Sign in to follow this  
Onyx2

UKFF Top 50 Games: 10th Anniversary Edition RESULTS

On 7/11/2019 at 3:25 PM, Snugglecakes said:

I was tempted to vote for Speedball 2. I'm playing it on a Megadrive emulator at the moment, and it's just as fun as I remember it was.

Always really loved the name Brutal Deluxe. Inevitably, there's a metal band that use it. Should be a wrestling tag team with it though. 

On 7/8/2019 at 10:06 AM, Onyx2 said:

CM was just outside the 50, and suffered from being a long-running popular series. 

You were the sole voter for Freespace. Descent was a series out of time. If it had been released three years different either way it could've been huge. The multiplayer was too weak in the original to catch fire in a post-Quake time. And the marketing made it sound like Elite when it really wasn't. File under hidden gem. 

I very nearly voted for Forsaken, which was the spiritual successor to Descent that was released on PSOne.

The single player wasn't up to much, but the split screen multiplayer was absolutely sublime - one of the best balanced multiplayer experiences I've ever had.  Really cool 3 dimensional arenas, great weapons, great strategy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forsaken_(video_game)

Thanks again dude for the effort in this thread even though clearly I'm disgusted by the results ¬†ūüėõ¬† Actually, seeing MGS in there was cool as I completely forgot to vote for that.

It'd be interesting to rework the results and take out any games that are part of a series... what one-off releases did the best?

I’ve never heard of Forsaken but have just read there’s a remastered version on Xbox One, so I’ll take a look.

On a slightly related note, I’ve just got into PS hacking and will be doing a write up in the retro gaming thread shortly.

3 hours ago, Loki said:

It'd be interesting to rework the results and take out any games that are part of a series... what one-off releases did the best?

So I had a look at this. The big problem in games is that true one-offs are extremely rare. You've already built all the assets, just respin them, polish them up and you have a sequel. Or purchase the rights for a dollar and whack out another title. 

So I present this list of top 10 here only (quickly dissolves into single-vote titles), with some flaws but just as a curio. Even then you might say "well, GoldenEye is connected to Perfect Dark" or whatever. And World of Warcraft is like a never-ending series... it's really difficult to be cut and dried. It's also clear one-off games are not the business model any more. The most recent game was Heavy Rain which was just outside the top 10.

GoldenEye
The Warriors
Overwatch
Okami
Company of Heroes
Bubble Bobble
World of Warcraft
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade) 
Super International Cricket
Kid Chameleon 

8 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

So I had a look at this. The big problem in games is that true one-offs are extremely rare. You've already built all the assets, just respin them, polish them up and you have a sequel. Or purchase the rights for a dollar and whack out another title. 

So I present this list of top 10 here only (quickly dissolves into single-vote titles), with some flaws but just as a curio. Even then you might say "well, GoldenEye is connected to Perfect Dark" or whatever. And World of Warcraft is like a never-ending series... it's really difficult to be cut and dried. It's also clear one-off games are not the business model any more. The most recent game was Heavy Rain which was just outside the top 10.

GoldenEye
The Warriors
Overwatch
Okami
Company of Heroes
Bubble Bobble
World of Warcraft
Kid Chameleon 

Some really hidden gems there. Super International Cricket is my go-to cricket game. 

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

GoldenEye
The Warriors
Overwatch
Okami
Company of Heroes
Bubble Bobble
World of Warcraft
Kid Chameleon 

As this is going to be part of the mini Mega Drive, I can’t help but think its popularity will rise. A truly class game I hope you all get to play.

I had Kid Chameleon on the mini Mega Drive I had 5 or so years ago.

Didn't Bubble Bobble have a sequel as well?

7 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I had Kid Chameleon on the mini Mega Drive I had 5 or so years ago.

Didn't Bubble Bobble have a sequel as well?

Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars sort of were, as well as Bubble Bobble 2, Bubble Symphony and Bubble Memories.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Rainbow Islands and Parasol Stars sort of were, as well as Bubble Bobble 2, Bubble Symphony and Bubble Memories.

I remembered Rainbow Island and Parasol Stars but Bubble Bobble 2 had passed me by. 

The bust a move games were also spin offs of Bubble Bobble as well. Rainbow Islands would have got a vote from me if it was a top 20. Toki and New Zealand Story as well. 

3 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

As this is going to be part of the mini Mega Drive, I can’t help but think its popularity will rise. A truly class game I hope you all get to play.

Kid Chameleon has been included on loads of the Mega Drive compilations across different platforms and on those shitty AT Games handhelds for years now. I reckon almost anyone with an interest in retro gaming has probably had a go on it by now. Agree that its a class platformer though.

10 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I remembered Rainbow Island and Parasol Stars but Bubble Bobble 2 had passed me by. 

The games I listed were arcade only, as far as I'm aware, and Symphony and Memories might have been Japan only.

22 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Kid Chameleon has been included on loads of the Mega Drive compilations across different platforms and on those shitty AT Games handhelds for years now. I reckon almost anyone with an interest in retro gaming has probably had a go on it by now. Agree that its a class platformer though.

The difference is the hype. No one really gave a shit about the previous variants you speak of. The retro mini bollocks is huge and the hype around this Mega Drive is different level. Far more mainstream and far more desired. It’ll sell a shit load compared to the crap prior.

37. Batman Arkham Asylum

Ten years! Feels like half an hour.