Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Well it's not no, but then I don't think the action in the ring is the only criteria by which we should measure "good wrestling" so by taking away one of the most important elements, sure it loses something.

For a great example of layers making a great match, look at Austin vs Hart WM13.

It helps that the action in and out of the ring is incredible but what elevates it to greatest ever status is the action AND the crowd AND the commentary AND Shamrock AND the blood AND the story that had preceded it, showing that its not just the action in the ring that matters.

Hogan vs Rock is an incredible wrestling match, and the crowd is mostly responsible for that IMO.

It's something I didn't really get before. The punk v Kingston match  is a good example.It got very good reviews. I never really got that before. The story behind it, the intensity of the match is what made it great I get that now. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Hogan vs Rock is an incredible wrestling match, and the crowd is mostly responsible for that IMO.

True, but in turn Hogan and Rock are responsible for the crowd. They're only into it because of those guys, their history, their charisma, their experience. I get that there are good and bad crowds, but I think there wouldn't have been an audience in the Western world that wasn't going to go banana for that match. 

Edited by gmoney

9 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

AND the story that came out of it, the double turn was best ever done.

Its all just absolute genius. I love that every time I watch it I find new things that I like.

Last time was just how good all 3x are on commentary and how they add to it all.

I've never been a fan of any of them really, but they all play an absolute blinder for that bout.

"Hit that drunk in the jacket!!!" 

Edit: yep @gmoney sorry I didn't make that clear. The crowd are great BECAUSE of those two.

Edited by SuperBacon
If you smell

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, JLM said:

One for the ladies up next, it’s Geoff vs Colin in a down to yer skivvies match. 

2 hours ago, JLM said:

C99DE9F4-5CA2-4EF6-80A8-D5C8EB02DF4A.jpeg.5f52d0fd813fb6c605a1195dc5787e4e.jpeg

I see what you did there.

• Paid Members

To add to what's been said, it's a great match because it needed people of the level that Rock and Hogan were operating at to make full use of the good will that the crowd were giving them. Less skilled or experienced workers might have tried to do too much or pace it too fast, rather than letting the action "breathe" like they did.

Also, the decision for Rock to work heel, despite having been the face who Hogan beat down and hit with a truck, took a level of professional insight to utilise what was in front of them, and not just stick to a plan, that others might simply not have had. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, no user name said:

If anyone has a link to austin v Hart and okada v omega 3 I'd appreciate it. Generally regarded as the two best matches ever and I've not seen either 

You might want to specify here because I believe you actually want the 2/3 falls title match, which was their 4th big match, going in tied on 1-1-1.

Not sure if this'll be unpopular or not, but this whole "finish your story" obsession is getting a bit cringey for me. 

Think Cody and Punk have worked themselves into a shoot with it whereby they honestly believe the make-believe world of wrestling owes them 1.) a main event at Mania where they 2.) go over for the belt. 

5 minutes ago, IronSheik said:

Not sure if this'll be unpopular or not, but this whole "finish your story" obsession is getting a bit cringey for me. 

Think Cody and Punk have worked themselves into a shoot with it whereby they honestly believe the make-believe world of wrestling owes them 1.) a main event at Mania where they 2.) go over for the belt. 

Or perhaps they're just aware that telling a logical story with a logical finish is better than building to something that doesn't happen, loses the faith of the fans, and leaves you without a solid plan going forward.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, IronSheik said:

That's not unpopular. Cody himself said he regrets saying it in the post Rumble presser. Everyone's saying it now and it's become shit.

6 minutes ago, IronSheik said:

In regards to either, it's not just them though, is it? Cody's over enough and popular enough to be the top babyface and champion. I don't know if he's done any "shooting" in respect to what he's "owed" or anything like that, compared to what he says in character on telly or the carefully thought out replies in the pseudo-shoot world of press conferences. That's an odd take. If he's taken getting Jumanji'd out of his spot with the apparent grace that is being reported, I think you're wildly off the mark. He's a model pro.

In terms of Punk, he believed he should have been main event with John Cena at Mania 27 because he thought it should be the best good guy vs the best bad guy, and that he, not Miz, was the best bad guy. Many people think he was right. Then two years later he believed that after such a lengthy title reign, he should have factored into the title match at Mania 29 (as was originally the plan according to The Rock) instead of being put to one side in favour of Rock vs Cena and given the consolation prize of losing to Taker. Guess what? Many people think he was right about that too.

Also.... has he ever actually said he should have won either of those main events, or just that he should have been in them? I think as "the bad guy" either time and what a traditionalist he espouses to be (one of his many idiosyncrasies, admittedly), I don't think he'd be bothered about losing the main event, as long as he was in it. That's his hang-up.

• Paid Members
On 2/2/2024 at 5:11 PM, no user name said:

This is not actually my opinion I'd have to rewatch the match. But I have heard it suggested that if you take away the crowd at the rock v hogan match it's not a great match. Although the crowd do pay a big part in a lot of matches so that could be true of many matches 

I remember I watched it with some friends the day after and I couldn't get into it. Rock did great playing the heel in light of how the crows reacted to Hogan, but the match didn't do it for me. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Speaking of that era of Hogan, his match with [Redacted] the 'Mania after was even better, I'd even go as far as saying it was the best match on the card among some truly great bangers.

Ooooh, bold. I thought I was brave preferring Rock vs Austin III to the perverts' favourite, HBK vs Y2J. I actually prefer Rock vs Austin from 19 to any other match they had with each other, on top of any other match from that Mania. And possibly several years' worth of Manias to that point.