Top Wrestling Twitter

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Yeah, the cause or effect point is very valid, and if I’m truly honest, I think NXT has had the biggest part to play. I know a number of people who were lapsed fans to an extent, started watching NXT prior and during Nakmuras run. They were always aware of ‘Japan’ but not in any detail and at best we’re aware of Ultimo Dragon, Tajiri, Taka etc.

They were curious and it happened to coincide with the Bullet Club doing their thing.

I can’t speak for the entire driving force obviously, but from the people I know who are recent fans of Japan in some form, it stemmed from NXT, but Bullet Club hugely grabbed their attention, whilst they were being curious.

NXT - Bullet Club - NJPW World subscribers.

I’d be interested to know how many new NJPW fans in general, took notice due to NXT.

That's interesting, because I'd actually have thought of things the other way around - WWE signing Nakamura, Styles, Gallows & Anderson all at once seemed like a concerted effort to snap up the most marketable (to western audiences) NJPW talent, in the hope of nipping that in the bud.

I think Nakamura to NXT was a watershed moment in WWE's acknowledgement that the Japanese scene was on people's radar, but hadn't considered it also working the other way around. Again, though, whether there's a causal link or just an inevitable consequence of the world of wrestling opening up, who knows?

Thinking about it, it is interesting how WWE signed the key components of Bullet Club (AJ, Gallows & Anderson) most likely in the hope of cutting off their momentum as a merchandisable property, only to inadvertently create the opportunity for Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks to step up, who would go on to be far more proactive in furthering Bullet Club as a brand than anyone before them.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That's interesting, because I'd actually have thought of things the other way around - WWE signing Nakamura, Styles, Gallows & Anderson all at once seemed like a concerted effort to snap up the most marketable (to western audiences) NJPW talent, in the hope of nipping that in the bud.

I think Nakamura to NXT was a watershed moment in WWE's acknowledgement that the Japanese scene was on people's radar, but hadn't considered it also working the other way around. Again, though, whether there's a causal link or just an inevitable consequence of the world of wrestling opening up, who knows?

Thinking about it, it is interesting how WWE signed the key components of Bullet Club (AJ, Gallows & Anderson) most likely in the hope of cutting off their momentum as a merchandisable property, only to inadvertently create the opportunity for Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks to step up, who would go on to be far more proactive in furthering Bullet Club as a brand than anyone before them.

Yeah, that’s how it was for me, and on the bigger picture, you’re bang on, but I also find it interesting that I know of some fans who weren’t aware of the current Japan scene at all, saw Nakamura in NXT, found out through the grape vine “if you like him and the NXT vibe, check out Japan” and then that sparked their interest. Bullet Club were on fire, which turned the interest in to something much more.

Don’t get me wrong, I expect those are in the minority, but I still wonder how many people this was the case for.