Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members

I had to point out Ade Edmondson to a friend on Thursday. Edward Elizabeth Hitler on the bridge of a First Order Ship was brilliant.

Went to see it yesterday having successfully staying spoiler free all week. Absolutely loved it, but then I’ve loved all the Star Wars movies that Disney have released

The Yoda appearance was something I hadn’t expected nor heard rumours about so when he popped up I sat there grinning from ear to ear

The scene that really stood out though was during the escape scene where the general that stayed behind on the Resistance ship turned it round straight into the Destroyer and the whole film went silent for 2-3 mins to emphasise the impact

• Paid Members

I finally went to see this last night and still trying to decide whether I liked it or not. There was just so much going on story-wise that I’m still digesting the events.

I’ll jump on the hate for Super-Leia. Just a bit odd to be blown into outer space, just to then zoom towards the remaining ship like she was being reeled in on a fishing line. I don’t know if it’s knowing Carrie Fisher is dead but felt Leia could have been left there.

On the topic of on-screen death, also disappointed Snoke was offed without really revealing who he was, how he came to be, explaining his disfigurement etc. I hope—like the Luke/Ren situation—it’s fleshed out a bit in the next film, as Snoke was one those unanswered mysteries set up in The Force Awakens

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I think it's already been said in this thread, but how much did we know of the Emperor from film appearances pre-prequels?

But by the same token, I wasn’t around in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s, so not sure what the feeling was.

I just feel as though he was an interesting character and a bit let down other main characters get a backstory and not him. 

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I finally went to see this last night and still trying to decide whether I liked it or not.

I don't understand this. Either you enjoyed it or you didn't. I was able to form an opinion the moment the film finished.

• Paid Members
Just now, PunkStep said:

I don't understand this. Either you enjoyed it or you didn't. I was able to form an opinion the moment the film finished.

I don’t know. I didn’t leave feeling “That was a good film” but I didn’t leave hating it either. I just think because it’s so full-on story for the entire duration it’s a bit of a chore to get through and just left me feeling “meh”. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

But by the same token, I wasn’t around in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s, so not sure what the feeling was.

I just feel as though he was an interesting character and a bit let down other main characters get a backstory and not him. 

I think, more importantly, the Emperor's death was a million times better. The issue with the death of Snoke was it made him feel like such a nothing, when TFA teased him as something mightier.

I've typed this a few times, but it's similar to how I felt about Bane's finale in TDKR. All the build for that. I despise when they do a good job of building a villain and the end isn't up to it.

Edited by ColinBollocks
On the blower.

• Paid Members

I don't really see the problem with Snoke. It seems to me that he was never supposed to be the Big Bad; he was just the vehicle to make sure Kylo Ren became it. They couldn't start off the new films with Ren as leader of the First Order, because that would mean he was too far gone, and it wouldn't be possible to do the whole internal conflict angle with him. Additionally, they had to have Snoke as an external influence, because Ben Solo turning by himself would basically be saying he was evil from the core, needing no prompting from anyone else.

Besides, with all the stuff we've seen about the Sith and the Dark Side, just how interesting could he have been? Force lightning, nasty personality, pursuit of corrupting power - we've seen it all before. In a sense, he was effectively a palette swap of Palpatine.

Overall, it feels like the whole Rey/Ren/Skywalker arc is meant to be reflecting the Luke/Obi-Wan/Anakin arc; the idea that history is repeating, that Luke made the same mistakes in his tutelage of Ren and his fear of the Dark Side's influence on him that Obi-Wan did with Anakin/Vader. Snoke is merely a means to an end, the real monster is supposed to be Ren.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

I think, more importantly, the Emperor's death was a million times better. The issue with the death of Snoke was it made him feel like such a nothing, when TFA teased him as something mightier.

I've typed this a few times, but it's similar to how I felt about Bane's finale in TDKR. All the build for that. I despise when they do a good job of building a villain and the end isn't up to it.

Did they do a good job building Snoke as a villain though? We don’t really see him do all that much that’s villainous. He’s in charge of the First Order, and they’re evil, and he had some part in turning Ben (though Luke’s failure could have been just as much of an influence) but other than that? He issued instructions as a hologram and there’s some vague dark sidey stuff but not all that much. I’d argue most of his build was fan theorising between films. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Did they do a good job building Snoke as a villain though? We don’t really see him do all that much that’s villainous. He’s in charge of the First Order, and they’re evil, and he had some part in turning Ben (though Luke’s failure could have been just as much of an influence) but other than that? He issued instructions as a hologram and there’s some vague dark sidey stuff but not all that much. I’d argue most of his build was fan theorising between films. 

I think Snoke's unique disfigured appearance suggested that there was perhaps a more interesting backstory to be told. That fuelled the fan theories and led to many wondering whether he was actually somebody we'd seen in the franchise before. This is what happens with films like these now, you get this superfan community analysing every plot detail and trying to fill in every blank for themselves. Then they get upset when the real stories are told and either they haven't been proved to be right, or the details they thought were important were just glossed over by the new director.

In some ways, it's fair enough for fans to get upset about stuff like this, because they care about this universe. The details are important to them. However, you can't have the feature films running over three hours, so they have to focus on telling the key stories. The expanded universe exists to satisfy the superfans' demand for backstories and side plots.

That's why I had no issue with the way they dealt with Snoke in this film, his death was a major event in Kylo's character development. Snoke had served his purpose as a character.

Plus he just looked like a shit Voldemort anyway.