Chippy Tea

Onyx2

2 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Thinking about the old chippy on Nickson Road in Coventry reminded me of something I've never seen or heard of other than there.

For 50p they used to do a portion of "scrappies" which was a few scoops of the little scrap fried pieces of batter that had obviously broken off of anything in the fryer.

Probably equally suited to the #eatclean thread but they were excellent.

The chippy in the village I grew up in used to do them all the time. Mum would ask for a bag of 'crispy bits' and me and siblings would share them with our kids meals. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Are scraps a thing everywhere then? I've only ever seen them in Yorkshire chippies.

They were the protein portion of your dinner up here.

We called them scrapings. They were obviously free and every once in a while you’d strike gold with the odd rogue fish bite that made its way in. A portion of those with chips was lunch sorted for a quid while at school, and then go halves with your mate on a box of tabs with remaining dinner money.

It’s no wonder I frequent the health & fitness thread for tips every week.

My kids go mental if I forget to ask for scraps on the chips when we have a chippy tea.

A friend of ours once had to venture out of Yorkshire for her job, swung by a chippy and asked for scraps as part of her order and ended up being looked at like she was a full-blown weirdo as they genuinely thought she wanted bin scrapings with her meal. There needs to be a geographically arranged list of names folk call them to save further embarrassment.

• Paid Members
On 2/17/2020 at 10:47 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

We don’t have that problem in the south. Chip bits/scraps just get tossed in the bin.

another reason why nowhere south of Sheffield can do chips properly. 

Probably told the story earlier in the thread, but my family had lived in Jersey for years, and I'd never found a decent chippy. I'm sure the fish was great, but the chips were always rubbish. We moved to a new place, that happened to be round the corner from a chip shop we hadn't been to yet, and it was the only one I've found that did chips I actually like, and we got chippy tea from there quite often.

Several years later, my brother, his wife, and their kids are over, and my dad goes round to the chippy to get everyone's food. He comes back with honestly the biggest grin on his face that I have ever seen, because after some 15 years of living here, he'd found a chip shop that did scraps. It might have been the happiest day of his life.