Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

I think that's more factual than opinion-based to be honest, Lips. They only had one hit before Ian Curtis died and their second (and only other) hit was 8 years after his death. So yeah, one-hit wonder isn't a push. I really do like their stuff, though.

• Paid Members

Joy Division were highly regarded before his death. Obviously his death brought more eyes and ears on the band but it wasn't as if Ian Curtis hanging himself took them from nobody having heard of them to massive.

Ā 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

I never got the vibe of a fanbase of racists when i saw him perform.Ā No nasty undercurrent or anything, just people coming out to have a laugh (at everybody & everything).

Easy to laugh at something when the joke's not on you though, isn't it.

4 hours ago, chokeout said:

Dr Who is terrible and it's fans forgive / ignore all manner of shitty writing and shortcuts

You're aware this is a wrestling forum, right?

• Paid Members
Just now, Uncle Zeb said:

You're aware this is a wrestling forum, right?

Haha. Wrestling fans love nothing more than pointing out how bad the product is, then continuing to watch.Ā 

Dr Who seems to have a special breed of fan that will add non existent layers to paper thin plots and defend the show as a rich tapestry of inter woven storylines, spanning decades.Ā 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Lord-Mountevans said:

Yeah but if you were in his audience, you were also fair game. So the joke could well have been on you.

Especially if you weren't white.

There's an excellent book calledĀ Fairness, Class and Belonging in Contemporary England that I read a while back that has a good case study of this.

EDIT - Actually, found it online - from page 136 onwards.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-RFeAQAAQBAJ&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq=bernard+manning+audience&source=bl&ots=PVr4wRucpC&sig=PYiCe5YXlyCCYZGj0wjXyhMfpjA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMwNjDscDcAhVJa8AKHZB5D2M4ChDoATAIegQIBxAB#v=onepage&q=bernard manning audience&f=false

Edited by Devon Malcolm