Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

• Moderators

Tbf it was better writing than the tv show by far. I liked that first one. The writing was good enough that it made your decisions feel impactful. It soon became apparent though, that you don't really have much determination in what it's actually a pretty linear story in these games, which obviously kills it.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

The Last Of Us, and Naughty Dog in general are massively over-rated.

While I don't agree I can understand someone thinking that. The games have amazing story and production and look incredible but the gameplay itself can be repetitive and somewhat uninspired.

8 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Doesn't the game completely ignore the TV show and loosely follows the comic instead?

The show did have an action game but it's one of the worst of the last gen.

Also, Life is Strange pisses on anything by Telltale.

They’ve got another game (a 3rd person shooter) coming out in November. They’ve released some very fancy trailers, but very little of any game footage which doesn’t fill me with much hope

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

While I don't agree I can understand someone thinking that. The games have amazing story and production and look incredible but the gameplay itself can be repetitive and somewhat uninspired.

Exactly this. TLOU is a really polished mediocre stealth game.

Uncharted is a bang average adventure game with a funny script.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Doesn't the game completely ignore the TV show and loosely follows the comic instead?

The show did have an action game but it's one of the worst of the last gen. 

Everything connected to the show is worse than everything connected to the comic. The board game for the tv show is garbage, but the one for the comic book was really fun and I still break it is with friends from time to time (the expansion for it was a bit rubbish though).

• Paid Members

Not having that about uncharted. Going back and playing the first game the mechanics are very much of their time but the story gets you through it. After that the games are ace, the last one was a fantastic game. 

1 minute ago, chokeout said:

Not having that about uncharted. Going back and playing the first game the mechanics are very much of their time but the story gets you through it. After that the games are ace, the last one was a fantastic game. 

He thought Ratatouille was a masterpiece so what does he know?

The Uncharted games after the first can be really fun but I vehemently dislike the the third game as it starts so well delving into a story of John Dee but quickly forgets about that and throws you in to a bunch of set pieces which have no real link to eachother, it felt like they were rushed along mid development or a head writer quit the studio and no-one else was talented enough to continue.

• Moderators

I found the first one a slog, and gave up on it. After that, though, I'll not hear a bad word against the series. That said, I think Rise of the Tomb Raider is still my favourite adventure game in recent times. It's just the way it handled the big action set pieces that really raised the bar for me.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Fallout 3 is the best fallout game and fallout 4 is naff.... 

I think that's the general consensus isn't it?

Fallout New Vegas though may be also considered best or on par with 3.

9 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I find him really funny, but I couldn’t give a shit whether it’s ‘clever’ or not. He’s funny, that’s why I laugh. 

I also find Terence Tao to be really clever, but can’t say he’s made me laugh recently though.

Am I getting it wrong?

Seemingly so. Terence Tao isn't a comedian. Stewart Lee is trying to elicit laughs, which he does, but I think he thinks he's more clever than he is with his jokes. He has a you're with me or against me thing going on which leads to his audiences often feeling knowing and smarmy. I'm not saying all Stewart Lee fans are like that but he clearly cultivates that live when he acts superior to his crowd.

If you find him funny then that's fine but let's not pretend that his intelligence isn't a pretty big part of his who he is and his act.

• Paid Members

Stewart Lee is actually on record as stating that his performance persona is a character, not the "real" him per se. He plays a bitter, unsuccessful stand-up still playing the circuit who's resentful of the success of his contemporaries and of the audiences who don't appreciate his work.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/feb/26/will-self-meets-stewart-lee-are-you-really-ultimately-embittered-or-not