Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

25 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The Smiths were always a shit band, How Soon is Now aside, and Morissey has always been a tosser

Such utter, utter bollocks. They were a great band. Even if you don't like that sort of music, you can't say they were a shit band. Great drummer, great bassist, incredible and unique guitarist. How Soon Is Now is one of their worst songs. But yes, Morissey is unfortunately an arsehole.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Such utter, utter bollocks. They were a great band. Even if you don't like that sort of music, you can't say they were a shit band. Great drummer, great bassist, incredible and unique guitarist. How Soon Is Now is one of their worst songs. But yes, Morissey is unfortunately an arsehole.

I love “indie” music but his vocals always grate and so the excellence of anything associated is dragged down. Also see, Coldplay.

unpopular opinion, Coldplay are a great band

Bowies influence has likely seeped in to further reaching musical circles than anyone else, I see him being named by the most mainstream of artists to obscure blackened sludge metal bands and everything inbetween.

I find it hard to really have an opinion on Coldplay either way, they're just there making ok music that doesn't elicit an extreme reaction.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Merzbow said:

Bowies influence has likely seeped in to further reaching musical circles than anyone else, I see him being named by the most mainstream of artists to obscure blackened sludge metal bands and everything inbetween.

It's exactly this reason why I was so irrationally pissed at my local rock joint for not putting up a photo of Bowie on their Rock Hall Of Fame mural that goes around the bar. I argued my case with the owner to no avail. Yet the fucker added a framed photo of fucking No Doubt to the wall under the guise that they've had more influence on the metal/rock/punk seen than David fucking Bowie? Get fucked.

Also, I agree that Coldplay are absolute garbage and everyone who likes them should really know better. 

40 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That's not an unpopular opinion. Coldplay have always been fucking great. Only absolute snobs say otherwise. Parachutes is better than anything 99% of bands could ever dream of writing.

Bring back down voting, you cowards. This deserves every little red arrow known to man.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

1 hour ago, Sphinx said:

Is that an unpopular opinion? I always thought it was one of their best, not that I'm massively familiar with their songs.

Yeah, I'd say that must be an unpopular opinion. I'm a massive fan of The Smiths' music and How Soon Is Now? is not only my favourite song of theirs but one of my favourite songs of all time. It does have a different feel to most of their stuff though, so could understand fans being split over it.

Morrissey being a knob I think we can all agree on though. 

You bunch of Smiths amateurs.  I sneer at you in a condescending manner.  Anyone worth their salt knows Golden Lights was the worst moment in Smiths history.

Also, stop confusing being a great artist with influence and legacy.  Honestly, that list Bombcar posted? A case can be made for them being as influential as The Beatles, Kraftwerk or Moroder?  Stock Aitken and Waterman are more influential on modern music than Janis Joplin.

• Moderators

And, S.A.W. gave us this fucking banger.

EDIT: Upon looking up the birthplaces of The Hit Factory, AItken and Waterman are from Cov. So Cov > Birmingham in music. Congrats Keith!

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I find it hard to really have an opinion on Coldplay either way, they're just there making ok music that doesn't elicit an extreme reaction. 

Their utter bland mediocrity is their terrible crime, and the common link between them and Jay-Z. I'd sooner listen to Reh Dogg or Rebecca Black any day.

They put the turd in turgid.

Edited by Chest Rockwell