WWE launches new U.K. series - NXT UK

wordsfromlee

• Paid Members

Is Eddie Dennis regarded as being any good on the British scene? Last week's episode was the first match of his I've seen and fuck me, he did not impress. Shit look, shit gear, embarassing panto facials. Everything I disliked about BritWres wrapped into one.

I'm not really getting on with NXT:UK in general though. Outside of a few choice performers, I find the talent to be pretty poor. A lot of the roster seem to be playing at being wrestlers, if that makes any sense at all.

4 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Anyone know the job guy in Tyson T Bones first match? He looked nails, must be something for him to do.

His name is Jake Constantinou, a 3-0 pro MMA fighter who was also Andrade Cien Almas's opponent in Almas's Smackdown debut. He was trained to wrestle by Gareth Harris at From The Ground Up School of Wrestling in Leicester. 

• Paid Members

I think the British scene will be fine. There will be a handful of guys no longer accessible to British promotions, but new wrestlers are coming through all the time. It'll give other guys more of an opportunity to shine as well rather than seeing Ligero in every single match on every single show in every single town. A few tapings here and there isn't going to cause massive problems to the scene as a whole either.

• Paid Members

There was an initial throat lump, but I really don’t think it will impact in the slightest. There’s a plethora of amazing U.K. wrestlers who haven’t signed. 

It might momentarily mean titles need to be vacated, or a change to storyline, but it’s all good from my perspective.

I’m hoping it means that those who haven’t signed will use the opportunity to tour around the country a bit more (potentially with the hope of being noticed from their POV) and it gives me the chance to watch great wrestlers I haven’t seen yet.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I guess I'm just thinking of the whole 'Vince buys the territories' in the 80's thing.
It may be fine in the short term - more job opportunities, more money - but my concern is what's left afterwards.

More quality wrestlers looking for work in the U.K? That’s what I’m assuming and hoping for. (UK based/trained talent & international stars).

There will now be more job opportunities in the U.K, along with WWE scouts keeping their eyes open.

Also, true to form, I assume they will have a spring clean each year. Meaning those wrestlers will be available for bookings, hopefully meaning more ticket sales for the promotions that book them.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

I'm not too keen on the matter, honestly. Whilst it's great for the lads to get a bigger platform and a bit more money (despite their external bookings probably decreasing drastically from this point onwards), I've not been into the NXT-UK shows for the most part. The roster is bland and they've got their eyes set on some baffling names. Also, the WWE machine slowly kicking in and making itself known more and more which means It'll have the same old camera angles, match structures and nuances that made me grow tired of the WWE product in the first place.

I lost interest in PROGRESS due to the creative downturn (the downfall of which traces back to WWE getting involved with the company) and the same fate probably awaits WXW. EVOVLVE have always been shite though, they're evergreen in terms of bad quality.

Also, I do think there is something to be said of what happened when Vince initially played friendly with the territories back in the 80's. This isn't going to be pretty but I'll stick to being optimistic for the time being, although that feeling is losing it's luster.