UKFF Top 50 Games: 10th Anniversary Edition RESULTS

Onyx2

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Within the community, yes. Launch was a disaster but a lot of goodwill has been clawed back. 

My guess is, the next game will review gangbusters and it will all be forgotten. 

2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Yeah, seems to be that games as a service launch about a year too early. Far better to let them fix it and buy it at a big discount if it's still alive.

Or just do it right first time from the very start? That's a better way of doing things.

I don't know about that kind of positivity, guys. Although it's very optimistic and 'glass half full', I think the majority of people (myself included) have seen this as a disaster. Bethesda's reputation has been trashed, if not shattered. 

I'm a huge fan of the Fallout franchise, as is my partner and she also has them at equal billing with the Elder Scrolls games. Bethesda merch and custom artwork adorns our house. But I think we're kinda done after FO76. All the critiques offered during the launch were warranted, and the way Bethesda handled themselves in the year afterwards was terrible.

Nine months after release, it's no where near okay to say "Well, it's getting good now...". There's no defense for it, and the more people accept their 'apologies' and look past their arrogant front, the more shit like this will be accepted. Just like micro-transactions, massive day-one patches and main game content hidden as DLC, if fans don't protest with their wallets it too will become standard practice.

Bethesda has alway produced broken games, with graphics below par compared to peers at the time. The games however are massive and so content rich that everything is forgiven. Compare how Fallout or Skyrim bugs were treated by the community compared to Assassins Creed Unity or Mass Effect Andromeda. 

It was no wonder that a shitty looking broken Bethesda game would be seen as exactly that without the depth of content or lore to offset it. 

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Nine months after release, it's no where near okay to say "Well, it's getting good now...". There's no defense for it, and the more people accept their 'apologies' and look past their arrogant front, the more shit like this will be accepted. Just like micro-transactions, massive day-one patches and main game content hidden as DLC, if fans don't protest with their wallets it too will become standard practice.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's awful and they've done a bad job. I've just seen it time and again in the games market, one more release from a beloved developer and all the negativity washes away. It ain't 'glass half full', it's history.

Edited by Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

10. Super Mario 64
Position in 2009: 13; Position in 2013: 21 Metacritic: NR

Screen_Shot_2019_03_04_at_4.34.21_PM.0.p

Google reviews say: Its overrated as hell. And this is coming from a huge Mario fan. The jumping physics are garbage and totally stiff. The worlds are colorful, but not fun to explore. The level design is fine, but Mario Galaxy puts it to shame

UKFF says:Better then the SNES and NES versions? I’d argue yes @Hannibal Scorch

Do I need to elaborate? It’s Super Mario sixty-fucking-four. @RedRooster

It’s one of the few games I’ll go back and play through again every few years and enjoy it every time. As good today as it ever was. I’ll do the same with super Mario world but never get the same fun I do as from Mario 64, with its fun feel, mixed and colorful levels and perfect learning curve. @Tommy!

Absorbing, challenging, entertaining, another one that I’ve played through again fully years later. It’s weird to think about how much that gen of consoles was such a departure of what had come before, it was such a big leap, I don’t think it happens the same way now. Mario 64 blew my mind at the time, such a rich and varied world. I didn’t finish the game with all 120 stars until about 2010. @hallicks

I was 14  when this and the N64 were released. After playing an imported copy in a local shop, I saved up all my money from paper rounds, birthday and Christmas and got them both opening day. Ended up getting 70 stars in 6 days playing it non stop except going school. I've played it numerous times since and I still love it just as much.  @Twatters

Onyx2 says: not better than SNES, Pretty great though and it's use of camera in 3D games still embarrasses games released today. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Don't get me wrong - I think it's awful and they've done a bad job. I've just seen it time and again in the games market, one more release from a beloved developer and all the negativity washes away. It ain't 'glass half full', it's history.

It's a damn shame. I hope they learn from their mistakes, I really do. Bethesda have been part of my regular gaming schedule for well over a decade at this point, I just don't have much faith in them after FO76 and their subsequent reactions.

• Paid Members

Never liked Mario 64, and that's probably because I never played it when it was first out. I played the DS port, AFTER I had played Galaxy, so it felt shit in comparison. The old side scrolling platformers I can happily play today (except Super Mario Bros- 1), but can't get on with Mario 64. Odyssey and Super Mario 3D Land also much better (I haven't played 3D World, hoping they port it for the Switch at some point).

2 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Super Mario 64 is nowhere near as good as SNES versions, especially 3.

3 was NES. But you're right.

• Paid Members
Just now, PunkStep said:

Never liked Mario 64, and that's probably because I never played it when it was first out. I played the DS port, AFTER I had played Galaxy, so it felt shit in comparison. The old side scrolling platformers I can happily play today (except Super Mario Bros- 1), but can't get on with Mario 64. Odyssey and Super Mario 3D Land also much better (I haven't played 3D World, hoping they port it for the Switch at some point).

3 was NES. But you're right.

All stars 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Pfffft, you youngsters and your fancy graphics.

Ahh see, while yup, fully agree with both yourself and Punky that’s obviously a NES game, the All Stars version played differently. The upscale and control pad for starters. So I’m with Accident Prone on this, SNES version is a better game. 

It’s an interesting point though. I mean, ports play a massive factor  in people’s preferences. So while Sonic 2 on the Mega Drive was class, the same game on mobile was terrible. 

Either way, we all agree, the Mario 3 was better than Mario 64.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

Nah, your REAL youngsters would prefer the GBA version (brilliantly known as Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros.3);

How annoying was that? This is the list of GBA Super Mario Advance games:

Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros 2

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World

Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3

Which kind of sick fuck decided on that order?!?!