Cartoons

Bellenda Carlisle

Peppa's been banned by my wife, thankfully. They do sneak the odd bit in for grown ups but it's got nothing on Hey Duggie. There's one funny bit in Peppa that sticks with me, near the end of one episode, she's standing with a load of the grown ups. She says, "I'm very interesting!" And all the grown ups laugh heartily. And it's never mentioned again. 

21 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

For me the best cartoon of all time is the Real Ghostbusters, so well written and looks and sounds so great, it will never be topped.

Dungeons and Dragons is another one that's still a good watch, some really good stories on that as well and the background music is awesome.

Think I might have to agree with you on the Real Ghostbusters. I watched it the first time around as a child in the mid to late 80s and didn't appreciate it as much back then. Having watched the show again as an adult on Netflix from start to finish fairly recently, I can't get over how good the first couple of series were. The quality of the writing, the jokes (particularly the one-liners) and some of the animation was superb. There are a lot of jokes and situations in there that only adults would get which surprised me from a DIC Enterprises Cartoon. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end and after the first two series, I believe an external consultancy company were brought in to fix a cartoon that wasn't broken. The actress who played Janine was replaced. As was Lorenzo "Garfield" Music as Peter Venkman (replaced by Full House's Dave Coulier). Although Coulier wasn't bad, he couldn't deliver the sarcastic one-liners as well as Lorenzo Music. Rumour has it Bill Murray told the show's producer's that as Peter Venkman sounded more like Garfield than him, it caused the producers to recast. The show was much more of a dumbed down kid's programme after the the first two seasons and never really recovered.

Dungeons and Dragons was also a quality cartoon. A lot of 80s cartoon background music was great whether it was in Marvel or DIC Enterprises cartoons.

1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Here's a link to a post by one of the key people involved in Real Ghostbusters run, some interesting stuff here if you're a fan:

https://www.facebook.com/officialjmspage/posts/1589239921110865

That along with the comments explain a lot. I think when the show was on abc in America, that’s when the consultancy company was brought in which basically ruined the show. The syndicated episodes were much better but being British, I remember the whole series being on ITV.

• Paid Members

What animation/drawing style do people prefer? A lot of shows tend to have a heavy Manga style to them. Which I've always found off putting when applied to Western shows. I much prefer the style used in that Popeye trailer. Is there a reason for the what I call "the Manga influence"? Why do so many shows seem to default to that style? It even gets used in some of the DC animated movies. The Manga style definitely has its place. I would prefer it to be not so prevalent.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LCJ said:

That along with the comments explain a lot. I think when the show was on abc in America, that’s when the consultancy company was brought in which basically ruined the show. The syndicated episodes were much better but being British, I remember the whole series being on ITV.

According to wiki, Season 2 was the only one in syndication, the rest were all first run on ABC

42 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

According to wiki, Season 2 was the only one in syndication, the rest were all first run on ABC

Whatever the situation, from what I saw, the show went downhill after the first two seasons. Noticeably.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, LCJ said:

Whatever the situation, from what I saw, the show went downhill after the first two seasons. Noticeably.

Oh, I do not disagree. That is when the first lot of cast changes started happening so something definetly wasnt right. I don't really understand the whole network/syndication thing they have in the states anyway

The way I understand it from things JMS has written in the past is, as the show gained more popularity, the network became more interested in the show and got much more hands on and pretty much ruined all the things that made it good. Like how they recast the female character/actor because they said she was too New York or unrelatable for children or something. 

1 hour ago, BigJag said:

What animation/drawing style do people prefer? A lot of shows tend to have a heavy Manga style to them. Which I've always found off putting when applied to Western shows. I much prefer the style used in that Popeye trailer. Is there a reason for the what I call "the Manga influence"? Why do so many shows seem to default to that style? It even gets used in some of the DC animated movies. The Manga style definitely has its place. I would prefer it to be not so prevalent.

The "manga" style in western cartoons is fine when done well and it has a reason to be there, it suited Castlevania perfectly with it's obvious Berserk influence and is one of the best looking shows in recent years.

I'm not a fan of this style currently doing the rounds with shows like Steven Universe and the upcoming Thundercats reboot, it's more annoying because the last reboot was gorgeous and a far better show than the original ever was yet was largely ignored. I think if it was released today it'd be huge as more eyes are on animated shows.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

The "manga" style in western cartoons is fine when done well and it has a reason to be there, it suited Castlevania perfectly with it's obvious Berserk influence and is one of the best looking shows in recent years.

I'm not a fan of this style currently doing the rounds with shows like Steven Universe and the upcoming Thundercats reboot, it's more annoying because the last reboot was gorgeous and a far better show than the original ever was yet was largely ignored. I think if it was released today it'd be huge as more eyes are on animated shows.

I've always assumed that a lot of animation was out sourced to Japan/Korea hence the style.

Thundercats (2011) was cracking IMO but the Wife hated the character design so it seems it was quite polarising. I didn't even realise Thundercats Roar was a thing until you mentioned it.

I finished Spawn season 1 earlier and it's really great. Bleak as hell but I'm still 14 in my heart so the OTT violence, superfluous nudity and swearyness appeals to me.