Sign in to follow this  
Onyx2

Chippy Tea

An odd selection in the Lion household this evening. Only I wanted something with chips

20190911_195258.thumb.jpg.8983b758eb21d9eb16b035097165af79.jpg

Then there was 2 scallops, cod roe and curry sauce arranged thinly

20190911_195642.thumb.jpg.78b00bf11f8eed756b8381ddc3db259c.jpg

Our kid only wanted a large battered sausage a 2 scallops. The temptation to arrange them like this was completely uncontrollable 

20190911_195436.thumb.jpg.c91fd272291c235c7c8466438a93d61d.jpg

I've done that plenty of times, ordering scallops instead of chips, not arranging them into a cock and balls.

A couple of scallops in a batch make for a lovely greasy snack.

Two confessions possibly ruining my cred in here: I have never had a scallop (dont think I've ever seen them sold anywhere I've been) and I still dont know what cod roe is. 

4 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

A couple of scallops in a batch make for a lovely greasy snack.

Let's not start the bap, barm, cob, roll debate. Though I am sure 95% or higher would tell you that no one calls it a batch.

1 minute ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Two confessions possibly ruining my cred in here: I have never had a scallop (dont think I've ever seen them sold anywhere I've been) and I still dont know what cod roe is. 

Scallops are mash covered in batter. Basically smiley faces from the chippy. Cod roes is fish eggs, which are nice, but can be really salty.

Cod roe tastes very fishy. I like it but I couldn't have a lot of it. 

I do love a scallop. I generally prefer a scallop when they are frying new potatoes for the chips. New potatoes make shit chips. 

17 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Hmmmm.  I've never had a mash scallop. They've always been a large thick cut potato slice in batter.

The only ones I have ever had were like potato waffles without the holes in, in an oval shape.

A good scallop is a thing of beauty.  2 must be ordered.  One to eat on the way home, and another one to eat on the way home.

34 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's a battered potato slice, what's going on.

A battered potato slice? You mean a fritter?

6 minutes ago, ElCece said:

A battered potato slice? You mean a fritter?

No. It's a scallop.

I learnt the hard way not to ask for a Scallop Batch down in Port Talbot when I was around 17, they had no fucking idea what this weird long haired English guy was asking for.

I've had both versions, the mash version and the slice of potato version. They are both nice. 

A chippy that used to be near me that has now closed used to do what they called a Yorkshire fritter. Which was 2 slices of potato cut into a square with a square cut out of the middle. In the square in the middle was 2 folded to fit cheese slices. The whole thing was battered and fried. You would have the outer potato square enclosing a pool of molten cheese inside the crispy batter. I don't know what was inherently Yorkshire about it. It was nice though. 

7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

No. It's a scallop.

This is genuinely news to me. I always assumed a scallop was far more exotic