Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

I assume that's in reference to Simply Red. I may have slipped and assumed they all came from Manchester.

No, I mean the assertion that Manchester has the best music history. Given their music outputs, I'd have thought Brummies and Scousers would have something to say about that.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

His only good film is Dunkirk. The rest are pointless to shit.

Even that was overrated. Even paid for Dolby Cinema as was told see it on the best screen. The sound was well done, but I didn’t give a shit about any of the characters. I honestly went in thinking this would be a masterpiece, and it was just a 3 timeline gimmick. Like momento but in WW2

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

No, I mean the assertion that Manchester has the best music history. Given their music outputs, I'd have thought Brummies and Scousers would have something to say about that.

Why Brummies? Scousers, fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I'd imagine there's a large enough proportion of the UK that agrees with it to not make it that unpopular an opinion though. From what I know, Birmingham doesn't come close.

I always associate Brummie music history with metal and never hear the city's output lauded outside of that.

Black Sabbath, Naplam Death and Godflesh are all pioneers within their own sub-genres of metal but compared to a Liverpool or Manchester they'd not have had as big an impact on music in general, Sabbath maybe but that's one band.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Birmingham's not just metal, though (although you missed out Judas Priest) - Led Zeppelin, Duran Duran, The Moody Blues, ELO, Ocean Colour Scene and Fine Young Cannibals are the ones that I can name off the top of my head, in addition to Sabbath, mentioned above. Didn't know Napalm Death and Godflesh were from Brum, though.

EDIT: A quick Google also says The Streets, UB40, Wizzard, and Traffic are also from there too.

Edited by Carbomb

Just now, Carbomb said:

Birmingham's not just metal, though (although you missed out Judas Priest) - Led Zeppelin, Duran Duran, The Moody Blues, ELO, Ocean Colour Scene and Fine Young Cannibals are the ones that I can name off the top of my head, in addition to Sabbath, mentioned above. Didn't know Napalm Death and Godflesh were from Brum, though.

There's now a bounty on your head in West Brom.

• Paid Members
Just now, Merzbow said:

There's now a bounty on your head in West Brom.

Well, if someone wants to travel south for £4.75, that's their business.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Birmingham's not just metal, though (although you missed out Judas Priest) - Led Zeppelin, Duran Duran, The Moody Blues, ELO, Ocean Colour Scene

giphy.gif

• Paid Members

I thought you might! I'm not saying I think they were good, though. Used to hear that damn Riverboat Song nearly everywhere once TFI Friday popularised it. I thought they were pretty generic "indie" guitar rock that people only claimed to like because of the fashion at the time. Found them quite boring. "The Day We Caught The Train" is alright, but everything else is a big pile of "meh" for me. 

However, I think it would be fair to say they were pretty big in their time, no?

• Paid Members

Pato Banton was from Birmingham. That's a gamechanger if there ever was one.

Edit: I mean, obviously London wins this hands down, but it's hardly a level playing field with the massive population they have. You're likely to have more of everything- politicians, movie stars, criminals, students, wankers...

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I thought you might! I'm not saying I think they were good, though. Used to hear that damn Riverboat Song nearly everywhere once TFI Friday popularised it. I thought they were pretty generic "indie" guitar rock that people only claimed to like because of the fashion at the time. Found them quite boring. "The Day We Caught The Train" is alright, but everything else is a big pile of "meh" for me. 

However, I think it would be fair to say they were pretty big in their time, no?

But if we're talking about musical legacy then exactly what legacy have they left behind?