WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

29 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

More quality wrestlers looking for work in the U.K? That’s what I’m assuming and hoping for. (UK based/trained talent & international stars).

As opposed to all the amazing talent that have worked dates/tours over here over the past 10-15 years or so anyway?

British wrestling has dragged itself up from the absolute death throes - it has done it on its own, as an entire group, from the generation of wrestlers and promoters that kept it on life support in the 90's and early 00's to the wrestlers and promoters that pumped new life into it and got it to where it is today.
It's unsurprising WWE wants to capitalise on that - the UK in particular has always been a strong market for them - and short term this may see wrestlers getting more money etc.

I guess I'm just a long time, jaded, cynical wrestling fan who remembers all the other promoters and territories that have got into bed with WWE. All of them thrived and succeeded and... oh, no, wait, none of them are around anymore.

I genuinely hope that this is not the case with British wrestling and realistically there will always be a scene of some description over here, I just feel a little bit at the minute that everyone getting excited over this is like the turkeys looking forward to Christmas.

Past events oftentimes are a great predictor of the future and while nobody begrudges talent like El Ligero, who have busted their arses for years on the circuit, getting a decent payday and living their dream, I just have this little niggling feeling somewhere deep down that this is not going to be a great thing for British wrestling as we know it.

Again, I genuinely hope I am wrong and I hope everybody reaps the benefits for as long as they can while they are there to be taken. I just hope WWE doesn't leave the Earth scorched behind them when they ultimately move on to their next venture. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

As opposed to all the amazing talent that have worked dates/tours over here over the past 10-15 years or so anyway?

See the word ‘more’ at the start of my sentence. 

We’ve had a great scene for the last decade or so years. My point is that we’ll continue to attract high quality imports and we’ll continue to develop high quality home grown talent... meaning the scene will continue to thrive.

So no, not opposed too.

Was wondering for a while when WWE would start reaping the benefits of this UK deal. Aside from a few guys coming over to work Axxess, they haven't really gotten much out of the whole deal other than supposed deals for Network content. Couple that with how they've been lending their lads out to PROGRESS (Gallagher, Riddle, Ohno) and you'd actually think they're being quite generous. Suppose this is where they begin though, they aren't going to jump into bed with anyone unless it there's something in it for them.

Disappointed but not surprised, really. Good on the lads who are now going to be enjoying a steady income, but it isn't good news as a fan of these promotions. As has been mentioned, PROGRESS has lost a huge amount of its shine (punk rock pro wrestling!!) and SSS:16 next year is probably the last I'll have to do with them for a while, WXW were making waves with some of their main talent gaining international exposure (WALTER, Dragunov, Gunns) but I don't remain optimistic of their chances to retain momentum. EVOLVE have always been a feeder brand, so no change there. I think they massively over-estimate the importance of ICW though, they'd be far better off dropping that and trying to hop onto the OTT bandwagon if they want to target that demographic.

2 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

See the word ‘more’ at the start of my sentence. 

We’ve had a great scene for the last decade or so years. My point is that we’ll continue to attract high quality imports and we’ll continue to develop high quality home grown talent... meaning the scene will continue to thrive.

So no, not opposed too.

Fair enough - I hope you're right. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Fair enough - I hope you're right. 

Yeah, me too. No one truly knows, but NXT being here won’t stop international talent from coming to the U.K. and it won’t prevent people from training.

If there’s a way to make money, the scene will be vibrant.

Just now, Kaz Hayashi said:

Yeah, me too. No one truly knows, but NXT being here won’t stop international talent from coming to the U.K. and it won’t prevent people from training.

If there’s a way to make money, the scene will be vibrant.

I just hope WWE doesn't reduce ways for that money to be made.
If there are less money options for wrestlers to choose, and a shallower pool of quality opponents to wrestle because WWE owns/controls the majority of them, then the scene will ultimately suffer. If local promotions can't run a venue because WWE has priority booking rights over it, or have to pull an advertised wrestler last minute because WWE says so, the scene will suffer. If companies that are on the WWE payroll have to alter their business practices to coincide with WWE's corporate agenda, the scene will suffer. 

Short term gain may be great but as for the long term benefit - you're right, who knows, it's all speculation but again, past experience shows that when the corporate giant gets involved the 'little guy' is the one who pays the price eventually. 'Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it'.

Unlikely WWE would be arsed about having priority booking rights over church halls, youth clubs and working men's clubs though... It's not like WWE have signed every single quality wrestler. The bigger indies have nothing to worry about, because these contracts allow the NXT lads to work for ICW, Progress, Futureshock, OTT, Attack and a couple of others that aren't coming to mind right now. Some smaller promotions might lose at the very most 3 or 4 regulars (thinking of Scotland there - elsewhere it's more likely to be only 1 or 2), but there are plenty of lads left over to keep things going, and even more in training schools all over the country waiting in the wings.

Good on the NXT lads who've got a pay rise I reckon, and some decent opportunities for other wrestlers to step their game up a bit. It's really no different to if WWE signed a few lads to go over to Florida for a bit.  No need for all the doom and gloom at all.

added cost of a medic at each show could price a few smaller companies out of the game altogether

a step in the right direction but will have consequences for those who may not be able to work that into their budgets. Would be faced with not using NxT guys at all but that probably isn’t long term solution as it appears that may be first step in trying to regulate the industry here.

28 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Unlikely WWE would be arsed about having priority booking rights over church halls, youth clubs and working men's clubs though... It's not like WWE have signed every single quality wrestler. The bigger indies have nothing to worry about, because these contracts allow the NXT lads to work for ICW, Progress, Futureshock, OTT, Attack and a couple of others that aren't coming to mind right now. Some smaller promotions might lose at the very most 3 or 4 regulars (thinking of Scotland there - elsewhere it's more likely to be only 1 or 2), but there are plenty of lads left over to keep things going, and even more in training schools all over the country waiting in the wings.

Good on the NXT lads who've got a pay rise I reckon, and some decent opportunities for other wrestlers to step their game up a bit. It's really no different to if WWE signed a few lads to go over to Florida for a bit.  No need for all the doom and gloom at all.

Not intending to be doom and gloom, just looking at reality.
I've said that in the short term everything will be peaches and cream - it's when all the best talent is signed in some form to WWE and the companies you mention get bought out by WWE that we could start having problems. 

49 minutes ago, PBWFan said:

added cost of a medic at each show could price a few smaller companies out of the game altogether

a step in the right direction but will have consequences for those who may not be able to work that into their budgets. Would be faced with not using NxT guys at all but that probably isn’t long term solution as it appears that may be first step in trying to regulate the industry here.

Good.  Too many low rent "Companies" playing at being Vince as it is.  If your business model doesn't account for wages and safety, then you shouldn't be operating.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Good.  Too many low rent "Companies" playing at being Vince as it is.  If your business model doesn't account for wages and safety, then you shouldn't be operating.

Yeah, I’m struggling to feel sympathy over this as well. Boxing and MMA events will have medics on hand, even “small hall” shows.

1 minute ago, Your Fight Site said:

Yeah, I’m struggling to feel sympathy over this as well. Boxing and MMA events will have medics on hand, even “small hall” shows.

Perhaps the medic should forego the wages in lieu of exposure?  Isn't that the wrestling way?

Just now, mim731 said:

In the unlikely event there is a wrestler whose day job is as a paramedic, on the UK scene, they could be about to get a tonne of new bookings. 

It might lead to confused run ins if WALTER is locked in a submission and if asked if he quits shouts NEIN NEIN NEIN.