Wrestling unpopular opinions

Jacko

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Who are these people that are ignoring Riddle being an abuser? Here? I've seen it mentioned a bunch.

Just look at the Raw thread. People enjoy RKBro but no one calls out that Riddle had a lawsuit against him, which was dropped after allegedly reaching an agreement. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

An accusation made last year. He was only publicly named this year, but it was investigated last year. He was cleared by AEW based on texts and DM’s he shared with them. No lawsuits or legal action has taken place. Riddle had a lawsuit but everyone seems to ignore that now, so where do we draw the line?

What has the timing got to do with it? Absolutely nothing. Unless you're suggesting something untoward was behind Hawlee Cromwell's accusations.

My point is that the level of certain people caring about this sort of thing is entirely dependent on just how palatable they find the accused in other ways. If it was made against someone who isn't a cult AEW favourite about to embark on a match with a returning hero and managed (?) by Sting, then certain people would care a lot more.

9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Just look at the Raw thread. People enjoy RKBro but no one calls out that Riddle had a lawsuit against him, which was dropped after allegedly reaching an agreement. 

I’ve gone back a few pages in that and all I can see is Davidnumbers and you talking about how you think he is shit. Whenever I’ve seen him mentioned, him being a prick is always a part of it. Absolutely nobody has forgotten, or at least nobody who was concerned by it. 

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What has the timing got to do with it? Absolutely nothing. Unless you're suggesting something untoward was behind Hawlee Cromwell's accusations.

My point is that the level of certain people caring about this sort of thing is entirely dependent on just how palatable they find the accused in other ways. If it was made against someone who isn't a cult AEW favourite about to embark on a match with a returning hero and managed (?) by Sting, then certain people would care a lot more.

Bob Holly Rule. It really is Liverpool and Suarez, isn’t it? WWE fans get pelters for blind tribalism but this is exactly it too. It ranges from “He’s one of ours so he’s innocent” to WWE whataboutery. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

An accusation made last year. He was only publicly named this year, but it was investigated last year. He was cleared by AEW based on texts and DM’s he shared with them. No lawsuits or legal action has taken place. Riddle had a lawsuit but everyone seems to ignore that now, so where do we draw the line?

Velveteen Dream was also internally investigated and found to be innocent. I don't think taking a wrestling companies word for it counts as someone being innocent. 

I was dumbfounded when so many people heaped praise on that Young Bucks vs Hangman Page & Kenny Omega match at AEW Revolution 2020.

I love tag team wrestling, specifically things like distracting the referee in order to do a double team, having the crowd get behind a guy being beat down so he can make a hot tag, using the 5 count to your advantage, etc.

But that match had none of that, it was just four very talented wrestlers taking it in turns to do high spots one after the other until all four had hit all of their signature moves/spots.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Hawlee Cromwells original allegation was made towards the start of Speaking Out. Her publicly naming him were before a high profile match. 

@Nick James yeah,  that entirely hinges on your level of said individual. No one was sad Jimmy Havoc got the sack for example from AEW. Velveteen Dream also had some arrest warrants under his name for other violations, much easier to decide to bin off. Personally I have to consider the accusations made against the individual and decide. For example, being in a toxic relationship isn’t the same as being accused of physically making someone perform sexual acts, which is why I went from someone who really enjoyed watching Riddle to someone hating him. If we all only watched wrestling companies with wrestlers who have never been accused of wrong doings or only supported individuals who have never been accused of wrongdoing, we’d have to pretty much stop watching.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, dopper said:

I was dumbfounded when so many people heaped praise on

46 minutes ago, dopper said:

wrestlers taking it in turns to do high spots one after the other until all four had hit all of their signature moves/spots.

To be honest I think (or it feels to me anyway) that's all it takes in some quarters. I know it seems like a lazy jab but there does seem a very vocal section of fans out on the interweb who sing from the rooftops great athleticism as a great match. I'm sure they've always been there, it's just more a part of the mainstream products these days compared to the early or mid 2000s when it was being squirreled away on indies. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Hawlee Cromwells original allegation was made towards the start of Speaking Out. Her publicly naming him were before a high profile match. 

So what? What does that tell you?

1 hour ago, dopper said:

But that match had none of that, it was just four very talented wrestlers taking it in turns to do high spots one after the other until all four had hit all of their signature moves/spots.

If that's what you thought of Bucks vs Omega and Page then you'd have an aneurysm over some of their older stuff.

10 hours ago, Supremo said:

Darby Allin has the best suicide dive in the history of the sport. Looks like he puts every ounce of energy into it, with zero regard for his own safety, to hit his opponent as fast and as hard as possible, with whatever body part gravity determines to hit first. Everyone else should just stop doing it. They’re all weak as piss compared to Darby.

I think that’s why I can’t fully warm to him. He makes me feel uncomfortable seeing him put his body on the line. Like seeing an old unprotected chair shot. 

15 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If we all only watched wrestling companies with wrestlers who have never been accused of wrong doings or only supported individuals who have never been accused of wrongdoing, we’d have to pretty much stop watching.

And?