Ashley Massaro Dead at 39

Retro Red

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

That's a bit much isn't it? The number reported for sexual assaults is around 3.1% for women. Let's assume that 80% of sexual assaults go unreported and we're still only at around 15.5%.

Now don't get me wrong, that's still a horrible number but hardly "most women" now is it? I don't mean to play down the seriousness of the issue but IMO inflating the figures only hurts legitimate victims.

EDIT: Here's a source for those figures - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/08/sexual-assault-women-crime-survey-england-wales-ons-police-figures

Be wary that the headline is a bit sensationalist but the actual figures are stated in the article itself.

He said harassment too. I bet most women have suffered some level of unwanted sexual advance or worse. A friend of ours had her arse slapped by an Italian restaurant owner only last week. My missus was propositioned by a kerb crawler while she was temping at an NHS centre in a dodgy area.

And his cheque bounced. Boom, boom.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Do we have our own problems in the UK to that extent? I know a lot of women and none of them have ever been sexually assaulted or even harassed as seems to be the message online. If anything I think the likelihood is decreasing with the #MeToo and all that. Maybe I am really sheltered but I do work in public services and see a huge number and variety of people.

They probably all have and just haven't told you. All my female friends, former girlfriends and current girlfriend have been harassed at a minimum and some sexually assaulted. Once I truly realised how common and constant it is I felt sick.

• Paid Members

I’ve cancelled too. The dulcet tones of JR, King, Gorilla, Heenan, Ventura, Vince himself, Heyman, Styles, Schiavone, Bischoff, Cole, Tazz, JBL and many others have helped me get to sleep for years, so it’s going to be odd getting used to that changing. But a very small price to pay to not be part of this company. 

We’re talking about something far worse than sexual harassment here though. Whilst sexual harassment is terrible in itself, this is someone being tranquillised and raped. Rape being second only to murder in terms of crime seriousness. The soldier probably got away with it and Vince McMahon is still a billionaire with a monopoly on professional wrestling in North America (although I really hope that changes).

Some of the comments are shocking on Reddit too. Like someone who said their sister was raped three times when she was in the Navy and was punished for trying to tarnish a superior’s reputation. 

Is there any proof it happened? Like, will Jerry McDevitt just be able to brush it aside as bitter ex employee with a drug problem trying to make money to fuel said habit who just made it all up? You know what he’s like. He won’t think twice about making her look like shit to protect his client. 

We all know that if this happened it wouldn’t be a shock at all at the way it was handled. After years of following them, we know what they are. Most of them are horrible, callous cunts. One face on twitter and at charity events and another behind the scenes.

Hopefully the non wrestling public can catch on to this. Change was needed long before this happened.

5 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Is there any proof it happened? Like, will Jerry McDevitt just be able to brush it aside as bitter ex employee with a drug problem trying to make money to fuel said habit who just made it all up? You know what he’s like. He won’t think twice about making her look like shit to protect his client. 

I personally don't think McDevitt will get a chance to do that, as it very likely won't end up anywhere near a court room. The biggest hope is that widespread reporting of the incident is enough to potentially encourage some more eyeballs to cast a glance at the industry in general and start asking questions.

1 minute ago, David said:

I personally don't think McDevitt will get a chance to do that, as it very likely won't end up anywhere near a court room. The biggest hope is that widespread reporting of the incident is enough to potentially encourage some more eyeballs to cast a glance at the industry in general and start asking questions.

I don’t really mean in court. He can put out a statement to the media with all his counterpoints etc and try and shut it all down.

I do think that the fact it’s a woman and it’s 2019 will help a lot. These things are getting traction now more than they ever were. And some 60 year old male millionaire lawyer using his usual bully boy tactics might actually make things worse for them. Hopefully. 

Fwiw I've cancelled too, still got my podcasts, going to the New Japan show in London in August and will probably watch AEW on Saturday night to fill the wrestling void. Whether it's a permanent cancellation will depend on what I can see come out of this - if it draws enough scrutiny to their dodgy relationships and forces their hand to change WWE then the company will be a better place for it.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

One of the more depressing things that come to mind is that, whilst the US military has had a tendency to close ranks regarding its atrocities, chances are that McMahon, being an arch-Republican, husband of a former Republican candidate for the senate, and therefore a bit more "in" with the establishment, probably had a bit more chance than most of getting remedy and support for Massaro if he'd actually tried to do something.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

One of the more depressing things that come to mind is that, whilst the US military has had a tendency to close ranks regarding its atrocities, chances are that McMahon, being an arch-Republican, husband of a former Republican candidate for the senate, and therefore a bit more "in" with the establishment, probably had a bit more chance than most of getting remedy and support for Massaro if he'd actually tried to do something.

This is an excellent and depressing point.