UKFF Top 50 Games: 10th Anniversary Edition RESULTS

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

It's time for the UKFF Top 50 Games: 10th Anniversary Edition Results!

* There were 46 respondents
* 252 separate games were nominated
* The oldest game dates back to 1984
* 36 unique games were awarded top place

I've listed each game's position in the previous two polls, and found a handy resource of dreadful Google reviews so I've included those where available.

So without further ado, here's the UKFF's 50 best games! 

50. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: 33. Metacritic: 91%

metal-gear-solid-3-end.png

Google reviews say: "if this game wasn't enough for you there are still other Metal Gear games that continue the story of Naked Snake and his son Solid Snake (Who is well known for entering the Super Smash Bros. series dating back to 2006)." 

UKFF says: "The pinnacle of the MGS series. The end boss battle vs The Boss is a work of absolute gaming joy." @Grecian

Onyx2 says: totally agree with Grecian. The perfect blend of stealth, story and violence. The boss battles are as ingenious as ever, and packed with a variety of methods to beat. 

49. The Warriors
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: NR. Metacritic: 84%

4008c1203ec009a75d5334e840fc517d.jpg

Google reviews say: "The game shows enough leather jackets and denim vests like its a secret Village People: The Video Game" 

UKFF says: "A forgotten PS2 gem. One of the most satisfying fighting games of all time and the two player campaign mode was glorious in the days before online gaming." @Gus Mears

Onyx2 says: the last great scrolly beat em up. Captured the feel of the films perfectly. 

48. WWF SmackDown 2: Know Your Role
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: NR. Metacritic: 90%

1038922-wwf_smackdown.jpg

Google reviews say:" Good news, 90s kids. The Rock is still as cool as you remember him, and, provided pre-teens continue to lack discriminating taste when it comes to film making quality, always will be." 

UKFF says: "Smackdown! was good, but Smackdown! 2 was even better. More wrestlers, more match types, more moves, more locations, more, more, more.

The story mode was great, especially the first time an Unknown Wrestler was seen walking backstage.

The improvement in the CAW system made a massive difference, because it went from creating your own character, to creating yourself

There may have been ""improvements"" to the games that followed, but they were never as enjoyable as going to the kitchens of WWF New York and having a melon fight." @Nostalgia Nonce

Onyx2 says: yup, probably the best WWF THQ game. Why they can't resurrect this story mode I don't know.

47. Spider-Man
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: NR. Metacritic: 87%

1536085271-spider-man-ps4-game-playstati

Google reviews say: 'I felt it was really true to the character of Spider-Man/Peter Parker in a unique way" 

UKFF says: "A recent one! The first game for years I’ve sat down and played from start to finish. Nothing this generation has beat swinging across Manhattan as Spider-Man." @HarmonicGenerator

Onyx2 says: not played it. On the wishlist. 

46. Uncharted 4
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: NR. Metacritic: 93%

screen-shot-2016-02-24-at-11-23-40-am.pn

Google reviews say: "The main idea behind these kinds of games, I'm guessing, is to make it feel like you're watching a very good Hollywood adventure film, but additionally allowing the viewer to fully participate in the story" 

UKFF says: "Perfect ending to one of my favourite series. Benefited massively from not having the usual supernatural twist." @Supremo

Onyx2 says: love the first three (well, 2 and 3). Haven't got round to this one. 

45. Double Dragon
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: NR. Metacritic: NR 

arc2.png?w=1100

Google reviews say:The classic River City Ransom is arguably the best and most robust beat-'em-up to ever grace the NES. And while Double Dragon, the bar-setting game that came before it, may not be as good, it did define a lot of what the true brawler experience is all about. 

UKFF says: "Used to play this with my dad for the NES. We both loved it. Happy memories of making the noise that happened when you opened a door. ""ERRRRRUUURRRR""  @Max Power

Onyx2 says: one of the defining cultural artifacts of my youth. I look back now and see the coin grab mechanics but the pounding music and crunchy sound effects are burned into my brain. 

44. Mass Effect 2
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: 47. Metacritic: 94%

474-2.png

Google reviews say: Cerberus wants you to assemble a formidable team to assist and provides you with two human officers of its own. First, there is the sexy Miranda. Then, there is Jacob, who seems initially reticent but allows his emotional fire to burn more brightly as the journey progresses. 

UKFF says: Mass effect 2 took the best bits of the first game and improved them, while removing the bad bits. That's what a good sequel should do, and it did it with an actually gripping plot. @Duke

Onyx2 says: I only played this for the first time a couple of years ago and it's aged really well. Beautiful visuals, excellent story and plenty to do. 

43. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Position in 2009: 27; Position in 2013: 38. Metacritic: 93%

mv5bmmvmm2y5mjktoddjys00nwy3lthmmgytzgfm

Google reviews say: Any true Star Wars fan or fan of video games in general needs to get over the aged gameplay elements. 

UKFF says: Best Star Wars game ever made, better writing than the prequels and sequels, and started my affection for action RPGs. KOTOR 2 was pretty damn good too. @Snugglecakes

Onyx2 says: I should love it, but I came to it too late. It was just too plodding by the time I played it 

42. Target: Renegade
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: NR. Metacritic: NR

target-renegade-precinct.png?w=880

Google reviews say: The cover is a reworked picture of martial arts legend Joe Lewis doing a flying kick. 

UKFF says: "Side-scrolling beat em up with a pounding soundtrack that inspired me to plug the Speccy into my brother's guitar amp to get the full experience.  Flying kicking bikers off their hogs, and finding a boot to the nuts doesn't work on the muscly lesbians - key childhood gaming experiences." @Loki

Onyx2 says: amusingly this wasn't placing until Loki started discussing it (prompted by me). Deliberate vote rigging! It was flipping great though. 

41. Championship Manager 01/02
Position in 2009: 17; Position in 2013: NR. Metacritic: NR

Champ-Man-Ronaldo.jpg

Google reviews say: Another features in this game is the ability to compare players which is not available in the previous CM version. Another new features is the new transfer regulation in the game. 

UKFF says: Twenty Years on and Tanpani and the updates from the Champ Manager 2001/2 message board team, mean this is as relevant now, as it was then. It's an old friend, taking me through depression, transition, ups downs, highs and lows. Manage your club, see where you can get too. Superb. @patiirc

Onyx2 says: not my bag baby. 

40. Crusader Kings 2
Position in 2009: NR; Position in 2013: NR. Metacritic: 82%

crusader-kings-ii-pc-get-cheap-cd-key_2_
Google reviews say:" I once had a guy tell me: "all i could do was change my hair style, so I stopped playing it" . .  -__-

UKFF says: "A great in depth strategy title that definitely isn't for everyone but one I have played for thousands of hours. There's just something about the ridiculous scenarios that can play out that make each game stand out in their own ways. Awkward talking about in public though. ""So I finally managed to seduce my attractive, genius sister and get her pregnant. Next thing I know I catch the baby trying to murder her siblings. Going to need to find a way of killing the little bastard"". Worth it just for the bizarre stories that unfold." @King Mal the Glorious

Onyx2 says: passed me by. 

• Paid Members

Warriors! That was a great game, when Rockstar were knocking out brilliant games one after the other (Manhunt, Bully). Unfortunately the laser on my PS2 was fucked so it scratched the disc to death before I could even get halfway through it, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Excellent concept. Can anyone recommend a modern game similar to it?

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Warriors! That was a great game, when Rockstar were knocking out brilliant games one after the other (Manhunt, Bully). Unfortunately the laser on my PS2 was fucked so it scratched the disc to death before I could even get halfway through it, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Excellent concept. Can anyone recommend a modern game similar to it?

There's a remake of it available on PS4. It's often on sale.

https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP1004-CUSA03548_00-SLES534430000001

• Paid Members

I loved that it was a multiplayer season mode in Smackdown 2. If they'd been able to have a mode like that with a more up to date version of the game like a mid 2000s Smackdown Vs Raw it could have been incredible. 

• Paid Members

Bloody Warriors, of course. Splendid title and yeah, I could see it breaking in to my top 30.

Smack Down 2 makes my top 20. It’s probably obvious that I’m a bit keen on wrestling games, but only 1 made my top 10.

Thanks again for your graft with all of this Onyx 👍

Warriors and Bully are two of Rockstar's best games.  Sadly, they don't seem interested in those sort of pet projects any more.

• Paid Members

Warriors was fantastic. I had it on PS2 and recently acquired it for the Xbox. It's a hidden gem of a game, if ridiculously frustrating at points (trying to graffiti those buildings whilst fending off enemies was always a slog) but you always forgave those shortcomings.

I didn't vote for any wrestling titles, despite them taking up a massive part of my video game time back in the day, because I knew that they'd get the proper shout-out on here anyway. 

It's so great to see Smackdown 2 make the list; is so bloody brilliant, and a huge improvement on it's predecessor and it's way better than the sequel. On any given day, it takes either the number 2 or number 3 spot on my Top Wrestling Games list. The Create-A-PPV mode, which rated all your matches and the overall event, is what took up the bulk of my time. Incredibly addictive, six-weeks holidays reducing stuff.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Warriors and Bully are two of Rockstar's best games.  Sadly, they don't seem interested in those sort of pet projects any more.

Yeah, they're too invested in the money to be made from their online ventures- which I completely understand, but it's a shame. Bully was bloody ace, I will play it through again someday. To be honest, I'm just a sucker for GTA in different environments (see also Red Dead). I also really enjoyed the first Manhunt (second one was garbage), LA Noire was decent if repetitive and Table Tennis was surprisingly loads of fun. I take it they gave up on the spy game they were apparently developing?