Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Just seen an ad for this on Facebook. The thought of any of this, particularly "Basil and Sybil saying their goodbyes", makes my skin crawl.

fawlty.png

Edited by cobra_gordo
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I'm still getting adverts for that after posting it in this thread a year ago. Look forward to getting the 'Allo 'Allo one non-stop soon starring the bloke playing Manuel.

Edited by Gus Mears
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

IMG_1758.thumb.jpeg.3e5f38fd2119d737dbe808167604824a.jpeg
When it was your birthday, you’d be invited to the front of morning assembly to show off a few of your presents, which feels quite unfair now given we had a few poorer kids in my year that could never compete with my motorised BigFoot truck. You’d also get to choose a hymn for everyone to sing, the only pick ever being “The animals went in two-by-two (hurrah, hurrah)” and everyone knew, even at just 5 years old, that it was shit.

Edited by Scratch
Posted
2 hours ago, Scratch said:

When it was your birthday, you’d be invited to the front of morning assembly to show off a few of your presents, which feels quite unfair now given we had a few poorer kids in my year that could never compete with my motorised BigFoot truck.

Wait!! What?

This is something I've never heard of happening before, you had to actually bring your brand new birthday presents into school to show off to the whole school??

That sounds absolutely mental and a sure fire way to get it instantly broken or stolen.

I remember at primary school every week during the Friday assembly, everyone who had a birthday in that week had to go up to the front and this plastic cake would routinely be brought out and candles lit and any number from 1-10 kids all gathered round to blow them out.

But actually bringing in physical presents just seems a receipe for disaster and as you say ridicule for what you got or didn't end up getting.

Posted
43 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

Wait!! What?

This is something I've never heard of happening before, you had to actually bring your brand new birthday presents into school to show off to the whole school??

That sounds absolutely mental and a sure fire way to get it instantly broken or stolen.

I remember at primary school every week during the Friday assembly, everyone who had a birthday in that week had to go up to the front and this plastic cake would routinely be brought out and candles lit and any number from 1-10 kids all gathered round to blow them out.

But actually bringing in physical presents just seems a receipe for disaster and as you say ridicule for what you got or didn't end up getting.

We did this at my primary school too. I remember taking in my Biker Mice From Mars figures I had got for my birthday to show off.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 1/10/2025 at 9:20 AM, MVP RULZ said:

Wait!! What?

This is something I've never heard of happening before, you had to actually bring your brand new birthday presents into school to show off to the whole school??

That sounds absolutely mental and a sure fire way to get it instantly broken or stolen.

I remember at primary school every week during the Friday assembly, everyone who had a birthday in that week had to go up to the front and this plastic cake would routinely be brought out and candles lit and any number from 1-10 kids all gathered round to blow them out.

But actually bringing in physical presents just seems a receipe for disaster and as you say ridicule for what you got or didn't end up getting.

It was definitely a thing. The same year I proudly presented my Big Foot, I also bothered to take this in.

IMG_1771.thumb.jpeg.4ccab82deb74e3ee8cf613715709269c.jpeg

Posted

Yehh you would have been mugged at my primary school if you took anything remotely valuable.  You had to be careful if you told anyone you had swaps of any shiny stickers in your pocket.

Posted

We didn't have that birthday deal at my school, but for a little while you were able to bring toys in on a Friday to play with at break until people started losing bits off them and the school didn't want the trouble. I took the MASK vehicle Goliath in one day (race car with a car carrier) and my Game Boy with Super Mario Land another. Managed to speed run through it at breaks and lunch.

Posted
1 hour ago, TibBo said:

 You had to be careful if you told anyone you had swaps of any shiny stickers in your pocket.

I saw many kids get their hands slapped while someone shouted "SCRAMBLES" as the stickers flew over the playground. It wasn't even a straight up theft here, just a free for all reappropriation of shinies and Giggs.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Last day of term in primary school where I lived you were allowed to take some toys in. It was called "play day" round my neck of the woods. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

IMG_1810.png.e3a0cda71b21690bda1c1e9a6642cfea.png

I could have also post in the TIL thread, as I had no idea Jim Davidson had ever been recognised in the honours lists, let alone as an OBE.

One of our best friends worked on The Generation Game during Jim’s time and has recounted some truly rotten first-hand tales. I guess it doesn’t matter if you’re after some “grown-up comedy”.

Edited by Scratch

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...