An 'All In' Thread

MPDTT

I can't really add any more than what's been said, it was a fantastic show and everyone involved should be incredibly proud. When you consider this was the first ever show these guys have put on it was an absolute production miracle, not without it's hiccups but a miracle just the same. Extra credit goes to the Bucks for recovering from a botched finish and still managing to take it home a mere 3 seconds before the PPV feed cut out. Genius.

Oh, and Marty/Okada was MotN for me and nothing anybody says will change my mind. The "2-0-5" hand gesture into finger break was amazing and Okada is the GOAT.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I slim watched the end as knackered but what was the botch? 

First time I’ve seen anything by the majority of any of these wrestlers and Okada/Omega/Marty/Pentagon stand out, followed by the 6 man tag lot actually. The rest are miles behind.

Billy Gunna crotch chop stuff is so cheesy and embarrassing, must have done it 10 tones and then his son does it? Meh.

Ref that top rope bounce back thing  that Tyler Bate does (from whom I saw it first), saw Matt Cross does it too, where did this originate? 

1 hour ago, adequate8 said:

Ref that top rope bounce back thing  that Tyler Bate does (from whom I saw it first), saw Matt Cross does it too, where did this originate? 

I saw matt Cross do that years ago in czw long before Tyler bate hit puberty 

3 hours ago, adequate8 said:

I slim watched the end as knackered but what was the botch? 

The sequence before the Meltzer Driver was meant to be the finish, they had to improvise a finish due to time constraints but Bandido didn’t get the memo and accidentally broke up the pin with only seconds to go before the live feed was due to cut out.

Luckily they were able to bust out a Meltzer Driver and end the match by the skin of their teeth.

• Paid Members

Even then, it looked like Fenix was legitimately trying to break up the pin and one of the Bucks waved it off - definitely seemed like the lucha lads didn't get the "go home" memo.

Overall, I thought it was a good show that could have been great. For a show that was marking itself out as an "alternative", it really felt like it played it safe way too often, and was incredibly predictable in places as a result. 

Highlights were all the business around Cody/Aldis, which was masterfully done aside from the worked injury spot dragging on too long and the Brandi elbow drop spot being wholly unnecessary and at odds with the story of the rest of the match, and Okada/Scurll, which was the most logically booked match on the show. 

Low-lights were Lethal/Flip, which just never landed with me outside of the Lanny Poffo cameo, and the whole Joey Ryan bit. Almost fell sorry for Joey Janela, taking a hideous head-first bump off a ladder, only for it to not even be allowed time to sink in with the audience before they moved on to a string of lame dick jokes. Joey Janela's out there killing himself, for a YouTube angle he's not even part of, not even making it into the pre-match hype package.

Omega/Penta was a little disappointing for me - I just don't think they play to each other's strengths well; Omega's at his best in "epic" matches full of near falls and big finishes, while Penta's strengths lie in slowing the pace, and letting small gestures resonate. There were glimmers of that, with Penta no-selling the V-Trigger and whatnot, but too much of this match just fell down into a constant repetition of finishers and big moves by Kenny, and felt too much like watching people play a video game. It was pretty much representative of the whole show - good, but self-indulgent and struggling to grasp what could have raised it up to the next level. That said, it's the kind of match that would have been superb to watch live much more than one to watch on TV after the fact.

• Paid Members

I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but the crowd were exceptional. There was little-to-no TWO SWEEEEET bollocks and I didn't hear a single CM Punk chant, neither did I hear any smarky "Ohhh look at us" chant. They reacted to everything naturally.

The more I think about this show the more I like it. @BomberPatbrings up some great points in regards to the flaws but as a whole I feel like this show will go down alongside the first One Night Stand and Takeover:Brooklyn as something really special.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

That chant seems to be dying out. Someone chanting it at an ROH show recently and was roundly booed. The whole MMA and screwing over his best mate thing has left a sour taste in the mouths of his supporters.

I have been noticing that it's dried out (thankfully) but I thought, of all places, Chicago would be the destination where it would reappear. Real happy to see that it's dead, possibly for good, unless he makes some desperate comeback. 

• Paid Members

A few thoughts from an outsider to the build to this event and the indie scene as a whole:

I really hope the show did well. We already know it did very well at the box office, but I hope the other barometers for success performed above expectations as well: PPV buys, merchandise, ratings etc. Simply because the business needs it too. It really does feels like there is a wave of momentum here, for interest rising in non-WWE wrestling. If this does well, it could attract investors to get involved, which in turn is better for everyone. More work, more options for the guys, more leverage and therefore more interest accross the board and forces people to try new things and innovate. Let's hope it does well, even if it isn't really your cup of tea - which a lot of this show really wasn't for me, but I enjoyed enough of it to watch another one. As long as everyone who it was aimed at, enjoyed it, then great work and fair play to everyone behind this show for putting their money where their mouth is and making a go of this. All In felt like a big deal, and that was important. 

As for the content of the show, I thought Cody/Aldis was by far the best thing on it. The whole presentation was fantastically well done. They managed to make the fucking damn near extinct NWA title feel important. Great work here, and this for me, was the real main event. The show may well have sold out without a match announced, but this week you could feel that the interest was for Cody's story, and that's where the show peaked. 

Pentagon Vs Omega with the Jericho surprise at the end was both action packed and newsworthy. A very exciting match that I enjoyed. Omega is V-Trigger happy, and has shit music. Other than that though, this was my second most enjoyable part of the show (other than the mental battle royal). 

The guys in the main event did brilliantly to manage at the last minute to change a 28 minute main event down to 12 minutes. It was pretty much non-stop craziness, which was what I think most will have expected. 

There were different styles on the show, which allowed matches to feel a little varied, which helps on a very long show. Which brings me to the negatives, from my point of view:

If they wanted to be different to big WWE shows, the very top of the list should have been not to run stupidly long. Trim the fat. I have no idea why the opener was there. I get the Daniels/Amell match being on the show, but I'd have put it on the pre-show, either in place of the tag match, or to make it a six man tag. Make the battle royal even bigger if you need to get people on the card, and that's two matches cut, and probably shaves around a half hour off the show. 

This was an event designed for people that follow Being The Elite. Which I have never watched, but have heard recaps of on WOR, and got an insight into here. From what I know of it, it doesn't interest me at all to check it out, which probably hampered my investment in some of the show. I think they were treading a fine line between making the show a total reward for people that follow their YouTube show and being a show to try and attract new fans by not making it as full on with the insider references. I think they came down on the wrong end of things with regards to my enjoyment, but that may have been the goal, or that may have been what the vast majority of people who had some interest in watching this show, wanted from it. It's going to vary from person to person. 

All the stuff with Joey Janela, Joey Ryan and Hangman Page did nothing for me. Seems like nonsense to me, I didn't find it funny, nor did it make me want to see either of the three of them again. Penelope Ford, will be in WWE someday, but without Joey Janela. 

There was way too much Male/Female physical interaction on this show, most of it unnecessary, and a lot of it wasn't believable. 

The commentary was very insider based. Even if the content of the show was going to be for a crowd that were in on the jokes, the commentary should have explained it but not added to the confusion. The constant commentator changes along with continuous insider references even if they weren't about what was going on in the ring, weren't needed. 

I didn't enjoy Marty Scurll Vs Okada and I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on that. I've watched Okada a couple of times before but have never seen any of Marty Scurll. I just felt the match was all wrong. It was a 50-50 match, yet I couldn't for a second buy Scurll as on Okada's level. He's not stronger, faster, more experienced, more technical, harder hitting, nor does he have the record that Okada has in big matches. Why, in Kayfabe terms, should it be a 50-50 match? Okada should have beat the piss out of him for 80% of the match, not be taking brain busters and a million other power moves from someone a lot smaller, with Scurll constantly just staying alive, and fighting valiantly from underneath. I liked the small joint manipulation part of the match, and I think if they had of made it a part of Scurll trying to make an in-road into the match every time he needed to stem the momentum of Okada, then I would have probably liked it more. Instead, this felt like if Dean Malenko went toe to toe with HHH in 2001. 

Sorry for the ridiculously long post, and possibly some views that maybe won't be well received by some of you that loved the show. I hope that everyone that watched, enjoyed it or loved it and that everyone made a fucking boatload of cash. That's a win-win, and good for wrestling. 

Archived