An 'All In' Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

Hide contents

I'm a bit biased being an Impact Wrestling guy but having Brian Cage eliminated by a woman was pretty pathetic 2018 indy booking.

Loved the bit where Dreamer and Billy Gunn teased diving through the ropes though.

To be fair, it was Jordynne Grace, who is both hench and awesome looking, so fair enough. I really like the look of her, hopefully she is NXT bound in the not too distant future

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm a bit biased being an Impact Wrestling guy but having Brian Cage eliminated by a woman was pretty pathetic 2018 indy booking.

Loved the bit where Dreamer and Billy Gunn teased diving through the ropes though.

It was to set up a match between the two at a show on the 16th of September 

8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I'm not paying 40 quid to watch a bunch of people I've never heard of. I'm sure they'll be fine. 

Even if you're in the same boat as me and hardly watch indie wrestling, being as active the wrestling fan you seem to be, I'm sure you've at least heard of Young Bucks, Mysterio, Okada, Jay Lethal, Rhodes, Magnus, Chris Daniels, Briscoes to name a few. That's the chunk of the card. I'm not saying that means you should pay 40 quid to watch it (I'm sure not) but it's not just a bunch of complete nobodies.

• Paid Members

Really fun show but then again my expectations were a bit low. Happy to see them pull it off without any major hiccups and the crows were into it for the most part. 

It was super long though and the pacing was off but that's teething problems when running your first show. You could audibly hear the Bucks in the main event shouting "Go home! Go home!" five minutes in. If you would've taken off MJF/Cross and Lethal/Flip, the show would've flowed better with more breathing room. 

I'm not too fussed about Cody/Aldis going on early in the card. The show wasn't built around the NWA title match, it didn't sell all the tickets based on the NWA title match (the show sold out without an announced card) and it felt shoe horned in. It went on early as the the crowd were still fresh, took the first-half main event spot and they vastly over delivered. So that's a success in my book.

Also, Marko Stunt was robbed. 

I thought that was a really fun show, all in all. Ran smoothly as could be expected barring them completely running out of time in the main event, but that match was always going to be a sprint, so it was only going on for another five minutes maximum.

MJF vs Cross was fine. It was there. Probably not the best of opponents to showcase their respective styles but didn't overstay its welcome, and I appreciated MJF's genuine attempts to try and get heat with his consistent trash talking. Wouldn't have been my choice for an opener but whatever. Wasn't horrible. Put it on the pre-show and dedicate a bit more PPV time to the main event / closing segment.

Daniels tried his best but Amell was so sloppy. Everything looked really fake. Nothing looked convincing. The two moonsaults in particular stood out like a sore thumb. Shit.

Enjoyed the women's fatal four way, thought everyone looked pretty good. Aldis vs Cody felt a little forced at times, and Cody needing three whole minutes to find his blade was dull but they managed to reel it all around and grab a nice moment at the end when he won. Felt there were a few spots where they weren't on the same page, but wasn't awful as I'd initially predicted, the crowd reaction got them over the finishing line. Aldis isn't very good at all.

Enjoyed Janela vs Page, played to both of their strengths. Janela always looks good in a hardcore plunder environment, and Page didn't have to show much character so he would've been in his element. Well paced, but having another match with outside interference despite the no disqualification spot was a bit crap. The whole Joey Ryan stuff worked for the live audience, I suppose.

Didn't watch the ROH Championship match because I think Flip Gordon is the shits. 

Pentagon vs Kenny was the match of the night. I was worrying about Kenny not being 100% but his sprint style works so well with someone like Pentagon. That package piledriver from Omega where Penta landed smack on his bonce wasn't nice viewing though. Really enjoyable match, and the Jericho stuff was so well done. Thought they did really well putting that together.

Pleased to see we got serious Marty, but his match with Okada just didn't click for me until the last few minutes. Maybe it didn't help that the crowd was starting to burn out, or the really slow start they insisted upon, but I just wasn't feeling it. Obviously towards the end business picks up because very few wrestlers in the world have better finishing sequences than Okada. It was good, but both men have had far better matches this year.

Main event was chaotic whilst it lasted. Glad to see that Bandido delivered. He's really going to breakout in the next couple of months. Rey looked good, I liked the crowd hype for his stuff with Kota. Sort of environment in which the Bucks thrive so no surprise to see them put on a really fun main event to send the fans home happy.

• Paid Members

They should have totally put Cody Rhodes on last. The match quality didnt mean a thing compared to the build. It was basically Frank Bruno winning the World title after 12 rounds in his 40s. Nobody gives a shit what happened between both bells. The big fight feel with the corner men was amazingly well done. And the post match was spectacular. The final shot should have been DDP, Glacier, the Bucks, Marty, Brandi, his dog and all that lot lifting him in the air as the trademark came on screen.

Nick Aldis' career maybe dead now, though. That match was such a one man show. If Aldis couldnt put on a main event performance in a building that had a solid support for the challenger, he'd have no hope with anyone else. Rhodes was doing everything to get a good match out of him. DDP showing up, the blade job, the SummerSlam 92 finish, there was so much pre-planned spots to get that crowd going. In that sense it was a masterpiece for what it could have been.

Cody Rhodes is what Jim Cornette should be. His old school sensibilities are evident with the build to the NWA World title match. Rhodes is far from a spotty comedy wrestler. But he takes all that knowledge his Dad, his brother, DDP and all his family and friends passed on to him, and puts in into a modern audience, where he'll allow some shit comedy on the show because sometimes the taste of the booker doesnt matter. Its what the audience you are selling to wants. Its not just dick jokes and comedy, but if they want dick jokes and comedy, you give it to them.

Here’s what I haven’t fully got my head round...

Say you’re into this All In business, something about the grassroots-gone-good story makes you want to blossom into a full time follower: how do you even do that?

It seems to me that if you want to follow what’s going on, you need 101 different subscriptions and 17 hours a day to watch wrestling. I could be wrong but didn’t All In feature bits of NJPW, bits of ROH and bits of NWA?

I just think until you at least find a platform that consolidates all that content, and streamlines the amount you need to be across to get involved, there’s always going to be a glass ceiling to this kind of thing and it’s always going to struggle to build any momentum after an All In type moment.

I could be reading it all wrong though, and I’m just a confused outsider.

What they should do is, put all the rights on a single app but instead of charging per show or per company, attach a small fee to each wrestler (the bigger the star the bigger the price) and every time they’re involved in an angle or match, that content opens up to you. There... solved.

...or not.

• Paid Members

This was a good show that would’ve been a great show if it wasn’t so fucking long. Ironic, really. A show sold as an alternative to WWE actually made the same mistake Vince makes by turning these big shows into a marathon that’s a slog to get through. Five hours including the pre-show? No need. I don’t care what show it is, that’s too damn long. Cut the fat.

The production was fantastic. The set and ring looked great and they did an amazing job shooting the crowd. I wish they’d mic’d the crowd a bit better though because you could tell they were going apeshit at times but you couldn’t hear them as well as you can on WWE shows.

I loved the Flip Gordon unmasking angle in the pre-show battle royal. Simple, fun stuff. So disappointed he didn’t win the Title later on. I’d much prefer him to Jay Lethal, who I think is mostly crap.

Okay opener. MJF isn’t as good as I think he thinks he is. Him, EC3 and Nick Aldis are all the same. They’ve got the character stuff down but they’re nothing special in the ring and it really shows in this day and age.

Speaking of Aldis, I’m with Ian. Despite it being unnecessarily overbooked and mostly a disappointment in the ring, Aldis vs. Cody should’ve been the main event. One of the best-built matches of the year, this was always going to be about the entrances and the result and they should’ve gone off the air with Cody celebrating with his awesome dog. Brilliant. More babyfaces should come to the ring with their dog. I don’t know anything about this new NWA with Billy Corgan in charge so I don’t know if they’ve been doing it for a while, but whoever decided to have the weigh-ins and to have the “camps” walk the guys to the ring is a genius. These tiny MMA/Boxing touches made a huge difference in making this feel absolutely massive. Great finish and it was awesome to see how much this seemed to genuinely mean to Cody. There’s every chance it was all an act of course, but either way that was great. Shame about Earl Hebner though, who’s exactly like Jim Ross; you’ve got fond memories of him but he’s now a bewildered, useless shell of himself. Earl had a shocker here. Stumbling over his words during the intro, saying it could only end via pinfall or submission only to keep starting his ten count whenever guys went to the outside, but not counting when Cody lies on the floor blading for about a month, and worst of all genuinely getting in the way during spots. Come on, Earl. Pack it in.

Omega vs. Penta was match of the night. Great stuff from both guys. That Jericho angle was bloody brilliant, too. So disappointed when he said he’d see him on the Jericho Cruise though. An angle that good for a show no-one on land will ever see? Gutted.

Joey Janella is nuts. Guy’s going to end up in a wheelchair. The Joey Ryan stuff wasn’t for me but I liked the idea of how much it would wind up people like Jim Cornette.

Okada vs. Marty was really great but it was during their match that viewer fatigue really set in.

Main event was just getting awesome when they rushed off the air. Great for what we saw but another five minutes and this would’ve been incredible. I blame Mysterio for taking forever on his entrance. Rey Fenix running the top rope is always crazy to watch. I think Ibushi might be the best wrestler on the planet right now, too.

So yeah, this would’ve been a home run if they’d cut about an hour out somewhere. Hopefully we get another one. Cody already hinted at going, “double or nothing,” which sounds like the perfect name.

I've seen bits and bobs of Janela before but there was a point in his entrance, where I looked at him, with his daft shades his shiny jacket, his paunch and his hot, trashy looking girlfriend and I was absolutely mesmerised. He just looked absolutely mental and dangerous, but most of all cool.

Of the two guys outside of Bullet Club that you felt like they wanted to showcase going in, the other being MJF, to me Janela looked like a star. 

I'd also be very surprised if WWE didn't make overtures toward Penelope Ford.

My Dad popped round on Sunday when it was on the background (in his 70s and still a wrestling fan)

He asked me if it was another NXT special  I told him it was All In which he was aware of the show, he replied “oh NXT in 2 years time them”

Nailed it.

Archived