Cartoons

Bellenda Carlisle

Do you think the 2011 reboot of Thundercats would have done much better if it was released today instead? I adored it at the time, thought they did a stellar job and improved on the original by quite a bit. I just feel like there's more of an audience for it ten years later ona streaming service.

I've been looking forward to Revelations since it was announced as I'm a huge MOTU fan, particularly the original series and the trailer looks fantastic. We should see some form of first look at Dreamwork's own version of MOTU soon enough as well as the action figure images for that are already online

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Has anyone seen Flying Lotus' new cartoon on Netflix, Yasuke? It takes a lot of the old school violent anime tropes, like lots of Ninja Scroll and makes a pretty decent show out of them.

Thanks for the heads up. Ninja Scroll is a favourite of mine so I've just given the first 3 eps of Yasuke a watch. Love it so far. The first episode took me a while to warm up to it but I'm thoroughly hooked on it now. I've not given any of the Netflix animes a go other than Castlevania is there anything else that would appeal to an old school Manga Entertainment fan?

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

I've been looking forward to Revelations since it was announced as I'm a huge MOTU fan, particularly the original series and the trailer looks fantastic. We should see some form of first look at Dreamwork's own version of MOTU soon enough as well as the action figure images for that are already online

I was looking into the MOTU frnachise yesterday and it is a messy beast. Dreamworks owns the licences for everything now except Toys (Mattel) and Film (Sony). Despite Mattel creating Masters of the Universe, they sold the IP and through acquisitions is now owned by Universal (after they purchased Dreamworks). Mattel get first dibs on making toys until 2023 when those rights also go to Universal, so, now there are 3 He-Man toylines coming out this year and 2 shows, it seems Mattel are trying to make the most of it while they still can.

It is odd how both Netflix and Dreamworks are making 2 separate shows and both will be for Netflix as well.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I was looking into the MOTU frnachise yesterday and it is a messy beast. Dreamworks owns the licences for everything now except Toys (Mattel) and Film (Sony). Despite Mattel creating Masters of the Universe, they sold the IP and through acquisitions is now owned by Universal (after they purchased Dreamworks). Mattel get first dibs on making toys until 2023 when those rights also go to Universal, so, now there are 3 He-Man toylines coming out this year and 2 shows, it seems Mattel are trying to make the most of it while they still can.

It is odd how both Netflix and Dreamworks are making 2 separate shows and both will be for Netflix as well.

Interesting. So is the Revelation show sub licensed to Netflix by Universal? I was under the impression it was from Mattel.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, DEF said:

Interesting. So is the Revelation show sub licensed to Netflix by Universal? I was under the impression it was from Mattel.

Well, it's possible it is Mattel as they have created a toyline (similar to the original deal with Filmnation), but Dreamworks holds far more rights then Mattel overall. It also explains why last time I went to Universal, there was a meet and greet with She-Ra. Likewise, it could be, as Netflix have bought both shows, they asked for them to Universal and they passed this on to Powerhouse via Mattel.

Basically, the whole ownership of He-Man is currently mad (until 2023).

1 hour ago, DEF said:

Thanks for the heads up. Ninja Scroll is a favourite of mine so I've just given the first 3 eps of Yasuke a watch. Love it so far. The first episode took me a while to warm up to it but I'm thoroughly hooked on it now. I've not given any of the Netflix animes a go other than Castlevania is there anything else that would appeal to an old school Manga Entertainment fan?

Parasyte if it's still on there, a modern anime but based on a great 80's/90's manga. Very much in that old school violent style.

Oh and Devilman: Crybaby. It's the perfect modern follow up/retelling to the classic bloody OVA's.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Parasyte if it's still on there, a modern anime but based on a great 80's/90's manga. Very much in that old school violent style.

Oh and Devilman: Crybaby. It's the perfect modern follow up/retelling to the classic bloody OVA's.

Will definitely checkout Devilman: Crybaby the original OVA's are ace. Parasyte is still on there so that's on the watch list now too.

I've just finished Yasuke in one sitting. Couldn't help myself. It's an easy watch. If I had a minor issue it would be I'd have liked more detailed shading in the character designs but it's still well animated, directed and paced. He's a cracking character. Any idea if they are doing a second season?

• Paid Members

Watching a Toy Galaxy about Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (one of Capcom's best beat em ups, but that's for another thread) and I happened across this Youtube channel. Some interesting stuff on there, including the live action show with Mr T as a detective which somehow ran for 5 seasons. Presumably they didn't want to incur his wrath by cancelling it, because they're not crazy fools.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroRerunTV/playlists

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Watching a Toy Galaxy about Cadillacs & Dinosaurs (one of Capcom's best beat em ups, but that's for another thread) and I happened across this Youtube channel. Some interesting stuff on there, including the live action show with Mr T as a detective which somehow ran for 5 seasons. Presumably they didn't want to incur his wrath by cancelling it, because they're not crazy fools.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroRerunTV/playlists

Yeah that channel is great I keep meaning to watch some T and T whenever they throw up a new one. Cadillacs & Dinosaurs is ace. That Toy Galaxy episode was great. I had no idea about the original comic.