WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

Another solid episode. Zack Gibson was great with his promo, although am I right in thinking that some of the booing had been dubbed in?

Didnt know Wild Boar was part of this, but Nigel seemed over joyed to add him to his ‘lost *insert body part* in a bar fight and was left for dead’ gang

Wolfgang also used to work in a pub, which I don’t think they’ve mentioned before

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Another solid episode. Zack Gibson was great with his promo, although am I right in thinking that some of the booing had been dubbed in?

Possibly to over-dub "Shut The Fuck Up"

Cracking couple of shows there. The roster isn’t super strong but there’s more than enough talent to hook me in. Dunne/Dar and Wolfgang/Bate delivered as main events, I liked the latter especially. Maybe it’s the old ICW fanboy in me but I enjoyed Gang, he brings something different. There was a danger that all the rope running and corner bombs would become a bit repetitive and he pulled things back and slowed it down in his match.

Obviously it’s early doors but  giving the guys more distinct entrance music would help the presentation a bunch. Gibson’s promo was fire but his entrance is completely nondescript, give me something that makes me sit up and take notice. 

I don’t think I have it in me to hate on Johnny Saint. He’s grumpy and awkward to the bone and I wouldn’t change him for the world. The look on his face during Dunne’s intro was priceless and him telling Gibson and Dar to pack it in and get back into his office made him sound less like a GM and more like NXTUKs sourly headmaster.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Late to the party on this but I'm now caught up with the first six episodes - cracking stuff thus far. Pleased to see the brand get off to such a good start in this new phase, hopefully it's getting decent enough numbers on the network as well, though appreciate that might take some time as they find their feet from a promotional perspective. 

Just on Zack Gibson - He plays the dislikable bastard so well. I’d not be against putting the strap on him and having a myriad of babyface challengers attempt to dethrone him over the next few months. One of the best promos in WWE at the moment as well. I don’t know if it’s the scouse accent that makes it more unique, but his general delivery even without that is mint. A rare case of a totally dislikable villain for adults and kids alike. Sometimes it's cool to cheer the heel in this day in age, but really we should be seeing more of this - if you don't necessarily hate them and don't buy a ticket to see them get their comeuppance, buying a ticket to be part of an atmosphere where you get to actively take the piss out of them is a fantastic modern day substitute to a modern audience. 

Nice touch with the camera shaking every time Mastiff took a step towards the ring. Fun, quick and easy squash and a unique person to showcase on the brand. Nice, slow build with him before unleashing him on the likes of Dunne etc would be a good tonic. 

I like the Jinny vingnettes - very well produced. Never seen her previous work in the ring but it’s a brilliant character in the making. Not sure if she fell during her attack on Kai, but it’s not like it was Shockmaster bad. 

I like Sid Scala as a regular, plucky jobber type. First time I’ve seen Eddie Dennis - not sure about his gear but 'twas a good match and I really like the way they’ve built up his arrival. 

Toni Storm is fantastic - only 23 too. Big things on the horizon for her. 

Every time the UK title is on the line you’re guaranteed a cracker of a match. Great story told throughout between Dunne and Burch which picked up brilliantly down the stretch. Great moment as Dunne goes to do his usual taunt, only to look in dismay as Burch gets up and then headbutts him right in the mush. Lovely. 

Is there such a thing as having too much heat? 

I'm a huge Gibson fan, I think he's the best all round wrestler in Britain. The thing is the crowd get so focused on Gibson that the baby face is largely incidental. When he points out that no one is chanting for Amir Jordan he's not wrong. 

He had a cracking match with Mark Haskins in Progress a couple of years ago but you'd have been hard pressed to notice because the crowd were so on top of Gibson that Haskins, who was Progress champ at the time, was essentially a non entity. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Is there such a thing as having too much heat? 

I'm a huge Gibson fan, I think he's the best all round wrestler in Britain. The thing is the crowd get so focused on Gibson that the baby face is largely incidental. When he points out that no one is chanting for Amir Jordan he's not wrong. 

He had a cracking match with Mark Haskins in Progress a couple of years ago but you'd have been hard pressed to notice because the crowd were so on top of Gibson that Haskins, who was Progress champ at the time, was essentially a non entity. 

It’s a good question and I can understand why some see it as an issue. I think the key is making sure he has a credible babyface foil against him who can swing the crowd in their favour with chants in support of them as the match progresss rather than jumping on the anti-Gibson bandwagon for the entirety. For lesser names not as well known to wider audiences, I think they need to take full advantage and actively engage with the crowd in unison. I’m waiting for the day when one of them takes off their own footwear in the ring and clobbers Gibson with it (appreciate that’s not necessarily practical depending on one’s ring attire!). Trent Seven’s promo on him was great and encompassed much of the above in terms of joining in with the crowd in mugging him off. 

But in general I’m all for it - it makes Gibson stand out and it’s great to see a heel with vritually no redeeming qualities getting boos all round. And he plays up to it brilliantly. Mind you, it’ll be interesting to see what kind of reception he gets at the Liverpool tapings! 

• Awards Moderator

After watching the Burch match, I was thinking: who could beat Pete Dunne? He’s been UK Champion for a year and a half now. Should anyone beat him? I think Zack Gibson is the only person who should/could. Beat Dunne in Liverpool, why not. 

The Coffeys/Wolfgang group will need a name. Coffey Who Talks mentioned a ‘kingdom’ in his promo, and Wolfgang’s the Last King of Scotland, so The Kingdom wouldn’t be a bad choice.

The match with Storm was the best Dakota Kai has been in ages.

Good pair of episodes this week.

• Paid Members

They could keep the belt on Dunne for longer if they felt that way inclined - I don’t think it does anyone any harm, further elevates the UK brand in it’s infancy and because the tapings are only recorded one weekend a month I don’t think it necessarily buggers up any of his US NXT ambitions. It probably boils down to when WWE fancy pinching him for the main roster. 

This is looking quite far ahead into the future but he might be a good one for the debut of Smackdown on Fox - if reports are true that Fox wants a sportier, more realistic feel then Dunne might fit that mould. I could see them having a field day over replays of him trying to break people’s fingers and bending people into pretzels. His work looks so fucking nasty and believable. Naturally when that call comes, if he hasn’t dropped it already then the belt’s got to be dropped. 

However, if you do put the belt on Gibson then you’ve got Dunne, Bate, Seven, Burch, Andrews, Banks etc etc all lying in wait for potential cracks at the gold, so there’s probably more options at their disposal if they go down that route.

Well wrestling fans eh? I think it was somebody here that compared wrestling crowds to the darts? I mean, at least they’re having fun and cheering the face and booing the heels I guess. But fuck me it’s distracting. 

Gibson is tremendous, he’s so easy to hate. He seems like an obvious contender for Dunne’s belt. Hats off to Toni Storm for the first good Dakota Kai match I’ve seen.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash