Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

I don’t get penta and fenix. Hear a lot online and podcasts about how aew haven’t done enough with them, but bar the super spotty multi mans I don’t see much in either of them to add more to the company 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Louch said:

I don’t get penta and fenix. Hear a lot online and podcasts about how aew haven’t done enough with them, but bar the super spotty multi mans I don’t see much in either of them to add more to the company 

It largely comes from how good both were in singles back in Lucha Underground. Don't know if it's the different environment or working exclusively tags but it's brought out the worst habits in each other.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Louch said:

Fenix is a great babyface singles wrestler when given the chance and especially if he's against a strong heel and can sell his arse off. 

Penta can be an incredibly fun arsehole heel but really, really needs to be booked right. He can have a good match but he picked up a lot of bad habits on the US indie scene. He's great when he can just be a vicious bastard, beat people up and show off his character and charisma but in a typical one on one will just do nothing but spot monkey shit. He definitely has a unique and special aura to him that is being wasted at the moment. His run in Lucha Underground was absolutely immense because he was booked properly.

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Fenix is a great babyface singles wrestler when given the chance and especially if he's against a strong heel and can sell his arse off. 

Penta can be an incredibly fun arsehole heel but really, really needs to be booked right. He can have a good match but he picked up a lot of bad habits on the US indie scene. He's great when he can just be a vicious bastard, beat people up and show off his character and charisma but in a typical one on one will just do nothing but spot monkey shit. He definitely has a unique and special aura to him that is being wasted at the moment. His run in Lucha Underground was absolutely immense because he was booked properly.

I think that part around the indies is spot on. They wrestle to me like they are in doing a headline slot at an Indy doing the greatest hits,when we have seen both their acts dozens of times now and don’t need it every match. 

• Paid Members

I genuinely thought that both were heading straight to the top and would wow people on a bigger stage, so it seems odd to see them meandering a bit.

(That said, an ‘arm breaker’ gimmick is a bit silly in wrestling when clearly no one’s going to sell it properly anyway).

Mind you, could say the same about Santana and Ortiz.

They were great with Konnan in LAX, which in fairness is a tough gig when you’re trying to be the ‘new’ anything. But honestly, must say that I thought they’d go further than they have in AEW so far.

Don’t think their current act/gimmick is a patch on their Impact run, which hurts them a bit.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Jesse said:

It largely comes from how good both were in singles back in Lucha Underground. Don't know if it's the different environment or working exclusively tags but it's brought out the worst habits in each other.

Tag matches absolutely bring out the worst instincts in both men, and that's only become more apparent to me as I'm doing a Lucha Underground rewatch at the moment.

Fenix has some of the best timing and positioning I've ever seen, and is capable of some insane high spots, and that's the sort of highlight reel stuff that makes you notice him. But underpinning all that is that he's phenomenal at selling a beatdown and garnering sympathy, just fantastic body language and a real connection with the audience. Pentagon, meanwhile, is at his best when his role is to slow the pace of a match right down and just be a vicious prick, with only the odd burst of energy to show how dangerous he is. The way they work tag matches doesn't allow either of those positives to shine through, because they're working too fast and frantic to allow Penta to build heat or Fenix to garner sympathy.

I like them but I had seen zero squat of them before AEW. Don't get the obsessive need some people have to split them and put them into singles when you have so much at the moment. 

Anyway I like Penta, if you look good as an action figure, as they say. Fenix absolutely terrifies me at times. 

25 minutes ago, Chili said:

I like them but I had seen zero squat of them before AEW. Don't get the obsessive need some people have to split them and put them into singles when you have so much at the moment. 

I think people have pretty much summed it up above - but a lot of their pre-AEW fans (myself included) just know that they're capable of far greater things than they've been able to do in AEW. And in order to achieve that, the general belief is that they're much much better as singles stars on opposing sides. 

I get what you're saying. There is a LOT going on in AEW, and at least they're doing something at the moment, but when you know you're not watching the best version of someone it's hard not to wish for more.