Cartoons

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

It looks really good. The story and journey was really good as well. I liked Alan Oppenheimer's cameo as Moss Man, Hamill is a bit too Joker for my liking, but it's a nitpick and he puts in a heck of a turn, as always.

It's got a heck of a cast. I liked the nods to the minicomics and original pre-cartoon lore as well with things like the two halves of the sword of power, and the ancient heroes turning up. It's a shame John Erwin has retired and is enjoying his private life as I'm sure they'd have had something for him to do as well.

There's some nice fanservice in places (Wun-Darr/Wonderbread He-Man) and references to MOTU's origins as an attempt by Mattel to get the Conan licence before spinning it all out into something new.

Part two looks like it'll be interesting.

It is quite funny to see people pissing and moaning on the internet about the absence of He-Man, when in the original show a lot of the time he'd only really turn up in the final reel and to tell kids not to talk to strangers at the end.

• Paid Members

The incel reaction has really bummed me out. I know they exist sure but in the bizarre numbers this got is frightening. It's top notch and as far as I can tell the only argument they have is 'it has a girl doing things'.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, DEF said:

The incel reaction has really bummed me out. I know they exist sure but in the bizarre numbers this got is frightening. It's top notch and as far as I can tell the only argument they have is 'it has a girl doing things'.

You missed out that the women are too butch. That’s another one I’ve seen a lot. Fandoms are the fucking worst at times

• Paid Members
Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

You missed out that the women are too butch. That’s another one I’ve seen a lot. Fandoms are the fucking worst at times

I can imagine. That and she got a hair cut and had a girlfriend. All utterly mental 'criticisms'. Even if I were to concede that Teela has a bigger part than she should (I don't, it serves the story and is cannon from the original series) then what's it fucking matter? Women should have representation and so should lgbtq. But seriously Man at Arms, Orko and Evil Lynn were both absolutely as important to the story as Teela.

• Paid Members

Was there ever a reason the 3rd dvd set of the Batman animated series never got released over here and was it printed anywhere region free or region 2?

It seems a shame they seemingly didn't round out the series before just doing the full set with the new adventures stuck in too. 

9 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Was there ever a reason the 3rd dvd set of the Batman animated series never got released over here and was it printed anywhere region free or region 2?

It seems a shame they seemingly didn't round out the series before just doing the full set with the new adventures stuck in too. 

Volumes 1 & 2 were originally released as HMV Exclusives, although I’m sure they did wind up being sold in others places too.

I can only imagine that like with most things it was probably due to low sales. The first set was released around the time that Batman Begins was released, but the whole superhero’s/comic culture thing was still seen as being a thing for nerds at that time.

Fast forward to years later its the show’s 25th anniversary set and you’ve got Marvel in full swing releasing films every few months and the Nolan trilogy has wound up and DC deciding they want to do their own cinematic universe, there’s renewed interest in Batman again

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Finished MOTU Revelations last night. Tons of fun. Like @CavemanLynn, I’d struggle to remember a single specific thing about the old series, yet everything was very weirdly familiar, so those late 80’s reruns are definitely embedded in some hard to access memory somewhere. Really, really enjoyed it, and those incel reactions are even more baffling having seen the show. It was great. 

He-man definitely seemed to be shifting towards wee-man in terms of physique, though:

roundthebend4.jpg

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, hallicks said:

Really, really enjoyed it, and those incel reactions are even more baffling having seen the show. It was great. 

Like my Mum being warned off the Exorcist by her Church I suspect they haven't watched it and just make their daft minds up based on incel Facebook posts etc. 

Unfortunately Kevin Smith let slip that Netflix are looking at early 2022 for the send half to be released. The logic being that they don't want huge gaps between MOTU content.

I didn’t really like the new MOTU. I thought the animation was decent and looked great in HDR but I found the story a bit on the dull side. It seemed to be more about Teela when I expected it to be more about He-Man v Skelator. I heard it’s getting very mixed reviews online and Kevin Smith hasn’t taken the criticism too well. I get that MOTU is more of a kid’s cartoon and toy line above all else but this series was supposed to have been aimed at older viewers who grew up watching the original series. Which is why I watched it but I wasn’t that impressed overall.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, LCJ said:

I get that MOTU is more of a kid’s cartoon and toy line above all else but this series was supposed to have been aimed at older viewers who grew up watching the original series. Which is why I watched it but I wasn’t that impressed overall.

I think you are misremembering the original series. It was as much about He-Man and Skeletor as it was Orko, Man At Arms and Teela imo. The new series feels like one episode of the old series told in long form in my view but with bad ass action and animation.

I've strugged to get past episode 2 of the new Motu. 

Animation is wonderful and there's a cracking story unfolding in there. 

However 

Spoiler

Prince Adam may actually be more annoying than JD in Scrubs. 

Orko, despite being a master magician, nearly kills cringer in a bubble? 

Joker Skeletor, should work. it did in He Man 2000 or of the Future   or whatever it was called but it falls too flat here.  which is a crying shame, especially given Mark Hamill

Love Man At Arms, one of the things they've nailed. 

Lena Headey seems to be phoning it in as Evil Lyn. 

There's a real disconnect between the VA and animation, something that also plagues the recent Transformers Trilogy. 

Hopefully it picks up. 

I’m not too keen on the new Transformers either. Although visually superb, Netflix cut costs with the voice actors and I also found the storyline to be a bit dull. They’d have been better off just buying the rights to the Generation 1 cartoons (and 1986 movie in 4K) and showing those instead.

Come to think of it, the only Netflix original animation that I actually enjoyed was the Rocko’s Modern Life one-off special.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed the new MotU. I don't watch this type of stuff normally so I don't know what kind of standard to hold it to, but I was all about He-Man as a boy and this delivered the nostalgia I crave in spades by drawing so much influence from the original toy lines, whilst delivering a story and artistic style that I can still enjoy now that I'm pushing forty.

Having said all that, this was the unexpected highlight of the series so far...

Spoiler