Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Anything he did with Triple H in that time was awful bar the Summerslam comeback match. The 'feud' and the DX stuff was utter tosh.

You know what? I think that was a tale of two parts. Their "big" matches were awful. The triple threat theatre at Armageddon 2002 and last man standing match at Rumble 04 were both interminably boring and the Hell In A Cell match, I believe, is still going on.

HOWEVER, their title match at Taboo Tuesday after the actual feud was finished is a compelling piece of work, if uncomfortable to watch, as they decide the best way to work a match around Shawn's injured leg is for Hunter to work the leg. It's a much better wrestling match than any of the shortcut stuff. And prior to that, the title match on Raw which precipitate their second title feud going into 2004, was probably their best match, if you ignore the awful finish ;

I think Michaels retired too early.  I mean, I totally understand why he retired as an active wrestler, whilst he still had his health and could watch his son grow up, but he probably could have done a couple of matches a year and still be wrestling now, at 58.  He'd already adapted his style to an ageing body and was able to pop up on a random Saudi event looking the best of the 4 competitors (not saying much I know).

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

I think Michaels retired too early.  I mean, I totally understand why he retired as an active wrestler, whilst he stilsl had his health and could watch his son grow up, but he probably could have done a couple of matches a year and still be wrestling now, at 58.  He'd already adapted his style to an ageing body and was able to pop up on a random Saudi event looking the best of the 4 competitors (not saying much I know).

He'd have worked Nexus I'm sure. Plenty of opportunity for Shawn to sell a beatdown and make them look good. It'd have been melodramatic though. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, air_raid said:

The thing with Flair in his prime is any one match in isolation is very good but as a body of work most of his matches were incredibly samey. There weren’t enough times that he had to go out of his comfort zone and structure the match differently - the Funk rivalry of 89 is a good example of when he did. It’s funny, so many people (including Flair) criticise Bret for having the same match over and over because he had “six moves of doom” he liked to do, but in terms of being a “formula man” Flair was far worse. Go back and watch Brets first four singles matches on Big 4 PPVs in the WWF against Perfect, Piper, Bulldog and Shawn, they each have completely different structure and tell very different stories. When I think of Flairs rigidity, I think of how he put Sting over for the belt at Great American Bash 90, and how they couldn’t even be arsed to do a different finish to how Sting pinned him at Starrcade just months earlier. Much as many fans thought his WWE return wasn’t vintage Flair, at least he did matches that markedly different to the rest, thinking about his violent matches with Mick Foley or a personal favourite when he wrestled Kurt on Raw and each seemed obsessed with being the better at cheating.

I don’t think a lot of wrestling fans to our level of fandom rate him as a worker. I think his level of reverence is inflated by (a) company rhetoric and (b) millions of Facefuck and Twatter casuals hanging comments off posts by wrestling accounts proclaiming him “the best ever” - he was their favourite character when they were watching growing up (and I have a few mates who never grew out of that), they’ve spent so many years asking “Is Undertaker still going” to hear that he was, that the combination of their favourite + longevity must make him “the best ever.” Even though most of them haven’t watched it since Austin was stunning Pat and Gerry every week.

Yeah solid points. I just assumed Taker was revered as a legend & a great worker, when IMO he was just very lucky with his gimmick and his opponents and tenure. 

• Paid Members

As regards HBK matches, I thought his match with Jericho at WM19 was superb, and the WMXX Triple Threat was excellent as well, even with the original [REDACTED]'s win being tarnished in hindsight.

Possibly my favourite is the second DX return's match at Summerslam 2009 against Legacy. Just a classic tag match that has everything a non-gimmicked match should. Their subsequent two matches at Breaking Point and HIAC got more plaudits, and they are superb, but I think the first one just hit all the boxes for me.

I said it at the time when I was recommending it to @HarmonicGenerator for his "Summerslam Match A Day" review thread, that I used to disagree with Jim Cornette's assertion that a simple tag match was the best form a wrestling match could take, but, after seeing that particular match, I wasn't so sure any more.

Edited by Carbomb

I agree with Corny, unusually.

Some of the most fun matches the WWE have out on are those Raw tag main events where you have two big faces, two big heels and a finisher spam fest.

I’m thinking ones like Rock and Austin v nWo(handicap), or DX versus whoever.  Often throwaway matchups that are just so energetic.  They get forgotten because they’re just a cog in a wheel but at the time they’re ace.