WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Paid Members

Travis Banks' pissed-off face is hilarious though. For me he's a more bland Low Ki rip-off.

Mark Andrews vs Fabian Aichner was a great little match. Always rated Aichner in his NXT outings so I'm glad it's looking like he'll get more exposure on NXT:UK. Probably the best match of NXT:UK so far which han't included Dunne.

Hinting at Eddie Dennis vs Dave Mastiff? No thanks.

The novelty of seeing the likes Ligero, Mastiff and Joe Connors on the WWE network after watching them wrestle infront of 12 people in places like Cresswell still hasn't worn off. Mastiff doing a smiley promo after his match doesn't sit with me, he needs to be angry, not cuddly.

Edited by cobra_gordo

Fabian Aichner is good.  Very good, and looked fantastic in this match.  He's quietly become one of the best young prospects in NXT and has a genuine heavyweight look now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

They should not be having Rhea Ripley selling as much as she did for the likes of Isla Dawn. It didn’t make Dawn seem like she was on Ripley’s level, it was more like Ripley isn’t as good as previously thought because she’s on the same level as everyone else.

Granted, there’s not a lot for him to do in singles at the moment, but Zack Gibson’s still wasted in the tag division.

It’s interesting to see some of these guys adjusting to and figuring out the WWE style in front of our eyes. There must be so many extra things they have to remember - like Joe Coffey having to shuffle Travis Banks around on his bottom so that they were facing the hard camera for the rest hold spot.

• Awards Moderator

Partner caught me watching some of this week’s episodes last night, and I was surprised to find she was quite impressed with it. During the Jordan Devlin-Kenny Williams match she mentioned that their wrestling style, and the smaller-scale, less glitzy setting, made it feel “more like a real sport”. 

She also pointed out that it looked like Devlin was wearing a nappy, but overall that’s still a thumbs up for NXT UK.

This week’s second episode has a great little match with ‘My New Favourite’ Marcel Barthel and Mark Andrews.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

Universe might be my least favourite McMahonism. Has no purpose whatsoever and as you say, it's awkward when it's shoehorned in all the time.

I feel the same about “sports entertainment” instead of just saying “wrestling”. Nigel McGuinness was talking about Johnny Saint on one of the latest episodes and said something along the lines of, “one of the greatest wrestlers in British sports entertainment history.” Urgh.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Them saying, "the NXT UK Universe," in promos never sounds any less awkward and daft, does it?

14 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Universe might be my least favourite McMahonism. Has no purpose whatsoever and as you say, it's awkward when it's shoehorned in all the time.

What the fuck is wrong with "fans"??? It makes people sound like simpletons when they have to refer to the noise being made by the (X) "Universe" during a match instead of just "fans."

• Paid Members

Spot on all of you regarding Universe, it's fucking horrible and sounds worse from Michael Cole sorting a shit eating grin. It's horrible.

Genuinely don't mind sports entertainment though, because that's exactly what it is. Time fans got over that one.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, PunkStep said:

Genuinely don't mind sports entertainment though, because that's exactly what it is. Time fans got over that one.

I get "sports entertainment". It does at least serve a purpose. It is shit when they use it in most context though. Like when wrestlers say stuff like "I always wanted to be a sports entertainer" or "I'm the best sports entertainer". No one not called McMahon would ever talk like that.

On 12/28/2018 at 5:02 PM, PunkStep said:

Nah, they should say wrestling, like they did when it was good. Imagine if The Rock in his heyday had to refer to himself as the most electrifying man in sports-entertainment rather than the most electrifying man in pro wrestling. We'd have all hated it and there'd have been no boom period. Unless we weren't so keen to find things to moan about back then.