Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
18 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Yeah that's what I was kind of getting at, these guys weren't really offensive or at least we're able to tone it down. Guys who were on celebrity squares (God I'm old) and pretty much family entertainment. Mind you Jim Davidson did Big Break and the Generation Game for years, so who knows? 

Oh Jim was happy doing the public stuff when anyone wanted him. Same for most comedians. They tend to lean on the woke shit once they've been ditched from the limelight and not working properly anymore.

Posted
1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

I've seen Prat Pack adverts on facebook. The replies, dear God. "Good old proper comedians", "this will upset the woke crowd", "I bet the venue cancels them". But it's actually a singing show. I don't actually mind Walsh as a tv show host but I don't want to see him sing, the other three I just don't really want to see. Surprised hey haven't released an album to buy for your aunt that you haven't seen in 20 years. 

The real fact of the matter is they're just old comedians and many many comedians struggle to stay relevant due to comedy often being about reflections of society and modern ideals.  

The reality here is a product that doesn't sell very well having a "buy 1, get 3 free" sale (or thereabouts). The only way they can try and make money is to combine their fanbases.  Doesn't even sound like they want to do comedy anymore, they just want to sing a song and be adored on stage.

Said minority of fans can whine about wokey wokey whatever ruining comedy but it's just them trying not to deal with the fact they've aged out of the key demographic and modern culture doesn't appeal; either because they're too static in their tastes or just that what it does fundementally can't click with them.   At least in the modern internet era the grandads get to echo each others thoughts and have a community rather than just getting told to shut up and be irrelevant.  We shouldn't much worry about what they say, let them have their middling comedy and little delusion about what they liked was better than what everyone else likes.

Posted
1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

I had vague memories of Conley blackfacing back in the day but can't find anything to corroborate it. 

He played Al Jolson in the musical, so more than enough out there, although a quick Google search doesn't present much these days, which seems purposeful.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

Surprised hey haven't released an album to buy for your aunt that you haven't seen in 20 years. 

I reckon that’s what this tour is for, testing the water to see if it’s worth doing. If the tour is successful, however you measure that, then they’ll have an album out next Christmas. Michael Ball & Alfie Boe will be furious at the prospect of competition 

Edited by WyattSheepMask
Posted
6 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Bradley Walsh had the biggest selling debut album by a British artist in 2016. 
It was either a slow year for music or old people’s homes were giving them away as free gifts for new residents. 

I saw him do a show once, when I worked as an usher at a theatre, and to be fair he's actually a good all round entertainer with a decent singing voice. I do get that it can get too much for some, but in short bursts he's quite good 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, King Coconut said:

I had vague memories of Conley blackfacing back in the day but can't find anything to corroborate it. 

 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/aug/27/race.world

Quote

When the West End show Jolson, based on my biography of the singer, opened nearly four years ago, there were all the anticipated protests. But, despite it all, Brian Conley, who played Al, did black up - because to do otherwise would have been to deny history.

 

7 hours ago, davertfnewman said:

He played Al Jolson in the musical, so more than enough out there, although a quick Google search doesn't present much these days, which seems purposeful.

I doubt they included those stills in the press pack :D

Edited by johnnyboy
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

It's annoying because Jack's a very good comedy actor at times, but you know anything stand-up related will be the worst thing imaginable.

I've heard from plenty of comics that he was actually pretty highly rated as a stand up back when he was doing the circuit. But as soon as he got famous he just stop trying completely and got other people to write most of his sets for him.

Posted
2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

I've heard from plenty of comics that he was actually pretty highly rated as a stand up back when he was doing the circuit. But as soon as he got famous he just stop trying completely and got other people to write most of his sets for him.

This is true, I can also not confirm or deny I saw him doing coke off a closed toilet lid at the Edinburgh Festival one year. He was good starting out but he's still a nepo baby who had a more cushioned rise up the ranks. See Grace Campbell daughter of Alistair as a modern day example.

  • Members
Posted
8 minutes ago, Chili said:

This is true, I can also not confirm or deny I saw him doing coke off a closed toilet lid at the Edinburgh Festival one year.

Is this really necessary?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...