Cartoons

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Dunno if we ever had a general thread for cartoons and animation but I couldn't fine one and cartoons are great. 

Mainly just wanted somewhere to post this though, Genndy Tartakovsky is doing a new prehistoric cartoon series called Primal and it looks cool, I thought it would be for kids but it seems pretty dark and violent, reminds me a bit of the old Ralph Bakshi stuff. I'm still gutted we never got his Popeye.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Classic, but don't try to watch it now. The dub is dreadful, really put a dent in your memories of it. Willie Fogg still holds up though. 

I rewatched the whole thing last year and loved it, if anything it was more elegant and grown up than I was remembering.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, ThumpSquids said:

Animation I can still go back to:

Ren & Stimpy, The Misadventures of Flapjack, Samurai Jack 

It has the John K stench associatted with it now, which means I get conflicted wearing my Ren and Stimpy t-shirt.

Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, The Tick, Thundercats all stil hold up well for me. Oh and the Bat-Man and Spider-Man cartoons from the 90's.

Now days, Hey Douggie and Teen Titans Go is about all I see

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

It has the John K stench associatted with it now, which means I get conflicted wearing my Ren and Stimpy t-shirt.

Rocko's Modern Life, Doug, The Tick, Thundercats all stil hold up well for me. Oh and the Bat-Man and Spider-Man cartoons from the 90's.

Now days, Hey Douggie and Teen Titans Go is about all I see

Weirdly enough, Netflix recently announced that they'll be releasing a brand spanking new Rocko's Modern Life movie, which I'm quite looking forward to.

Also, after bringing it up in the 'Stuff Everyone Likes (Off-Topic edition)' thread, I went back and re watched both series of Rex The Runt and it is still so, so wonderful. Way ahead of it's time in some regards, too.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, ThumpSquids said:

Animation I can still go back to:

Ren & Stimpy, The Misadventures of Flapjack, Samurai Jack 

For me the best cartoon of all time is the Real Ghostbusters, so well written and looks and sounds so great, it will never be topped.

Dungeons and Dragons is another one that's still a good watch, some really good stories on that as well and the background music is awesome.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Dunno if we ever had a general thread for cartoons and animation but I couldn't fine one and cartoons are great. 

Mainly just wanted somewhere to post this though, Genndy Tartakovsky is doing a new prehistoric cartoon series called Primal and it looks cool, I thought it would be for kids but it seems pretty dark and violent, reminds me a bit of the old Ralph Bakshi stuff. I'm still gutted we never got his Popeye.

That's definitely not kid friendly.

Did the Popeye reboot not get off the ground?

I’m sure The Simpson’s would be worthy of its own thread (being the greatest animated series and possibly TV show of all time), so probably best to not mention that here.

Ren & Stimpy was incredibly of its time, or rather I was at the right age when it aired. See also Beavis & Butthead.

Tintin was another I adored as a child, and still hold up to this day.

I tell you what is a modern classic. Hey Duggee. It is funny, it’s inclusive, it has a lot of heart, and Norries Dad cracks me up...

I tell you what’s rancid though. Super Mario Bros cartoon. Watched some the other day with the kids and it is utter shite.

• Paid Members

Recently I've been watching the Spawn HBO series. I had the old heavily cut 12 rated DVDs back in the early 2000's and I really dug it but to be honest it was bit of a mess and hard to follow. Well now I can see why. They practically gutted it to get a 12 rating. No wonder it felt so choppy. Believe me if you are like me and only saw the cut version you owe it to your self to check out the uncut.

I love animation. Even have a collection of original animation cels used in production. I tend to not be as interested in the big US sitcom animations. Not that I haven't watched my fair share. They just don't excite me and I don't really go out of my way. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but it's always struck me as odd that the US seem only capable of making animated shows and films for the family (that span different genres) or these adult sitcoms. Apparently there's no market for action, horror or drama animation for teens/adults.

The MTV Oddites block from the 90's was awesome. Aeon Flux, The Maxx and The Head were amazing.