usual. There were also muted cheers. But more than anything else, it felt like apathy. And once again it was very overbooked. You have multiple heels going after Cody, but why? What's in it for them? 

I wasn't mad about FTR's new entrance theme either. Even if The Pinnacle is no more, I'd be perfectly happy for them to keep that part of the team alive. 

Miro was phenomenal on this show, and I'd actually like to see him win the title on the back of this. He doesn't need to use the title shot right away, he can be a looming, menacing threat to Page, with Hangman knowing he will have that match one day, but not knowing when (for clarity, I'm not suggesting it be treated like a MITB cash-in) 

That way, they can build up the menace of Miro, and give Hangman a lengthier title reign than he might otherwise get. Hangman is great, but I think it's easy to make the case for Miro being the hottest male character in the company right now. 

The possibilities for Miro as Champion are phenomenal - Miro vs. Malaki Black. Miro vs. Punk. Miro vs. Jericho. Miro vs. Jungle Boy. Miro vs. Moxley, when he's ready to return. Heck, Miro vs. Sting intrigues me. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Awards Moderator

Really enjoyed the first few parts of the show. Hangman and Omega was excellent, and I cannot wait for that match. I’ll be living and dying with every move Page makes next Saturday. Black’s promo was good, so was Miro’s promo to God, and Punk handled the Moxley stuff and the segue into the storyline with Eddie really well.

Things started to lose their interest for me from probably the FTR match onwards. Kalisto was his same old 295 Live self, but I’d heard Aerostar was meant to be spectacular and he wasn’t really. Inner Circle vs ATT is just filling time for me, it’s the least interesting part of AEW right now. MJF and Darby felt a bit retready. Everything is building towards Full Gear though, which I ordered after Dynamite finished, so it did the job.