The Tech Thread

Steve Justice

• Paid Members

My laptop got lost moving house a few years back and I never bothered to replace it, however I'm looking at learning Linux, R & some other assorted, because I've been told the training we're getting isn't going to be enough and it's worth a bit of extra if you want, which I do as it's an area of interest. However I don't want to be running it on my work laptop as its a ballache to do anything with our security setup, so I need a new personal one. 

As with everything my first port of call is the good ship UKFF for recommendations. I'm after something which will have a suitable spec, laptop ideally but desktop would be OK too, to use free lab spaces and courses without being ripped off as a massive technology rube. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not really sure where to post this but tomorrow Bill and Ted Face The Music comes out in the US. I'm pretty desperate to see it and have no problem paying for it. Anyone know if I used a VPN I could rent it on Amazon.com or something? Anyone else got a plan to see it? I've got a PS4, Laptop and a firestick.

EDIT - gone with getting expressvpn and renting it on Vudu. Hopefully I haven't just thrown away 30 quid.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, King Coconut said:

Please let me know if it works!

Yep worked a treat. Vudu has a paypal option so I paid using that.

• 1 month later...

My laptop has finally gone kaput - had it since around 2012 so I can't really complain.

I'm a tight Yorkshireman, so I'm looking for a cheap, basic replacement - as all I basically use it for is to play Champ Manager 01/02.

I've just had a Google but I've no idea what I'm looking for. Anyone any recommendations for basically a laptop with a DVD/CD Drive so I can ignore the wife whilst she's watching Bake Off?

Cheers.

Edited by Max Power

2 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Might be worth looking at getting notebook and a separate external cd drive? Do you need the Cd in all the time or just for installing?

Just for installing.

All I want to do is bang the CD in then play the game.

My life is boring and simple.