The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Given how shitty the build-up was, the Shaq match was a lot of fun. I wouldn't be adverse to seeing more of him in AEW, assuming they do better with the build next time. The match definitely benefited from not having Brandi in it. Red Velvet was solid, and Jade Cargill looked decent too. I'm slightly worried that the reason they've kept Britt away from the Women's World title is that they plan to rush Jade to that spot, but we'll see. 

I wonder if they'll live to regret (presumably) allowing Max Caster's Lady Gaga line. In a country plagued by gun violence, threatening to "light you up like Lady Gaga's dog walker" doesn't sit particularly comfortably anyway, but the potential of that to go viral for all the wrong reasons is definitely there. If Lady Gaga, for example, was to catch wind of it and hit out at them on Twitter, it's not a great look. Or helpful when it comes to working with other celebrities - if this did blow up, and news articles were to say "on a show also featuring NBA legend Shaq", he's not going to be particularly pleased. 

All in all it was a fun show, and I'm definitely intrigued by the tease of a hall of fame level signing. I'm slightly worried that it'll be someone like RVD, though. I have no desire whatsoever to see him wrestle for AEW. 

3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

All in all it was a fun show, and I'm definitely intrigued by the tease of a hall of fame level signing. I'm slightly worried that it'll be someone like RVD, though. I have no desire whatsoever to see him wrestle for AEW. 

That was my initial worry but probably because I'm so used to the way TNA hype their signings..

I thought the Cody/Red Velvet vs Shaq/Cargill match was way better than it had any right to be, I really enjoyed it. Cargill has got something although she's still fairly green. But the cocky posing during the figure four, giving Cody the finger and having a genuinely hateable face makes me already want to see her get beat. Please not a Brandi match though. Also fair play to Shaq for taking that table bump.

For a match that I imagine was mapped out and rehearsed to the nth degree, not only for Shaq but for Jade as well, that wasn’t too bad. For a match that’s had nearly 4 months of build, I’m still not totally sure why it was happening, but I enjoyed it. For a first match, Jade handled herself fine. Obviously green as grass, but put her in there with the right person to lead her through it, she could be alright.

Matt Jackson has got this uncanny ability to be able to get me to root for absolutely anybody in the hope that they smack him in the face.

Enjoyed the 6 Man tag, and the mystery of the masked man had me hoping for some kind of debut. Then it was Shawn Spears, a man so forgettable I completely forgot that he’s been linked to a guy in the match for the better part of a year.

Ig How (credit @Kaz Hayashi) showed a natural charisma in his interview with Schiavone that we haven’t seen in years. Then he got the PPV’s name wrong, it was all going so well. Seriously though, great to see him and I’m definitely going to check out Elevation to see how he does. 
“Hall of Fame worthy signing” coming at the PPV. Hmmmm, they didn’t say which HoF did they, and seen as he disappeared from the ambulance, quite an achievement for a 7’1” 365lb man to sneak...well, anywhere really, surely it’s to set up Shaq v Wight

Skipped the Women’s Tournament Final as the result was a foregone conclusion, there was no way they were going have Nyla/Shida on PPV for a third time in less than a year.

Overall a really enjoyable show though

Edited by WyattSheepMask

The new signing is probably Christian, right?

I know there was speculation he’d signed a part time deal with the WWE after the Rumble, but then he’s not been used and has spoken about potential never wrestling again. Then, on the AEW side, you had Moxley and Jericho say recently that he’d be the perfect addition to the roster.

He also looks in the best shape he’s ever been in. I could see him being added to the ladder match or something.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLu6NefF60C/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

@WyattSheepMask Suggestion of Shaq makes sense too, but have a feeling people will be pissed off.

I thought the show was tremendous last night. The first hour in particular was blistering.

Shaq is my new favourite wrestler.

Surprised they didn’t feature Kenny or Mox at all, though the video package was superb.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

7 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

“Hall of Fame worthy signing” coming at the PPV. Hmmmm, they didn’t say which HoF did they, and seen as he disappeared from the ambulance, quite an achievement for a 7’1” 365lb man to sneak...well, anywhere really, surely it’s to set up Shaq v Wight

Shaq crossed my mind too, and while I wouldn't be against it, it seems a little too strange a set-up. Teasing signing someone who has already wrestled in a match that was inexplicably bumped from the PPV would be a bit weird.

There is a gap in the ladder match, so I suppose it could be someone who could fill that position, which again gives me the fear that it's RVD. Given Tony Khan's love of ECW, I'm sure he'd consider signing Van Dam a massive deal. 

9 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The new signing is probably Christian, right?

Hmmm, again, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. He's obviously very talented, but it's hard to get excited about Christian. 

One thing I failed to mention in my original post was Scorpio Sky - what the hell was his deal on commentary? Is he supposed to be a heel now? He absolutely buried Caster and 10, and came across as an arrogant dick, which seemed a little bit of an odd approach to take. 

I’m not saying that announcing Shaq as the signing would be the best option, but that’s my guess based on Wight making the announcement and because Shaq just seemed to vanish into thin air.

Made the mistake of going on Twitter. Some of the names being speculated on for this new signing, fucking hell.

CM Punk has got a few mentions because he always does, then it just becomes “name a person” like something ITV would do on one of those late night phone ins a few years back.

“Is it Batista?” 
“oooh, nearly but no”

”is it Zelinga Vega?” 
“a good guess Betty, but hard luck”

”Robert Roode?” 
“well he’s one of the Smackdown tag team champs at the moment, and I don’t think that’ll change in the next 4 days”

”is it John Cena?” 
“You’re not even trying now”

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I hope they've signed Sid. 

Really enjoyed the show, the Shaq match was excellent. I find it impossible not to love Shaq. 

My favourite Shaq story is that he fills his car up when the tank is half empty because he thinks it means he's spending less on petrol. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

That was a breeze. That first hour felt so tightly put together. We had 2 matches in the same time that Raw finishes it's opening promo (and was nice to have a good old fashion squash on there). the Shaq match was far more enjoyable then had any right to be. Just fun. But there wasn't a bad match, and thought it did a great job at pushing the PPV. Great episode.

2 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I’m not saying that announcing Shaq as the signing would be the best option, but that’s my guess based on Wight making the announcement and because Shaq just seemed to vanish into thin air.

Made the mistake of going on Twitter. Some of the names being speculated on for this new signing, fucking hell.

CM Punk has got a few mentions because he always does, then it just becomes “name a person” like something ITV would do on one of those late night phone ins a few years back.

It's more the fact that they've bothered to hype it. If it was an angle run on the PPV or on next week's Dynamite, it would definitely be buzzworthy (Shaq signing a multi-match deal). The fact they hyped it makes me think it's someone else, although I'd imagine Shaq will be back. 

Given how odd the Shaq booking has been, I wonder if, in part it's because he (or his people) likes to have a huge say in how he's booked (also explaining why celeb-hungry WWE never did Shaq/Big Show) - I could definitely see a situation arising where AEW wanted to sell the effects of the bump, but then at the last minute, either Shaq or his representatives decided they couldn't have people thinking the injury was real, so they wanted to do something to show that he was actually fine. And that was it. 

• Paid Members

Still watching the rest of the show, but I was really underwhelmed by the opener; perhaps it was because I was expecting a little more from Cargill. She looked really good in building herself up week-by-week but sold too little for Velvet who I thought was great. The camera missing her big move after the table spot pissed me off legit, and following that match with an actual squash showed why we needed to see Cargill flattening someone before working against an actual face. That it somehow went the best part of 20 minutes from bell-to-ambulance is also notable. Plus we had a freebie for Maffew with the unconscious Shaq tucking his own legs in for the ambulance door, took a little bit away from the "Oh, he's OK" thing.

Am I overly harsh?

Edited by seph

1 minute ago, seph said:

Still watching the rest of the show, but I was really underwhelmed by the opener; perhaps it was because I was expecting a little more from Cargill. She looked really good in building herself up week-by-week but sold too little for Velvet who I thought was great. The camera missing her big move after the table spot pissed me off legit, and following that match with an actual squash showed why we needed to see Cargill flattening someone before working against an actual face. Plus we had a freebie for Maffew with the unconscious Shaq tucking his own legs in for the ambulance door.

Am I overly harsh?

I mean, I think you might be. You've inferred yourself that Shaq was still unconscious when he went in the ambulance, that wasn't said explicitly. 

I thought Cargill probably sold a bit too much for Velvet but as they were carrying the brunt of the wrestling, I understand.

Shaq was tremendous.

It was a very fun match, the only thing that i'd score against it really was the camera missing the spear. That was a bit frustrating, sure.