Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've had this a couple of times lately but always forget to have a snap of it for our lovely thread.IMG_20200214_175859.thumb.jpg.cf989bc67dba77819f9c9736a34e6685.jpg

Seashell? Ā Theyā€™re looking for staff at the moment.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Nice. What pie?

Steak.

8 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Seashell? Ā Theyā€™re looking for staff at the moment.

It was indeed, they've been back on form for months now.

Had lunch at Chippy Doon The Lane just off Buchanan Street in Glasgow on Tuesday. Cod supper with mushy peas, bread & butter.Ā 

We had been a couple of times previously and it was brilliant however this time it was a big let down. The batter on the cod was crispy on the ourside but had a gluggy uncooked texture inside.

It also tasted more sweet that savoury leaving the cod seeming as though it were coated in a partially cooked donut.

Back to McMonagles where I'm still yet to have been let down with anything they do. Highly reccomended for anyone in and around Glasgow.

• Paid Members

Went to the Viking chippy in Cambridge last night. Had mushy pea fritters which were very nice. Batter was crispy and the mushy pea filling was a pleasent green colour and seasoned well. The chips and curry sauce were decent. The chips did go hard very quickly once they cooled and seemed to be a little overcooked. There were a lot of potato shards in amongst the chips. Which made for crispy and normal soft textural experiences. Ate the lot right out of the wrapper too. Forgot to take a picture.Ā 

Edited by BigJag

Thinking about the old chippy on Nickson Road in Coventry reminded me of something I've never seen or heard of other than there.

For 50p they used to do a portion of "scrappies" which was a few scoops of the little scrap fried pieces of batter that had obviously broken off of anything in the fryer.

Probably equally suited to the #eatclean thread but they were excellent.

• Paid Members

I think they're called scratchings or scraps in the East Midlands. Although I remember the odd customer asking for them. I've never been brave enough to do the same. I believe the chippys were banned from selling/giving them away. Probably because they would be extremely unhealthy.Ā 

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Thinking about the old chippy on Nickson Road in Coventry reminded me of something I've never seen or heard of other than there.

For 50p they used to do a portion of "scrappies" which was a few scoops of the little scrap fried pieces of batter that had obviously broken off of anything in the fryer.

They call them 'batters' around here. Nobody charges 50p here either, just ask for some batters and they're thrown in free of charge.

2 hours ago, Jonny Vegas said:

The chippy in the village I grew up in used to do them all the time. Mum would ask for a bag of 'crispy bits' and me and siblings would share them with our kids meals.Ā