Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Awards Moderator
7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I thought there was outrage when Disney bought Lucasfilm about the books no longer being cannon. Was that incorrect or have they done a U-Turn?

No outrage. They put everything non-film into a big box labelled LEGENDS and started the lore all over again. The community shrugged and agreed. The quality control had gotten lax and contradictory, and Disney wanted to start fresh with areas books had already probed. 

Some remnants like Darth Bane and Admiral Thrawn are so popular they've been rewritten into Disney Canon. Bane popped up on the Clone Wars cartoon in a Yoda vision, backstory pretty much intact. 

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, they seem happy to grab the bits they liked from the old expanded universe (even using original authors like Timothy Zahn to work on characters like Thrawn) while scrapping all the really really shit parts (like the Yuuzhan Vong and the Everyone Has To Turn To The Dark Side For A Bit novels).

• Paid Members

Thats interesting.I knew a couple of people who had most of the books and they were cursing Disney for ruining everything. I only remember Shadow of the Empire as EU so had no idea about these extra characters. Sounds like the right decision in that case.

Which reminds me, I really need to watch Clone Wars. I watched the short series they did leading up to Episode 3, but not the CG series which followed. And I do have DisneyLife now...

• Paid Members

The Zahn stuff was good. Shadows Of The Empire was a good book, and the game is great as well. It kind of undermined the whole idea of the dangers of the Dark Side of the force when people were turning and then having an "oh dear, I appear to have made a terrible mistake" epiphanies and coming back. Jaina & Jacen's arc during the New Jedi Order books could have been interesting but fell into "I know there's good in you." territory. Also no matter how much they tried to push the newer characters the writers were either scared to or under instruction to keep as many of the older characters involved in some capacity. 

• Paid Members

I never read any of the Yuuzhan Vong stuff - a Warsie friend of mine basically implied they were an attempt to give the Star Wars universe its own version of the Borg, or perhaps more accurately Species 8472. Is that true?

• Awards Moderator
8 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I never read any of the Yuuzhan Vong stuff - a Warsie friend of mine basically implied they were an attempt to give the Star Wars universe its own version of the Borg, or perhaps more accurately Species 8472. Is that true?

Yup pretty much. They were definitely moulded around Borg-style aggression. I quite liked the trilogy around them actually; it was a really well written story.

("Warsie"? Like the Baroness?)

• Awards Moderator

I just found it ridiculously over the top, the idea of this lot coming in and killing over a trillion life forms or whatever it was, and then everything just toddles along with various Skywalkers turning to the dark side and back again. I wasn’t an EU fan!

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Yup pretty much. They were definitely moulded around Borg-style aggression. I quite liked the trilogy around them actually; it was a really well written story.

("Warsie"? Like the Baroness?)

Fair enough - if I can get through my book backlog, might have a read.

Yeah, just wanted to wind him up as he liked using "Trekkie" as a pejorative. Although I'm a Trekker.

1 minute ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I just found it ridiculously over the top, the idea of this lot coming in and killing over a trillion life forms or whatever it was, and then everything just toddles along with various Skywalkers turning to the dark side and back again. I wasn’t an EU fan!

Brexiter, eh?

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Fair enough - if I can get through my book backlog, might have a read.

Yeah, just wanted to wind him up as he liked using "Trekkie" as a pejorative. Although I'm a Trekker.

Brexiter, eh?

From a certain point of view, the Separatists were the good guys in the Clone Wars...

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
There weren't enough Star Wars references in this post

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

My first wonderings:

- Sith Trooper? Sith?

- So the Sith are still a thing?

- Does this tie into the Palpatine laugh from the trailer?

- Have they been guarding him? Was Snoke actually just his deputy? Had Snoke and the First Order imprisoned him?

- They're red so they'd fit in with the Royal Guards and the Praetorians...

- Weren't there Sith Troopers in the Old Republic games? This lot look different.

- Sith?

It's an intriguing reveal to bust out at this stage. On the face of it it's probably just 'stormtroopers BUT RED THIS TIME' but the name provokes a lot of questions when you overthink Star Wars as much as I do.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Happy to be corrected, but I was under the impression that the new films' stormtroopers are a different design to the ones from the originals. They look more a fusion of ST and clone soldier. How different do these fans want them to be?

• Paid Members

My guess would be that it's some kind of elite guard Kylo (& the Knights of Ren?) have for protection. Like those ones that weren't doing a very good job protecting Snoke in episode 8.

I mean from a business standpoint it's obviously a case of Disney telling JJ Abrams to "give us red stormtroopers so we can make different coloured models from the same mould and sell more toys".  It's almost as bad as when they decided all the Daleks would be colour coded so they could sell different ones during the first part of Matt Smith's run on Doctor Who.