Outstanding Names

Gus Mears

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

.Dont'a Hightower is another particular favourite of mine from that area.

One of my favourite Bama players ever. Always liked Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, too. (Ha-Ha is a nickname, though - real given name is Ha’sean).

Several of the college football sites out there do annual ‘all-name’ teams. Recent favourites have been Illinois State OL Kobe Buffalomeat, New Mexico State WR Q’ Drennan, Maryland Safety Qwuantrezz Knight and best of all, this fella:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/lion-king-1.html

Edit: wonderous lists like this, with only incoming freshmen as a sample -

Edited by Statto
Lots of funny names.

Two footballing favourites of mine: Mustafa Tiryaki who bounces between the lower English and Turkish leagues, and Rameer Outlaw who used to pop up playing for Welsh sides.

I've also never forgotten an old Japanese player from the old CM01/02 days called Yoshiteru Yamashita.

• Paid Members

A few spring to mind for me. A lad in the year above me at secondary school was called Noel Gallagher and given that this was the mid 1990s he became cool at the time wherever he liked it or not. At university the was another guy on my course called Michael Hunt who insisted that we just call him Michael, which was fair enough. Another one was when I was looking at a team sheet for a Hurling match and noticed that one of the midfield players was called Christopher Cross. For him & Mr. Hunt their parents must have either a twisted sense of humour, or were drunk when they got the birth registered.

Further afield, there is a Seychelles sprinter called Gaylord Silly who's represented them at world cross country and indoor track events. Then you have German downhill skier Fanny Chmelar (the same one that made Bradley Walsh lose himself for several minutes on The Chase a few years back), also retired Nigeria soccer player Nwankwo Kanu who had a spell in England where everyone just referred to him by his surname.

If you extend this from people's names to place names I can squeeze out a few more from Ireland at least, Bastardstown being one and perhaps the most well known being Muff, just outside Derry city into the Republic. I doubt anything will beat Fucking in Austria tho.

• 2 weeks later...