An 'All In' Thread

MPDTT

Another thumbs up for the commentary team. Helpful without being too intrusive. The final match was the only one I couldn't be arsed with. Pentagon vs. Omega & Okada vs. Skurll were broadly on a par I would have said + the women's match was pretty enjoyable. A good job all round, with a few dud segments. I thought the NWA Title match was spoiled by 'he can't continue' & the run-ins & where did the blood come from?...unless I missed something. I presumed he'd bladed, but saw no blood the first time he surfaced. The guy carries himself like an absolute star, but I sometimes feel let down by his bell-to-bell.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, boyfriend said:

Echo the commentary love, if a little insider at times. The main chap was great!! Excalibur - while ok looked a fucking state in his poxy jacket, cheap mask and tshirt. Sort it out you knacker. Also I love Emma but keep her away from the desk in future. Lost and Painful (good 2000's tag team name that).

Bad take of the day. Bloody hell.

• Paid Members

The chemistry of a three man team has always been the host who keeps the action going, the analyst who has been in the ring and the smart arse who may put over the babyface, but at heart he'll always favour the heels and understand why they're being cunts. That is literally the only reason you have three men at the table. So each one brings something different. This is the first time in years (maybe as long ago as WCW), where there was actual thought put into the reason why you have a three man both.

It says a lot about the three of them, that when Don Callis popped out for a bit in the middle, it was in danger of falling apart and Excalibur had to desperately keep it on the tracks. The women and the Tiny Tim showing up for the Cody match really fucked the flow.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, KingofSports said:

Another thumbs up for the commentary team. Helpful without being too intrusive. The final match was the only one I couldn't be arsed with. Pentagon vs. Omega & Okada vs. Skurll were broadly on a par I would have said + the women's match was pretty enjoyable. A good job all round, with a few dud segments. I thought the NWA Title match was spoiled by 'he can't continue' & the run-ins & where did the blood come from?...unless I missed something. I presumed he'd bladed, but saw no blood the first time he surfaced. The guy carries himself like an absolute star, but I sometimes feel let down by his bell-to-bell.

Completely agree with this. That whole sequence where Cody was lying outside felt super awkward and completely unnecessary. Earl throwing up the dreaded, "X," only for the match to continue without explanation, Earl not counting Cody out at any point, and worst of all Cody being shown to have no blood on him whatsoever after the initial blow, only for his forehead to seemingly burst out of nowhere. I understand the theory behind it - Aldis clearly didn't have the in-ring chops to deliver a match that could match the incredible build, so every shortcut and smoke and mirrors trick was needed, but the execution here was a complete mess. I was fully expecting Earl, DDP and everyone else to try and tell Cody the match was over, perhaps start taking him to the back, only for Cody to rip himself free and insist he was going to continue. That seemed the logical pop. Or maybe Brandi goes to throw in the towel but DDP or Cody stops her. I dunno, just something heroic that gets a pop and pushes the narrative forward. As it was Cody just lay down outside for ages and DPP hit someone with a Diamond Cutter for reasons I don't understand, then the match just continued. So weird.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/9/4/17816326/all-in-cody-rhodes-young-bucks-nwa-wrestling

This is a super long read but I thought it was an excellent piece on the show. I particularly liked the discussion about how utterly brilliant that build up to the NWA Title match was. The author sums it up better than I ever could.

"On Saturday night, people felt things.

They wanted Cody Rhodes to win and they wanted Nick Aldis to lose and they wanted those things with an urgency that felt like it was ripped from an era long passed."

Spot on.

4 hours ago, boyfriend said:

Echo the commentary love, if a little insider at times. The main chap was great!! Excalibur - while ok looked a fucking state in his poxy jacket, cheap mask and tshirt. Sort it out you knacker. Also I love Emma but keep her away from the desk in future. Lost and Painful (good 2000's tag team name that).

The main bloke reminds me of Ranallo.

That cracked me up Accident Prone! Ok so maybe I was a bit harsh but yeh I just hate commentators not looking the part, especially when the production, tron and whole look of the show was so professional. Pop a shirt on mate.

The main chaps voice actually reminded me of Kevin Kelly oddly enough. Very natural and knowledgeable, kept the whole thing together. Sign him up and lob him on Smackdown instead of that prick who does it please. Don adds good colour, although him wanking himself over Omega can be tough. Here's hoping for Double or Nothing.

SCG Radio returns this week as we discuss the biggest independent wrestling show of all time - All In! A week removed from the hoopla and hyperbole of the moment, the crew takes to the Oaken Table to not only review the show, the performers and the totality of the night, but a wider look at what the show really means for professional wrestling, and the perspectives that need to be used going forward. A really fun show talking about an extremely unique event, check it out!

https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/download/xuy3c5/SCG_Radio_141_-_Dissecting_ALL_IN.mp3

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

SCG Radio returns this week as we discuss the biggest independent wrestling show of all time - All In! A week removed from the hoopla and hyperbole of the moment, the crew takes to the Oaken Table to not only review the show, the performers and the totality of the night, but a wider look at what the show really means for professional wrestling, and the perspectives that need to be used going forward. A really fun show talking about an extremely unique event, check it out!

https://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/download/xuy3c5/SCG_Radio_141_-_Dissecting_ALL_IN.mp3

Cant wait to listen to this.

P.S. Has wrestling changed yet?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Cracking show! As much as I am in the 'indy bubble' as to what wrestling I watch, I found myself agreeing with you lads more often than not, especially the points on the crowd letting a lot slide and putting on a facade for the Cody/Aldis encounter.

I do feel that All In was a celebration of sorts for non-WWE wrestling, and it was great seeing some of my faves get some big time attention. I see it as a unique event that, at least for me, is up there with One Night Stand '05 and Takeover:Brooklyn as a refreshing and unforgettable PPV that skewed expectations and gave something different.

I don't think it's a business changing event though considering they got to advertise on New Japan events and ROH programming, as well as having the ROH production team and staff behind them. On that subject, there is no way that ROH, with their current roster, could ever sell out MSG during a non-Mania month by themselves. Have you seen their current roster? There's a big reason why their last UK tour didn't fare so well. No one is paying to watch Silas Young, Punishment Martinez and Brian Milonas.

If All In was ran truly independently (i.e without the help of Joe Koff and NJPW), say by east cost-based Beyond Wrestling or PWG, and they filled a 10,000 venue by just putting together a killer card and paying out the ass for the best advertising and social media coverage, then that could be a sign that the business can change. But when it's the Bullet Clud, the second/third biggest wrestling company in North America and the biggest wrestling company in Japan promoting your show, it's not nearly as ground breaking as it could be.

• Paid Members

It sounds like it was a great show in places. I'm curious to see the Joey Ryan/penis druids thing but more from some kind of morbid curiosity than any legitimate interest. 

Archived