Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Awards Moderator

The Mandalorian is shaping up to be something very cool. As well as Herzog, you’ve got Pedro Pascal, Giancarlo Esposito, Nick Nolte and Gina Carano in the cast, plus Taika Waititi directing an episode. 

Mind, I’m equally excited about Diego Luna reprising Cassian Andor in his series so I’m not the most objective voice on this subject.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's brilliant to see him doing more acting. He deserves to have some fun having survived Klaus Kinski as well.

His Parks and Rec appearance is wonderful.

Great, now I am going to have to watch that whole series so I can enjoy it in it's required context.

Ive seen a few episodes and I wanted something to binge watch so now I have no further reason to delay.

TO THE TV THREAD!

• 3 months later...
  • Awards Moderator

Since we’ve been kicked out of the Trailers thread for talking about the Rise Of Skywalker trailer, let’s talk about it here:

- Feels like Rey’s something other than a Jedi despite the lightsaber. Luke’s voiceover felt a little bit like a continuation of the vision she had with Yoda and Obi-Wan in TFA; all the old Jedi folks helping her become the “we are what they grow beyond” idea from TLJ;

- That shot of her flipping over the ship! Amazing! But who’s piloting?

- Poe is rocking that scarf look. Love it. And that skiff chase looks intense!

- Not a lot of Kylo in the trailer. Was that a Knight of Ren he took down? I like that he’s decided to put his helmet back together as well.

- Not a lot of First Order at all in there, actually.

- I’m not convinced on this new droid D-O yet. He looks a little bit too much like a hairdryer on a unicycle for me to get invested at the moment.

- Love that the premise of the film (as far as JJ was willing to say) is the whole core gang on an adventure together. That first still they showed in the panel was almost as exciting as the trailer.

- Lando! The style. The charisma.

- Interesting that they gave us a moment of Leia in the trailer, maybe as a bit of reassurance that “no, really, we promise she’s not going to be CG’ed”. JJ said they worked scenes around what they knew they had of Carrie Fisher which makes me wonder how instrumental she might be to the plot. Still terribly sad she won’t be around for it in reality.

- Was that the Second Death Star they found at the end?

- THAT LAUGH. I got chills. How? What? Huh? I mean, AAAAGH, but... how? As long as it’s a better explanation than the old EU “oh, he had clones” rubbish I can go with it.

- Which Skywalker is rising? Cool that the type of the final Skywalker Saga film has Skywalker in the title.

- And that’s not even mentioning the stills they showed in the panel. Like the one with Snap Wexley (where was he in TLJ? Eh? Eh? And Klawd the weird giant standy up slug alien...)

I’m bound to have thousands more thoughts the more I watch it. Sorry. 

Also I assume we’re getting a Mandalorian trailer before the weekend’s out. Wish I was in Chicago!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Not a lot of First Order at all in there, actually.

JJ has said something like 'an enemy more dangerous than just light side v dark side' so they are maybe demoted. 

Have you seen "ROLL IT AGAIN!"

Yes almost 100% that is Death Star 2.

There is also a glimpse of a star destroyer, likely repurposed for the alliance. 

Kylo v Rey has been the most interesting thing in the sequel trilogy. I hope this is more of that. 

• Awards Moderator

I watched the livestream panel from my desk before I finished work last night (don't tell the IT department) so was very excited for "ROLL IT AGAIN"! I read a suggestion this morning that the enemy in question could cause the Resistance and First Order to band together, but that seems unlikely to me.

They can't not conclude Kylo vs Rey. Apparently, the 'Aftermath' novels released around Force Awakens hinted that the Emperor had several 'Observatories' around the galaxy that contained dangerous/powerful Force artefacts. Possibly the adventure of the main crew mentioned in the panel is to retrieve some of these, but Kylo's also after them? And then they find out that Palpatine's still about somehow when they go exploring?

I wonder whether all the Snoke theorists are going to re-emerge after this to ponder who he may be in relation to Palpatine (and on a similar note, I've seen some concerns that after TLJ took so much effort to "let the past die" and extend the idea of You Don't Have To Be A Skywalker To Be Special, that this trailer may make people think the new film's just reversing or ignoring all that. I don't think it will but TLJ-haters'll probably take some 'inspiration' from the idea).

• Awards Moderator
17 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

the Emperor had several 'Observatories' around the galaxy that contained dangerous/powerful Force artefacts

Horcruxes. 

There is definitely a sense that Rian was allowed too much leeway ("I started with a blank page, it was up to me") and JJ has sighed, said 'no I meant do it like this' and is about to retcon Last Jedi out of existence.