Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The Beatles are not the most influential band of the last 100 years.

10 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

Who are then?

This is interesting as it brings up the distinction of popularity vs influence. Whilst The Beatles were absolutely fucking massive in terms of mainstream success and worldwide appeal, it can be argued that someone like David Bowie had more actual influence on bands/artists. Bowie is probably not the best example for this considering he was also incredibly popular during his heyday, but it's one that most people can grasp.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

Yeah, I agree with that. I don't think that Manc artists have to stray away from their sound completely, but Madchester sound wasn't all indie. In house and dance music it still had a distinct loose feel to it that sounded Manchester - I was thinking this recently when I heard an M People song on the radio.

M People were a pop group, their sound didn't really have much connection to the Madchester sound. They were just generic dance pop.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Despite Freddie being possibly the best frontman of all time, Queen were shit and there isn't a more overrated song than Bohemian Rhapsody. 

I think Queen are awesome. Bohemian Rhapsody is definitely overplayed and I never need to hear it again and I think we are the champions and we will rock you are rubbish but considering they were such a huge band they took a lot of risks with changing styles and they stayed on top and had an incredible amount of hits during a period where music changed loads. Brian May's songs are the ones that tend to be a bit bland but they have a lot of interesting stuff in their back catalogue, at the height of their popularity Freddie insisted they recorded a "gay disco album" with barely any guitars on it so they can't be accused of not taking risks. Also they did the music for two classic 80s Sci-fi action films which is pretty cool.

They released a successful album (Innuendo) 5 years after they stopped playing live, Freddie Mercury was secretly on deaths door while they recorded it and it's full of really tragic references to what he's going through that people didn't fully understand until after he died. I think that's a pretty powerful thing for such a big band to do and Freddie was incredibly brave and dignified at the end. 

I'm loving reading about where the best music comes from in this thread, it's nice to be reminded how much great music comes from all over this country and how proud people are of it. UB40 suck though.

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle

21 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Says the "No.1 Cool Kid" who then gets the upvotes off his toady mates! 

You lot hunt in packs around here, i find it hard to read at times. Those down votes were the worst thing ever! Just blasting people out of the water for no good reason, half of the time. Shameless petty little cunts (is that a more unpopular opinion for you?).

It's one of the reasons i come here. So easy to trigger someone then watch their boyfriends join in.

42 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

M People were a pop group, their sound didn't really have much connection to the Madchester sound. They were just generic dance pop.

I guess it could be coincidence of course that I guessed they were from Manchester but I put it more down to the loose beats - like how you had loose beats in something like Fools Gold.

As for the influence thing, Bowie was incredibly influential and challenges The Beatles there. But I still think The Beatles were more influential.

Before The Beatles there were a lot of rock n roll songs in popular music that were predictable because they followed blues chord progressions. Even in the early days of The Beatles, they were throwing different chords into the mix. If you take From Me To You, it's a pretty complex song whilst sounding effortless and accessible - and that was a big part of their appeal.

Three years later, Revolver came out and completely changed the game. They used the studio like no one before for Tomorrow Never Knows - I can't imagine how mad it would have been to hear it for the first time at the time. Lennon's voice was put through a Leslie cabinet and they reversed sounds and spliced those samples live into the song. I won't pretend I know too much about music theory but I know that the composition of Eleanor Rigby was unconventional too.

From Sgt. Pepper's and beyond there's loads of studio innovations which influenced all sorts of music. They laid the groundwork to how songs could be recorded. And that's just the studio and composition side - that's not taking into account fashion, Beatlesmania, their music being traded on the black market in communist countries and helping form a counterculture, and the hippy movement in general amongst other things I'm surely forgetting.

Edited by Sphinx

1 minute ago, Sphinx said:

Nah, I don't know about that. It could be coincidence of course that I guessed they were from Manchester but I definitely put it more down to the loose beats - like how you had loose beats in something like Fools Gold.

Mike Pickering of M People was one of the main DJs at The Hacienda so there is that link.  However, they could have been L People and still released the same generic pop in my opinion.  I worked for a high street record shop in the early 90s and I think one of my reasons for hating M People, aside for the awfulness of their music, was reps were pushing "How Can I Love You More" seemingly every 2 months.  I once asked "Can't they just accept their shit song isn't going to be a hit" and the rep and store manager looked horrified.  There was clearly some agenda, bar selling records, to make M People a success by the industry.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Mike Pickering of M People was one of the main DJs at The Hacienda so there is that link.  However, they could have been L People and still released the same generic pop in my opinion.  I worked for a high street record shop in the early 90s and I think one of my reasons for hating M People, aside for the awfulness of their music, was reps were pushing "How Can I Love You More" seemingly every 2 months.  I once asked "Can't they just accept their shit song isn't going to be a hit" and the rep and store manager looked horrified.  There was clearly some agenda, bar selling records, to make M People a success by the industry.

Record Hyping, I imagine. Nice little earner for the store manager. There's an interesting World in Action about the practise on youtube.

Just now, PowerButchi said:

Record Hyping, I imagine. Nice little earner for the store manager. There's an interesting World in Action about the practise on youtube.

Is that the one where Roger Cook tried to get Edwina Currie's daughter a hit?  Fucking hell, I even remember the name of the band and the song.  Mojams - You Could Do Magic.

I still fucking hate M People and that fucking song though.  DJ Shovel is a big Arsenal fan as well if you hadn't guessed. The prick.

• Paid Members

For other influential artists, I guess cases could be made for Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Michael Jackson, Carole King, Fleetwood Mac, Woodie Guthrie, Aretha Franklin, Leonard Cohen, Janis Joplin, The Four Seasons, Ray Charles, and a host of others.

That said, whilst I'm not a fan of The Beatles, I'd say it'd be hard to argue that any of those were significantly more influential. Certainly I would argue for Bowie, Jackson, King, Presley and Dylan, maybe even Guthrie.