Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Disagree about Dylan and Electric Folk, I'd say other artists who had covered his songs with electric guitars influenced him to give it a shot.  Dylan isn't really that influential, he was the next step in the road from Guthrie to Rambling Jack Elliott.  Dylan was great for a time but he wasn't a game changer.

EDIT - @Lion_of_the_Midlands He is now, but Pete Waterman was doing it first, that's why I mentioned SAW as being influential and game changing.

There is quite a bit of overlap between Cowell's earlier years and SAW. Waterman and co only influenced pop music. Cowell has also influenced music for old people, see Boyle and Potts for example. At the end of the day SAW made £60 million worldwide, Cowell is worth about £400 million, and while money isn't a way of keeping score, Cowell's influence has become all pervasive in a way that Waterman's never did. 

Oh I totally agree, he is the Christ to Watermans John The Baptist, if you will.  I also think there is more honesty in Cowell than in a lot of musicians, he is a wolf in wolfs clothing.  I'd say money is the perfect way to keep score as that's what his output is about, he makes a commodity, not art.

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

You can't have a musical influence discussion without mentioning the impact Ed Sheeran has had on black music.

Not unlike Eric Clapton taking credit for the popularity of reggae in his autobiography? 

(I seem to remember him claiming all the Beatles’ best stuff was actually him as well. I gave up on the book quite quickly after that.)

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Totally agree. Love a Whopper and I really like their chips. McDonalds looks, feels and tastes like it’s not real food - like the plastic food that comes with an infant’s toy kitchen heated up.

MCDonalds' Big Tasty shits on anything Burger King has ever produced. 

• Paid Members

Everyone always seems to forget the massive influence of Lonnie Donegan on, in particular, the UK music industry.

Without skiffle and Donegan being the king of skiffle bands like The Beatles and Led Zep may never have existed.

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

This, 100%.

Also gives me an excuse to post this fabulous bit of gold;

I can't tell if I like Stewart Lee or not. He's brilliantly funny at times but some of his material is utter dross. That bit he did about a cat called Jeremy Corbyn taking a shit on a Union Jack is one of the worst bits of comedy I've had the misfortune of watching.